PDA

View Full Version : Thermal grease dripped on CPU what do I do ahhhhhhhhhhh

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 04:38 PM
Ok I took my HSF off my old processor, whoever put that crap on it before did an AWFUL job. It started leaking over the sidesof the processor, onto the small outcropping on the side of the processor. What do I do, I used some TP to clean most of it off, but there is some stuck int he cracks. What do I do. Help me out please.

A_old
11-17-03, 04:38 PM
q-tips and rubbing alcohol..

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 04:44 PM
Ok I got MOST Of it out, but there are a few particles, like IN the cracks. Will this hurt the CPU?

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 04:55 PM
Can someone plz answer this before I hook everything up. Thanks :)

Mark
11-17-03, 05:00 PM
if this an AMD chip make sure ya get it all out of the bridges, i think most thermal grease can be conductive.

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 05:03 PM
It is a p4, but the grease is in contact with the cpu board. I wonder if there is any way to get this out. I want to kill the guy who put this motherboard together. That's what I get for buying a mobo off e-bay.

Mark
11-17-03, 05:10 PM
i'm not sure about them P4 deals, or exactly where the grease is on your board, can you take a pic ?

maybe wet it down with some alcohol and hit it with a blast of compressed air.

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 05:34 PM
Digi camera is in the motorhome. Which is in the shop, getting maintenance. Well, there is the chip, which rests on the CPU board, and there like maybe a 1/2 to 1 CM clearance between the chip itself, and its board. There is a slight bit like inbetween the chip and the board.

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 05:43 PM
Well I'm just gonna pop it in and see what happens. Compressed air did nothing, I got all that I possibly can out with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. Wish me luck!

Thank god for the second computer :)

YARDofSTUF
11-17-03, 05:53 PM
Well either it will work, or it won't :D

YeOldeStonecat
11-17-03, 05:57 PM
No biggie just Q-tip it off. Not gonna hurt anything along the sides of the CPU.

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 05:59 PM
Its touching both the cpu, and the board underneath. In that little crevice in between. Oh well If I fry the CPU nothing I can do about it. :(

YeOldeStonecat
11-17-03, 06:01 PM
Oh underneath? Well, still shouldn't be bad to Q-tip off. Unless it ran all in between all the pins of the underside of the CPU..that might take a while. Perhaps get out some fat rounded toothpicks.

TrevGlas
11-17-03, 06:36 PM
None of it touched the pin side. It's all on the upper side. I applied AS5 to about 3/4 of the chip itself, I hope I applied it right. AS5 is super sticky.

Jstyr
11-18-03, 08:06 AM
I had to reapply my heatsink after a mobo RMA. I used AS3 with an AMD proc. Cleaning the old thermal compound off tends to smear it everywhere. I had some around bridges but the system is running flawlessly. I guess it doesn't need to be spotless.

The Dude
11-18-03, 09:21 AM
I have found that gasoline works the best for removing the old thermal past. I just dip the corner of a lint free rag in it and go at it. It evaporates quickly and doesn't leave any residue.

YARDofSTUF
11-18-03, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by The Dude
I have found that gasoline works the best for removing the old thermal past. I just dip the corner of a lint free rag in it and go at it. It evaporates quickly and doesn't leave any residue.

How did you stumble onto that one?

The Dude
11-18-03, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
How did you stumble onto that one?

I have a gas mower and snow blower. I use a little gas to clean up after I grease the snowblower. Thermal past is grease so why not. I only use a little on a rag and I do it outside. It works much faster and better than alcohol. I have alcohol pads and I have don it that way, just seems to take too long and it's messy.