but its so damn expensive for the sizes I would need :(

Kyle
11-17-03, 11:05 PM
SATA WD Raptor ;)

Kyler1

zooner
11-17-03, 11:50 PM
why would you need large?

merely create enough to run your OS on. 18gig works great for me and it's faster then a freakin turtle.

YARDofSTUF
11-18-03, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by zooner

merely create enough to run your OS on. 18gig works great for me and it's faster then a freakin turtle.

Probably because he would liek to put all his stuff on SCSI.

Kinda loses its value if you have an OS on SCSI and 400 gigs of stuff on 7200RPM ide drives.

I agree the Raptors are the good deal right now. Hopefully SAS will reduce teh price of SCSI stuff when it hits.

Kyle
11-18-03, 12:44 AM
Seagate and Maxtor need to whip out some 10k RPM SATAs and get them prices down! :D Oh well, i can't wait for them...

*waits for newegg to get the raptors in*

Kyler1

Brent
11-18-03, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Kyler1
SATA WD Raptor ;)

Kyler1

I've got one already, but it isn't fast enough, I want the speed of Ultra 320 15,000 RPM SCSI with 3ms access time

Brent
11-18-03, 01:13 AM

For my primary system I would need a 36gig for OS/System and at least a 76gig for all my applications to install on. I might be able to get by with those amounts.

Right now I have a 36gig WD Raptor for OS/System and 2 WD 80GB SE's in RAID0 for Application drive.

To reach sizes like that with SCSI Is just so expensive :(

CM Weaver
11-18-03, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Brent
I've got one already, but it isn't fast enough, I want the speed of Ultra 320 15,000 RPM SCSI with 3ms access time

Hope you have a motherboard with a 64-bit PCI slot :)

YARDofSTUF
11-18-03, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by C.M. Weaver
Hope you have a motherboard with a 64-bit PCI slot :)

Another reason why its so expensive!

CM Weaver
11-18-03, 02:50 AM
Tell me about it :) I've got an Adaptec 39160 in a server and running all aspects of the SCSI chain (drives, motherboard, controller) are expensive.

YeOldeStonecat
11-18-03, 05:31 AM

Right now I have a 36gig WD Raptor for OS/System and 2 WD 80GB SE's in RAID0 for Application drive.

I'd want my applications on the SCSI drive too. Why install your programs to an old slow IDE drive and suffer the same slowness. I have all my apps installed on my Raptor, as well as the OS.

Installing the OS on a fast SCSI drive, and your apps to a slow IDE drive..you go to launch your application, such as a game, or photo editing software...it's going to launch slow because it's on an IDE drive. You lose the point of having SCSI doing that. You want your day to day stuff on the fastest drive. Having the OS on the fast drive...OK, she boots up fast..but how often to you reboot? Having Battlefield 1942 on the fast drive...I launch that game a dozen times a day. I want that on the fast drive.

Use your old slow IDE drive for simply storing files, downloads, etc.

zooner
11-18-03, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
I'd want my applications on the SCSI drive too. Why install your programs to an old slow IDE drive and suffer the same slowness. I have all my apps installed on my Raptor, as well as the OS.

Installing the OS on a fast SCSI drive, and your apps to a slow IDE drive..you go to launch your application, such as a game, or photo editing software...it's going to launch slow because it's on an IDE drive. You lose the point of having SCSI doing that. You want your day to day stuff on the fastest drive. Having the OS on the fast drive...OK, she boots up fast..but how often to you reboot? Having Battlefield 1942 on the fast drive...I launch that game a dozen times a day. I want that on the fast drive.

Use your old slow IDE drive for simply storing files, downloads, etc.

i must be a loser...

18gigs is enough for all my apps!

YARDofSTUF
11-18-03, 11:39 AM
i must be a loser...

18gigs is enough for all my apps!

Thats pretty good, with games?

with games my main rig breaks about 65 gigs.

Ghosthunter
11-18-03, 11:40 AM

Hehe if you think that is fast if you saw the speed of my Hitachi SAN at work...you would think everything is slow as molasses

Faust
11-18-03, 05:44 PM
SCSI is an expensive habit..... i can surely attest to that.

i just archive all the data files on another system (essentially a cheap NAS box) on the LAN, just so's i can keep the server pure SCSI (well, except for the floppy/FDC).

Joe
11-18-03, 07:54 PM

super geek alert :p