PDA

View Full Version : Find me a laptop with this & at this price?

Altema
11-21-03, 06:03 PM
SIGH, its a shame but i have to return my Dell laptop. My parents are fed up trying to get a new one or at least a new hard drive. They sent us a refurbished one and my parents dont want it. I already had to reformat twice within the first month of getting it so there has to be something wrong.

so basically my computer had this

1.3 ghz pentium M centrino
512 MB ram
64 MB 9000 Radeon Mobility
54 mb wireless card already in
14.1 in X (something, XTF or something)
24x cd burner/ 8 x dvd rom drive

All that for i believe 1450.

So can anyone find me a laptop that matches that and about that price? Im trying to stay away from brands ive never heard of before and trying to stay within brands like gateway, compaq etc. So if anyone can help me find a laptop with the specs above then it would help so much ! Thank you ~!

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 08:51 PM
Why did you have to reformat twice?? Sounds to me it's because of the people using it.

zooner
11-21-03, 09:23 PM
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/25203

do some adjustments and that'll fit your bill.

Altema
11-21-03, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by TrevGlas
Why did you have to reformat twice?? Sounds to me it's because of the people using it.

I use it and the most dangerous program i had on was Warcraft 3 D=.

first time IE and a bu nch of icons lagged on start up. Windows would load but those wouldnt. Then after that came HUGE lag.....maybe a memory leak or something. Then after reformat the lag problem came up again.

Cool t hanks Zooner~!

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a software error...... especially if its fine when u reinstall, then after a while it gets slow again. It's probably because you do the same stuff over and over.

BTW memory leaks are caused by software.

As far as dangerous goes, just clicking on an email message, and seeing it in the preview pane can give you a virus. I had a similar problem, I found out that I had a virus on my re-install CD. I had all my programs that I use on a CD so when I format I could juse reload off one CD. But turns out that had a virus on it,, and everytime I formatted. About a week later, same stuff again.

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:25 PM
You should investigate the cause itself, instead of buying a new laptop. Seriously.

Altema
11-21-03, 10:26 PM
Ive heard so many solutions to my problems >_<. But even doing t he same things over and over doesnt screw up my desktop like it did my laptop. Although i did manage to fragmentize that laptop to like 60% in a week, i kept defrag and a fragged harddrive never caused me that much slow down and lag. Even after defrag it still lagged. My mom has been arguing with dell for a while. She argued for 3 hours today and still got no where. Shes even willing to pay alot more for the same laptop from another company just because shes so fed up.

Altema
11-21-03, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by TrevGlas
You should investigate the cause itself, instead of buying a new laptop. Seriously.

Not sure what else i can do. Ive gone to their tech, gone through level 2 tech, asked for a new hard drive, gotten a refurbished one i didnt want. Ive asked around here a couple of times, ive asked anyone around me in rl who knows more about computers and nothing helped. Its not like im putting t his comp on the side and buying a new one. Its gonna cost us just 16 bucks to return it and get our money back so its not that big of a deal.

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:45 PM
Tech support people dont know crap. Do you think its a coincidence that you had one hard drive, they sent you another one, and it does the same thing too?

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:46 PM
Have you tweaked your services?
Adjusted your pagefile?

Low Level Format?

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:47 PM
I'm just trying to help. I would bet money that it is just a software error.

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:48 PM
60% fragemenetd? Wow.... I've never gotten that fragmented... EVER... and I download lots of stuff. Did you get rid of all your registry errors, then compact it?
Defrag your registry? Rebuild the icon cache?

mccoffee
11-21-03, 10:48 PM
www.pricewatch.com try here

Altema
11-21-03, 10:49 PM
I havent even touched the other hard drive so nothing has happend again.

As for those three things, i have not done anything like that.

Yeah i know, but i figure even if it is a software error then it still wont stop my mom from giving it back. Her mind is pretty set because of Dell's crappy support.

I figured the problem reoccured because i used QuickStep reformat rather than just regular reformat.

TrevGlas
11-21-03, 10:50 PM
Ok, good luck with your computer search :)

Altema
11-21-03, 10:53 PM
Thanks ;) Youve been really helpful and perhaps if you were around to answer my other thread about this it wouldnt have ended up this way. :( I love that laptop :(

And thanks mc for the link.

Alas

What sucks is now my mom is deadly afraid of online purchases so now ill have to go out shopping. Luckily she said i could use the phone to order so i can at least order from gateway and get the exact same laptop. Too bad gateway's prices are so high, but HOPEFULLY the price of my laptop that i want has fallen in Gateway standards. When i ordered my laptop a bout 2 months ago it costed 1700, so HOPEFULLY it fell to 1400's.

