PDA

View Full Version : Cable and jumper questions

torsten
11-10-03, 03:23 AM
I have a wd800jb hard drive. The IDE cable has to be attached so that Pin 1 matches the correct side of the cable. BUT pin 1 is not marked on the drive. Which side is it on? It seems that every manual and instruction guide screams at you to be sure to line up the pin 1's correctly, but they're not marked on the device or motherboard!! What's up with that?

Does the polarity of the LED and switch leads matter? Mobo manual offers no help with that. What about the single pin front USB connectors? Does it matter which way they fit on the pin?

Should both the hdd and CD be configured as master if they're not on the same cable (and nothing else shares the cable)?

YeOldeStonecat
11-10-03, 05:43 AM
The ribbon cables usually have a notch in the center of one side, so that it is foolproof when you connect the cables because the mobo and HD each have a cutout to receive that notch. Some ribbon cables used to come without that notch....but I don't believe I've seen one of those in a long long time, like since before the new 80 wire ATA-66 cables came out. Are you using a new 80 wire ribbon cable?

Rule of thumb...notice one edge of the ribbon cable will have a pink/red single wire along the outer edge....that side will go towards the molex (4 pin power connector) of your HD. Remember...''Pink to power".

On your motherboard.....look closely at the IDE connector...there will be a "1" towards one corner. There always is.

Flexibility if set to master, or cable select. Some mobo's prefer one way, some prefer it the other way, others don't care which way you choose. If using cable select, that usually only works well if you have a cable select compatible ribbon cable.

torsten
11-10-03, 11:32 AM
Ah yes, the notch. I should have noticed that. It IS one of the 80 ribbon ones -- came with Asus motherboard and has a white edge. I had read somewhere that pin 1 was usually nearest the power connector, but then saw a pic of a floppy where that wasn't true, so confusion set in.

The hdd came set to cable select but I'm gonna set it to master. Same with the CD. I just wanted to make sure I could set both to master. The assumption is that master/slave only applies to devices on the same cable.

Does the polarity of the panel 1 leads and USB wires matter? The wires are a mix of red/black, purple/white, etc. I'm thinking the color should give a clue to something.

YeOldeStonecat
11-10-03, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by torsten
Ah yes, the notch. I should have noticed that. It IS one of the 80 ribbon ones -- came with Asus motherboard and has a white edge. I had read somewhere that pin 1 was usually nearest the power connector, but then saw a pic of a floppy where that wasn't true, so confusion set in.

The hdd came set to cable select but I'm gonna set it to master. Same with the CD. I just wanted to make sure I could set both to master. The assumption is that master/slave only applies to devices on the same cable.

Does the polarity of the panel 1 leads and USB wires matter? The wires are a mix of red/black, purple/white, etc. I'm thinking the color should give a clue to something.

Yeah...floppy drives can often follow the tune of a different drummer. No golden rule for them.

Your assumption is correct about master/slave...that's when two devices are on the same ribbon..you cannot have both master or both slave. If you have a cable select ribbon and cable select compatible BIOS..you can leave both as cable select. On most motherboards...even if you just have a single drive per cable...many will let it work if it's master or slave.

Polarity of the cables...I usually try to get them right, but to be honest with you....I've seen so many people not care and just pop them in in any order...that I don't think it really makes a difference.

The USB...if I remember right, you should have 1x pin missing in that block...to guide you as to which way is fastens to the mobo.

torsten
11-10-03, 12:16 PM
Thanks YOSC.
The moment of truth for all this should coming soon enough. I guess I'll know for sure about those USB/leads then. As long as it's not gonna fry anything, I don't mind tweaking.