PDA

View Full Version : HDTach 2.7 is out.....

Faust
11-12-03, 09:14 PM
just a heads up. was chattin with Mark about something and noticed there is a new version of HDTach out. they must have had 2.61 up for at least 3 years.

now, it supports NTFS in the trial version (so it'll work with NT and 2k/XP NTFS partitioned drives).

just like before, though.... must be registered copy before you can write test.

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

SLK
11-12-03, 09:17 PM
Sweet, thanks.

Mark
11-12-03, 09:55 PM
just to add i think you can only right to a blank drive, you could on the old version i believe.

BaLa
11-13-03, 05:45 AM
will you still need the Burst fix?..
anybody use it yet?

nm it works :D

Mark
11-13-03, 05:52 AM
here is what i got with the new version on a 80GB WD will running F@H and what not.

http://members.speedguide.net/thesnake/tach.jpg

BaLa
11-13-03, 05:54 AM
I bought and have a 160gb WD SE sitting on my desk.....haven't installed it yet....I will benchmark it..later on...

it will be the slave drive and my proc is only an XP2000

Mark
11-13-03, 05:57 AM
i just tried it on my 160GB WD drive and it will not run ??? :(

BaLa
11-13-03, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Mark
odd..

well see if it works for me..

does 13.1ms
and 57.4MB/s
sound OK for an 40gig 7200rpm Maxtor?..
couple downloads going...F@H and stuffs?..

Faust; sorry for Hijacking this thread btw...

Brk
11-13-03, 06:43 AM
I thought they'd discontinued it...

Scott
11-13-03, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BaLa
odd..

well see if it works for me..

does 13.1ms
and 57.4MB/s
sound OK for an 40gig 7200rpm Maxtor?..
couple downloads going...F@H and stuffs?..

Faust; sorry for Hijacking this thread btw...

That sounds pretty good if that is the average. My old 30 gig Maxtors only hit around 34 MB/s, 7200 rpm models.

Actually, that may seem a little high.

Easto
11-13-03, 12:08 PM
Why is that CPU usage so high? I run it on my 40 gig Maxtor and get high CPU usage marks in the low 20's also ??

Mark
11-13-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mark

i get home from work and check my storage PC, the one that has the WD 160GB drive that i tried HDtach on this morning, and i was getting a little error message down by the clock.

i wonder if this has to do with it not being able to run HDtach ?

i rebooted it and it is good so far, i checked the event viewer and it had a bunch of the same errors at the same exact time, i think that drive maybe running on the onboard raid controller in an abit kr7a-raid mobo but i need to check.

also it didn't start to give errors untill i logged in as a remote desktop user at about 4:10PM, so maybe a network deal.

there are no programs that are running on that drive, it is strictly a storage drive.

here are a few screens of the errors.................

http://members.speedguide.net/thesnake/wierd_error.jpg

http://members.speedguide.net/thesnake/wierd_error2.jpg

BaLa
11-13-03, 04:16 PM
maybe F!@H?

Mark
11-13-03, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by BaLa
maybe F!@H?

no that runs on another hard drive .

Faust
11-13-03, 06:30 PM
you tried doing a surface scan, Mark?

Mark
11-13-03, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Faust
you tried doing a surface scan, Mark?

no, how would i do that ?
i think it was an error with HD tach maybe ?
it seems fine now, no errors in the past 3 hours.

Faust
11-13-03, 07:14 PM
well, if it;s running fine now then it;s not an urgent thing.

in the win9x days, a surface scan could be done through the OS or by floppy (scandisk).

NT kernel OSs use checkdisk or chkdisk. i was told that you run chkdisk from the windows CD. you may wanna look that process up, though......... i haven;t done it since my switch to win2k.

porkchop
11-13-03, 07:38 PM
is this good?
HTTP://www3.sympatico.ca/alanzha/hd.jpg

zooner
11-13-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by porkchop
is this good?

on what?

Faust
11-13-03, 07:57 PM
is this good?

yeah. of course without knowing specifically what hard drive is being benchmarked, it;s kind of a guess. 40GB ATA100 drive..... looks like nothing is abnormal.

also, guys...... as far as the reported CPU%. for years i was never convinced HDTach was reporting it accurately for IDE subsystem tests. they were way too close to SCSI CPU utilization..... and sometimes even on par with SCSI (*scoffs*).

with the new version, i see a 1.8% to 2.5% CPU utilization on the server, and 10% to 12% on my main system (U160 SCSI and IDE respectively)....... that actually seems more realistic.

porkchop
11-13-03, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Faust
yeah. of course without knowing specifically what hard drive is being benchmarked, it;s kind of a guess. 40GB ATA100 drive..... looks like nothing is abnormal.

also, guys...... as far as the reported CPU%. for years i was never convinced HDTach was reporting it accurately for IDE subsystem tests. they were way too close to SCSI CPU utilization..... and sometimes even on par with SCSI (*scoffs*).

with the new version, i see a 1.8% to 2.5% CPU utilization on the server, and 10% to 12% on my main system (U160 SCSI and IDE respectively)....... that actually seems more realistic.
i have a Maxtor 40gig

Faust
11-13-03, 08:06 PM
i have a Maxtor 40gig

if it were in my system, i would think all is peachy. the CPU% does seem high, but i would just ignore that. i just look at it for comparative purposes, rather that as an indication that something is wrong.