PDA

View Full Version : how's the x1000 compaq persario laptop?

zooner
11-10-03, 05:58 AM
this is jsut at the VERY edge of my budget. However, it seems like a better value then a comparable dell.

Custom X1000 series notebook
- Pentium(R) M 1.4GHz
- Microsoft(R)Windows(R) XP Home
- 256MB DDR SDRAM(1X256MB)
- 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
- DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
- Built in 56K modem+10/100 LAN
- 15.4" WVA WXGA (1280x800)
- 32MB Mobility Radeon(TM) 9200
- 8 Cell Lithium Ion battery
- hpshopping in-box envelope

That's the setup I chose. I could make the 9200 have 64megs of ram for $50 more, but i doubt it'll be worth it unless I play games at a higher resolution.

any thoughts?

YeOldeStonecat
11-10-03, 06:11 AM
While Compaq makes great business model laptops (Armada's, Evo's)....I try to urge people to stay away from their disposable line of computers.....the Presarios.

zooner
11-10-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
While Compaq makes great business model laptops (Armada's, Evo's)....I try to urge people to stay away from their disposable line of computers.....the Presarios.

I'm coming to the same conclusion concerning the x1000

what would you suggest, considering my max after rebate price of about $1100.

at least a 30gig HD, cdrw/dvd, 256meg... what I'm looking for.

YeOldeStonecat
11-10-03, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by zooner
I'm coming to the same conclusion concerning the x1000

what would you suggest, considering my max after rebate price of about $1100.

at least a 30gig HD, cdrw/dvd, 256meg... what I'm looking for.

What happened to your current laptop? That the one you're selling in the classified forum?

If you are shopping for new, I highly recommend ou spec one out with a gig of RAM...as you do video editing I believe. Simply huge difference. With WinXP I like 512 megs of RAM just to beging to be adequate for every day apps. Editing is more system intensive...hence the boost to a gig. Laptop have slower hard drive systems. On a desktop you want to have adequate RAM so as to minimize virtual memory use as much as possible. The is even more so on a laptop. 256 megs with WinXP leaves you with not much room for doing anything without needing pagefile use.

zooner
11-10-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
What happened to your current laptop? That the one you're selling in the classified forum?

If you are shopping for new, I highly recommend ou spec one out with a gig of RAM...as you do video editing I believe. Simply huge difference. With WinXP I like 512 megs of RAM just to beging to be adequate for every day apps. Editing is more system intensive...hence the boost to a gig. Laptop have slower hard drive systems. On a desktop you want to have adequate RAM so as to minimize virtual memory use as much as possible. The is even more so on a laptop. 256 megs with WinXP leaves you with not much room for doing anything without needing pagefile use.

that is my current laptop that is up for sale.

I was going to buy a laptop HD to use as an external storage device. Then, I considered buying a dvdrom for it as well.

Suddenly, I realized that it would only take a small additional investment to buy a whole new laptop. I would be losing a little in batteries and extras.

zooner
11-10-03, 08:57 AM
hmm... since i'm in college, I could get this is seems:

p4 2.66
14.1 xga
512megs
24xcdrw/dvd
30gig HD
32meg radeon 7500

for 967, not bad.

Dunster
11-10-03, 09:33 AM
Zooner,
My two cents here....
If you are doing video editing, like YeOld said, you need 512megs MINIMUM. I would personally put 512 meg MINIMUM in any computer now.
The 30 gb hard drive will fill up fast, so you will need to burn lots to the cds (or transfer via lan)
I also have a similar laptop 2.4 P4, 512 RAM, 40 GB HD, but mine is a 64 meg Radeon 7500. You will probably need a video card with 64 megs if you are going to do much video with it. I like to watch movies on the road with mine.

Just something to consider if money is an issue....
You can buy a refurbished Dell (maybe HP also?). They do come with 1 year warranties, so if something goes wrong, it should within that time frame.

Don't cheap yourself out because of the money. You will just be unhappy with the laptop.

Jeremy
11-10-03, 09:44 AM
if you want a good notebook, i would try to spend closer to $1500. much less, and you're probabl looking at an entry-level one that you could have difficulty with later on. lots of ppl have good reviews about the dell 5150, although a bit heavy and expensive, is well-stocket for video editing (3ghz chip is the biggest benefit).

i find it impossible to video edit more than 1 hr of DV at any time on any laptop, including my own (the dell 8500). the drives are way to small, and the new 60/80GB ones are too expensive (hence, why i'm going to rely on external drives).

dell's memory is expensive. get the memory somewehre else.

there are some reasonably good and cheap toshiba ones i dont' remember the model name of, but as longas you don't mind low-res 1024x768 screens and average video, you get a fast chip and a large drive for a relative bargain.

zooner
11-10-03, 10:07 AM
to clarify what I plan on doing with it...

I probably wont do ANY video editting on it. Most of my hobby revolves around capturing and authoring anyway, with very little actual editting taking place.

I plan on using it for these basic functions:

1 watching svcd's, vcd's, and dvd's
2 ripping dvd's into vcd's (for backup)
3 playing some moderate gaming at lower resolutions - max payne 2 for example
4 wireless browsing
5 perhaps some mpeg2 authoring, perparing to burn to dvd.

As you can see, my current laptop comes very close to furfilling my needs.

I have browsed the refurb'ed before. I find them to be a tad expensive considering.