PDA

View Full Version : Com locked up during 3dMark03

phigity
11-10-03, 11:12 PM
i was running 3dMark03 and my com locked up. i got an error msg when i restarted and it said:

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
The display driver for RADEON 9700 Series seems to be responsible for the system instability.

i updated my driver for the 9700 Pro not too long ago. i thought it would be able to handle the benchmark test. any suggestions?

Brk
11-10-03, 11:19 PM
Disable Fast Writes in the ATI Control Panel.

SLK
11-10-03, 11:21 PM
When things like that happen it usually means you are overwriting your drivers instead of uninstalling them and reinstalling.

pimptrizkit
11-10-03, 11:24 PM
do do you ensure you have deleted your driver and wrote a new fresh one?

phigity
11-11-03, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Burke
Disable Fast Writes in the ATI Control Panel.

i'll try that

Originally posted by Rob P
When things like that happen it usually means you are overwriting your drivers instead of uninstalling them and reinstalling.

i thought i had done that. maybe not. i'll double check when i get home and go ahead and uninstalled the driver that is installed now and then reinstall it.

SLK
11-11-03, 09:35 AM
Also, for example if you had a 9500 pro with Cat 3.7s and you put a Radeon 9600 Pro and leave the same drivers in with out uninstalling this can also cause the same problem.;)

phigity
11-11-03, 10:30 AM
i got ya. i'll check it when i get home and post the results after benching it.