PDA

View Full Version : First DVD burned!

Brk
11-19-03, 08:07 PM
Hitch-free!

I consolidated several CD-ROM backups on one DVD!

KICK ASS!

mwkirchner
11-19-03, 08:34 PM
PICS? j/k :D

Congratulations on your first burn :nod:

Brk
11-19-03, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by mwkirchner
PICS? j/k :D

Congratulations on your first burn :nod:

Took a little over 15 minutes at 4x, but I figure I'd spend the same amount of time doing five CD-Rs.

mwkirchner
11-19-03, 08:37 PM
Not bad ... not bad at all.

I have been looking at the new 8X ones ... still tossing it around though. Will probably break down soon and get one.

mwkirchner
11-19-03, 08:51 PM
This is the one I am thinking about getting ...

Lite-on LDW-811S 8x DVD+/-RW (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/pcdvdwriters/liteon/dvdlit811s/dvdlit811s.htm)

Brk
11-19-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by mwkirchner
This is the one I am thinking about getting ...

Lite-on LDW-811S 8x DVD+/-RW (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/pcdvdwriters/liteon/dvdlit811s/dvdlit811s.htm)

I got the same brand, just the 4x model. I've never had a single problem with Lite-On.

Immortal
11-19-03, 09:08 PM
Congrats!

Time to break out the bubbly eh?

mwkirchner
11-19-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Burke
I got the same brand, just the 4x model. I've never had a single problem with Lite-On.

So you are happy with yours? I have always had good luck with Lite-On. I have been holding off on getting a writer ... but when this finally comes out I will break down and get it. :nod:

nepenthe
11-19-03, 09:30 PM
DVD writers are starting to find their way below the 100 dollar mark.

For backups, they rock!

The Lite-On 8x, like the Plextor 8X will burn certain 4X disks at top speed. I do believe Memorex and Fuji will work.

shant,
david

>>>Edit>>> From what I have been reading, Plextor seems to work well with a greater variety of disks. The DVD blank market is quite a bit different than that for CDs. Some of the intial questions with Lite-On was their ability to work with certain disks. If you have a brand that works and you can afford, you are golden.

Brk
11-20-03, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by nepenthe
For backups, they rock!

No kidding....the consolidation factor alone is worth every penny I spent on the burner.

I backed up 70 GB of data on 15 DVDs, whereas I had nearly 150 CDs with all of the data scattered around on them.

Ghosthunter
11-20-03, 01:55 PM
No kidding....the consolidation factor alone is worth every penny I spent on the burner.

I backed up 70 GB of data on 15 DVDs, whereas I had nearly 150 CDs with all of the data scattered around on them.

damn 70 gb?

what do you store?

I am lucky to have a few hundred MB, everything else is volatile

Brk
11-20-03, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Ghosthunter
damn 70 gb?

what do you store?

I am lucky to have a few hundred MB, everything else is volatile

Loops and samples, MP3s I've ripped from my own CDs, etc.

nepenthe
11-20-03, 10:15 PM
Loops and samples, MP3s I've ripped from my own CDs, etc.

Kind of the same here. I have ripped most of my cd's and placed them on a central machine. I can call up a song on any computer in the house. With all the time it took, rest assured it is backed up.

Brk
11-20-03, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by nepenthe
Kind of the same here. I have ripped most of my cd's and placed them on a central machine. I can call up a song on any computer in the house. With all the time it took, rest assured it is backed up.

No kidding.

It's data suicide to spend hours ripping a large CD collection and NOT back it all up.

But without the non-stalwarts, the "my hard drive crashed and I lost 17,000 MP3s" threads would cease! They're hilarious.

Jeremy
11-20-03, 10:58 PM
i spent a weekend archiving about 8 hours of 8mm video onto 4 dvds...very efficient. also fit tons of source 3d video and copied a few dvds. you can do alot with dvds...like you coudl with cds a few years ago!

iaus10
11-21-03, 08:26 AM
Sorry for the threadjack, but it's related.

What do you all think the DVD standard ( + or - ) really is? I can't find any comprehensive evidence that even if I get a dual +/- burner, I'll be burning the proper format for my or other peoples' DVD player.

$95 at newegg (retail +):
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw4412.htm

$129 at newegg (oem dual +/-):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=27-106-920

Do you think the extra $$ is worth it?

Brk
11-21-03, 09:08 AM
I got the dual one...just in case.

iaus10
11-21-03, 12:37 PM
Cool. $35 as insurance that I'll have "VHS" instead of "Beta" is probably worth it.

knightmare
11-25-03, 02:32 PM
i use Nero's InCD prog which formats a dvd+rw to use like a large floppy, i put 40 various cd's (none were full), on just 1 disk so far, DVD+RW works great on DVD X Copy , i bought a 50pk @newegg for 58$, after getting burned on 11$ for 3 @ walmart.
I have a Verbatim (made by NEC) burner, and a TDK one. Just saw a $99 one- NEC @newegg, there is a pioneer which writes to all formats for $131 too. My Sony DVD Home player is very compatiable with the +R, +RW formats..