PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hard drive in xp

blue lite
11-12-03, 08:13 PM
I am running xp home and my current hard drive is only 15 gigs,so I just bought a maxtor 120 gig drive,now what I would like to do is install it as a slave and then tranfer or copy my old files from the master 15 gig to the new 120 gig slave, once I have all the files on the new drive,I would then remove the old 15 gig drive and set the new 120 gig drive to master and go from there without losing anything. Now the question is, can this work or not.

TrevGlas
11-12-03, 08:21 PM
Yes.

Faust
11-12-03, 08:29 PM
^^ yep.

probably the quickest and easiest way (and most effective, in my opinion) would be to create a drive image of the first drive, then mount it on the new drive. this assuming the windows install on the old hard drive is working great/no probs.

this way you will retain your whole windows environment.... verbatim. aside from all the extra space available on the new HDD, you wouldn;t even know it was different.

YeOldeStonecat
11-13-03, 05:22 AM
If you bought a retail box HD...it usually comes with a software floppy disk which will allow you to image over your old HD to the new HD...

If you bought an OEM boxed HD...they usually don't come with the cables and software, but you can still download that software from the makers website. Maxtor I think uses a package called MaxBlast, if I'm not mistaking.

Else, you could use an imaging software like Symantecs Ghost, or PowerQuests Disk Image.

What you're saying is "Transfer the files"...well, you can't transfer your OS. You can copy files...but you won't properly transfer your OS, or properly partition that new drive. You'll need imaging software for that.