PDA

View Full Version : Questions on DVD burners

westy
11-10-03, 09:00 AM
I'm (still) looking at purchasing a DVD burner and would appreciate your ideas and opinions.

I'm looking at two different models that appear to be rated quite well. One is the Plextor PX-708A and the other is the NEC 1300A. I understand the Plextor is twice as fast as the NEC burning one type of DVD, but am wondering if it warrants the extra $ 100.00 cost difference? I will be using it to back up photo albums and put VCR tapes to DVD's, and do backups.

The other question I have is in regard to the DVD burner and installation. I have all my IDE connections used up on my mobo and will need to install a Promise controller card in one of my open PCI slots to use the DVD burner. Is there a big advantage to me going with the Promise 133 controller card or will the 100 do? I thought I read somewhere that the bus speed of the mobo (Asus P4P800) is what controlled the data flow, making the 133/100 card a non-issue.

Last but not least, being new to the DVD market, will either burner play DVD's on my PC or do I have to buy a DVD player as well?

Any other thoughts or comments for a DVD newbie ?

As always, thanks for your help & ideas!

zooner
11-10-03, 10:42 AM
I have the nec 1300a and I've been happy with it, however I have since read there are some issues with it. Luckily, I havent come accross these issues myself.

what are in your ide channels that they're full?

no difference between the 100 or 133.

yes, the dvdrw will play dvd as well. It'll also burn cdr's too, something I think the plextor does much better then the nec.

zooner
11-10-03, 10:43 AM
if you buy the plextor, you could pull your burner out and save the money on the controller card.

westy
11-10-03, 10:45 AM
I have two hard drives on the primary and a ZIP drive and the Lite-on CD-RW on the secondary.

zooner
11-10-03, 11:06 AM
that's what I thought...

instead of buying a controller card, buy a usb enclosure for that zip drive. It'll be cheaper or about the same price and work out better overall I think.

westy
11-10-03, 11:44 AM
USB enclosure ? Internal or external ? Do they make one to fit into an empty bay ? Can you give me an example ?

Thanks !

cyberskye
11-10-03, 01:52 PM
USB is external. He is suggesting that you buy an external enclosure so that the zip drive sits on your desk and connects via usb. You can then move it around easily to other machines.

With a CDR and a DVDR, I can't imagine why you'd still want a zip drive internal...

westy
11-10-03, 02:25 PM
Good point. It's just an old habit for automated backups of Quicken and important documents.

cyberskye
11-10-03, 02:27 PM
Also - check which sw package comes with your burner - I know that the version of Nero/InCD I had didn't like it at all - system crashes, etc. Something about the RW was making my W2K system touchy...

gieslel
11-11-03, 12:24 AM
Nero blows

nepenthe
11-11-03, 05:59 AM
The Plextor seems compatible with more brands or media. It willwrite at 8X with a few brands of 4X DVD+R disks.

shant,
david

Brk
11-11-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by gieslel
Nero blows

:rolleyes:

wee96
11-11-03, 11:45 PM
Nero seems to work just fine for me...

zooner
11-12-03, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by gieslel
Nero blows

very insightful. Glad you could offer so might insight into the topic at hand.