PDA

View Full Version : video card fan problem

Nspyr
11-08-03, 05:00 PM
i have a asus ti 4200 video card.... when i start my computer the card makes a funny vibrating type of noise...but it goes away in like 10 sec... i think the noise gets longer as the days pass...

is it because it rubbing agaisnt something or not enough grease?

any suggestions what it is...and how i can fix it?

YARDofSTUF
11-08-03, 05:06 PM
Make sure nothing getting caught on it and that its dust free.

TrevGlas
11-08-03, 05:07 PM
All my case fans do that for about 5 seconds after I use the air-duster crap on them.

Nspyr
11-08-03, 05:09 PM
nothings caught, and i've blown the dust away.. could it be a dry bearing? if it is...what type of grease do i put on it

Nspyr
11-08-03, 05:10 PM
oh ya... and the sound is more like a whining noise in and out in and out

TrevGlas
11-08-03, 05:22 PM
I need an answer to that question myself. Sometimes they make a labored noise.

The Dude
11-09-03, 10:54 AM
I had a HSF that did that, MBM showed a drop in RPM for that fan also. I pulled the label back and oiled it. Didn't last long, I replaced it. If it had been any other fan instead of the HSF I would have left it in till it died. I used WD40 on it, maybe I should have used something else?

westy
11-10-03, 09:53 AM
Time to replace the fan. I've had three different card fans do the same thing. Now my Thermaltake one is getting noisy too. Oiling is a temporary fix, or it was for me.

Mark
11-10-03, 03:48 PM
saturday i did some work on a secondary PC of mine and when i rebooted i noticed the fan on the 9500pro was not spinning at all.

i turned it off, pulled the card and fan and it was very hard to turn even by hand :(

i took a OEM fan from a AMD xp2400 HSF and screwed it to the card, only 2 screws lined up with the video heatsink but it worked well.

now the system can run 3d mark 2003 and 2001 for hours and not crash like before, wonder how long the fan was dead for :rolleyes:

it is a good thing i don't use it for gaming, because it may have fried or something, those cards get damm hot.

the best thing was it was a fan that was just sitting there looking for a home, cost to me nothing :)