PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up Corsair XMS RAM on the k7n2 Delta Nforce2

velvta
06-07-03, 06:54 PM
OK, I got the dual channel Corsair XMS series ram ...1gb (yeah i guess I'm cool now) running at pc3200 at 2226. It apprently either doesn't work correctly with the k7n2 delta, or I just don't have it configured properly. At default bios settings, I was getting problems with restarting windows..I'd get the error code "decompressing bios image to ram" on the led bracket, and I'd have to just shut down and power on repeatedly until i was lucky enough to get the system up.

So, i was wondering if someone can explain to me how to set this ram up correctly in the bios? I'm running an xp1800. I dont know if it's a tbred, if that makes a difference.

here's the options in my bios:

fsb dram ratio: spd/auto/or a whole bunch of other numerical ratios
ras:
rcd:
rp:
cas latency:

Can anyone tell me what these options should be set to?

By the way, I'm probably going to exchange this board for another brand , as it seems that my OEM version of WinXP will not install on this board. I have no clue why. Depending on what MSi says, I will either go with their suggestions or just get a new board. I already attempted the epox 8rda+, and it arrived DOA (not surprisingly according to the epox forums at amdmb.com), so i sent that back, payed the 15 dollars shipping, PLUS the 13 dollar restocking fee at newegg.

So theres 30 bucks out of my pocket for nothing. Pus I payed the 11 dollars for the 2 day shipping for the original order of the epox board and the Corsair ram, which did me no good whatsoever, so tack on another 11 dollar loss. Now I may have to send this board back and possible even the RAM if it turns out to be the ram's bad. Theres another potential 20 dollars shipping, and 15 buck restock fee. This is friggin insane. I mean one of the big benefits of doing it yourself and buying online is SUPPOSED to be that it's cheaper. O well.

I think next time I upgrade I'm going to forego the whole do it yourself stuff and just go back to buying pre made systems, this just isn't worth it for me, in the sense of aggravation, or the pocketbook.

Anyway, rant's over.

JawZ
06-07-03, 06:58 PM
Can Win98SE address 1 gig of Ram? To my limited knowledge...it chokes on anything after 384MB's.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp&NoWebContent=1

Duzmor
06-07-03, 07:00 PM
Try-

fsb dram ratio: spd/auto/or a whole bunch of other numerical !100%ratios
ras:6
rcd:2
rp:2
cas latency:2

If you have 2 sticks of Ram - use slot #1 and Slot #3

Did you Boot Windows Xp from the CD rom ????

Duz !!

Jstyr
06-07-03, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't try CaS latency 2..I'd relax mem timins as MUCH as possible..that means higher numbers..not lower. I'm almost positive the OS not installing and your boot problems are a result of the memory.

Try a Cas latency of 2.5 or 3.0...just to get the post and OS installed...you can tweak it more afterwards.

velvta
06-07-03, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by UOD
Can Win98SE address 1 gig of Ram? To my limited knowledge...it chokes on anything after 384MB's.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp&NoWebContent=1

Yeah i heard it can't , thats why i'm trying to get WinXp installed, but, of course, that's easier said than done.

velvta
06-07-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Duzmor
Try-

fsb dram ratio: spd/auto/or a whole bunch of other numerical !100%ratios
ras:6
rcd:2
rp:2
cas latency:2

If you have 2 sticks of Ram - use slot #1 and Slot #3

Did you Boot Windows Xp from the CD rom ????

Duz !!

What do you mean by "
fsb dram ratio: spd/auto/or a whole bunch of other numerical !100%ratios"

Also, I have 2 sticks of ram, but the way the board is set up, they have slots 2 and 3 set aside for any dual channel ram, which is what I have.

And yes, I booted win xp from the cd rom. It installs allt he way up entering the product id, and it tells me it is an invalid id, which is BS, because I've installed off this cd before. A moderator at the MSi forums told me this board wont install an OEM version of WinXp it needs to be retail. So that's why unless MSI tells me they will have fix ASAP, the board's getting shipped back.

velvta
06-07-03, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Jstyr
I wouldn't try CaS latency 2..I'd relax mem timins as MUCH as possible..that means higher numbers..not lower. I'm almost positive the OS not installing and your boot problems are a result of the memory.

Try a Cas latency of 2.5 or 3.0...just to get the post and OS installed...you can tweak it more afterwards.

OK thanks I'll try and see if the timings have anything to do with windows telling me my product key for XP is invalid.