Now she wants peace of mind and that just means no online purchasing and no "no name companies =("

Mark
11-21-03, 11:03 PM
if it was my money i would still be on the phone to tech support and make them either fix it or send me a new laptop, be tuff and stand your ground with them, how old is this PC ?

Blisster
11-22-03, 12:40 AM
if you think dell's support is bad, jsut wait till you get a Toshiba or Compaq and start having problems with it...

Altema
11-22-03, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Mark
if it was my money i would still be on the phone to tech support and make them either fix it or send me a new laptop, be tuff and stand your ground with them, how old is this PC ?

Its my mom's money and its her choice D=. I love the laptop and id probably do what you said, but shes fed up. She spent 3 hours just today talking to them trying to make them give us a new laptop. Its either get a refurbished comp or a refurbished hd. The PC is about 1.5 months old.

Really? Compaq still sucks? Okay ill buy gateway o_o.

TrevGlas
11-22-03, 11:35 AM
Gateway is a good brand. I like the Sony Vaio laptops too. My brother has one of those.

Altema
11-22-03, 01:17 PM
I like Sony laptop designs, but i hear they have next to nothing tech support. Gateway is nice, but expensive :(

TrevGlas
11-22-03, 02:44 PM
Their tech support is ok..... I had a NIC card crap out on my brothers laptop. I returned it to them, they replaced everything for free, and refunded my shipping too.

mccoffee
11-23-03, 05:41 PM
I would stay off the name brands but it is nice to have some to call if you got finger stuck in door. i say dell is a decent name brand.

You are paying alot more for a computer due to service calls and a somewhat better warranty, if you don't go with a name brand you can save about 100-200 bucks plus as far as warranty goes make sure you buy computer on the credit card if it breaks and they don't fix it tell the credit company to stop payment and have them deal with the warranty a.k.a you don't need extended warranty.

Altema
11-23-03, 06:46 PM
its my mom and she wants peace of mind. She doesnt want to refute the payment because shes doing that now with dell. Besides what no name brand would you reccomend?

Ah ic Trev. That sounds nice.

mccoffee
11-23-03, 07:06 PM
http://www.mgepconline.com/plist.asp?cid=278 take a look at thease. worse comes to worse you can swap the mem into new labtop.

keep fighting dell i forgot what brand you had. doh.

Altema
11-23-03, 07:19 PM
We are actually done with dell. My mom couldnt handle it anymore. She spent like 15 hours on the phone and she's talked to 8 different people about the problem and kept getting the run around.

(checking that site you posted ;) )
What sucks about alot of these laptops im trying to find is that they dont let you customize the video card. I really dont want integrated :(

mccoffee
11-23-03, 07:43 PM
i think there is any labtop that will let u swap cards unless i 'm out dated on technology.

Altema
11-23-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by mccoffee
i think there is any labtop that will let u swap cards unless i 'm out dated on technology.

This statement sounds funny. If you meant to say "I think there isnt any laptop that will let you swap cards, unless im out dated on technology" then it would make sense. o_o. But your saying there is any laptop that will let you swap video cards unless your outdated o_o. I would think not swapping cards is a step backwards ;)

Well the gateway models, specifically 200x, has an integrated and from what i asked you could not swap out the video cards because its in the mobo. I think t hats what they said.

mccoffee
11-23-03, 07:59 PM
What sucks about alot of these laptops im trying to find is that they dont let you customize the video card. I really dont want integrated that's what i'm trying to say all labtops have intergrated video.

Altema
11-23-03, 09:01 PM
Ah ic

I figured to get this

Pentium(R) M 1.4GHz
Microsoft(R)Windows(R) XP Home
512MB DDR SDRAM(2X256MB)
30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Intel(R)Pro Wireless 2100 WLAN (Dono if this is b or g, id like g though)
64MB Mobility Radeon(TM) 9200
15.4" WVA WXGA (1280x800)

Total –

$1,649.73

But the real total is

$ 1548.73 (w/ 100 $ mail in rebate) This total is after taxes, free shipping, etc.

Id like to get Gateways though which is

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Microsoft® Works Suite 7.0
Norton AntiVirus 90 day Introductory Offer
Mobile Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Integrated Secure Digital (SD) memory card reader
Integrated 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD slot load combo
Value Service Plan-1Yr parts/in factory labor/no on-site/1 Yr. HW & 90-day SW technical support
(1) Type II PC card slot
(3) USB 2.0, VGA, Parallel, (2) IEEE 1394 (FireWire), S-Video TV-out
15.4" WXGA TFT Active Matrix
ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics with 64MB DDR video memory
Full-sized keyboard w/ dedicated one-touch control panel and EZ pad pointing device
Integrated 20-bit sound and stereo speakers w/ Subwoofer, headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks

but that costs 1599 before taxes and shipping. they say they can get shipping off but taxes still there :(