PDA

View Full Version : Hey guess what...new parts issues...

Bastid
06-05-03, 10:43 PM
ok....just got a new MoBo and some ram today...tried to install it and guess what lol
nothing happens...well the fans, hard drives spin up lights come on and nothing not even a flicker on me monitor...

AMD TBred 900 (no OC)
MSI KT2 Combo: <Newhttp://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=408&MODEL=MS-6764

GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (no OC)

512 MB Corsair 133 SD Ram <New

20 gig Maxtor HD (Freshly formated, no os)<posible prob?

PSU for some reason felt kinda hot to me but ive never paid attention to it before so i dont know...its a pos...it says something like 113/230v <another posible prob?

the D-Bracket feature gives you codes via leds if something is wrong somewhere...the code its throwing at me is: Early chipset initialization. I have left the puter on for some time now and no changes...about 15 minutes

oh yeah bout forgot...the manual said that 512 mb ram wont work unless im running win2kpro...well i dont have an os installed yet...but even so after the first few tries i replaced with a 128 i had still nothing...

any help would be really kewl cus um i told some ppl that i was going to be catching up to them in folding when i got this thing up and i dont go back on my word!!!!
lol

TIA

Bone

Brk
06-05-03, 10:46 PM
Make sure the switch on the PSU is set to 110 and NOT 230.

Clear your CMOS and report back.

Bastid
06-05-03, 10:52 PM
psu was set @110

popped the bat jumped the jumper
and....
nope same thing...
hard drives think...stop thinking and then idles but no monitor nothing

D-Bracket is the same lights too, no change

Set
06-05-03, 10:55 PM
Try reseating the ram cpu and vid card clear the cmos and give her another shot

Bastid
06-05-03, 11:39 PM
ok that popped something loose...still no video, but i got 2 beeps with like about 2-5 seconds maybe in between, and was accessing the floppy...
everything else is the same

Jstyr
06-05-03, 11:55 PM
You need to isolate the problem component. Remove expansion cards and extra memory modules one by one except the video card. Power on an attempt a POST after each removal. Hard drives shouldn't be effecting the post but go ahead and just disconnect them if you have too. Eventually you should get a POST...this will signal where your problem is.

Hope this makes some sense...I'm tired...pissed off...and having hardware problems of my own. Let us know what you find out.

Jstyr
06-06-03, 12:01 AM
Also look up your BIOS type and do a search for error codes. your mobo's manual might have them as well. 2 beeps with pause in between on my Award BIOS I belive is a RAM issue. Make sure your DIMM slots are clean. I once had a memory from installing RAM after getting a haircut. Bits of hair must have fallen in the DIMM slot and shorted it. I had to use compressed air to clean it out.

Bastid
06-06-03, 03:39 PM
both hard drives?

Jstyr
06-06-03, 03:56 PM
Yea...I could be wrong on this but I don't see why you'd need hard drives to POST into BIOS. All that information is stored in ROM onboard.

Bastid
06-06-03, 04:19 PM
searched the web site and i could not find the beep codes thing
but it will beep wait a about 3 seconds access the floppy and beep again for about 4 beeps and then the light on the floppy stays on...
nothing else is happening

YeOldeStonecat
06-06-03, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Jstyr
Yea...I could be wrong on this but I don't see why you'd need hard drives to POST into BIOS. All that information is stored in ROM onboard.

If you have a bad HD, it can prevent successful POST. Unplug EVERYthing...floppy, cd, HD, NIC, sound, modem, USB stuff,...

Bastid
06-06-03, 04:32 PM
ok everything unplugged...
the only things plugged in are keyboard n mousecpu and fan, ram, case lights n switches

nothing happened not even beeps...

it seems like though i only get the beeps like once after i reset the CMOS...after its been fired up once it no longer beeps

Jstyr
06-06-03, 04:48 PM
unplug the case lights as well.

Bastid
06-06-03, 04:55 PM
cpu fan kicks on and thats it

Jstyr
06-06-03, 05:24 PM
Try plugging in a differnet video card if you have one. My mobo uses the same chipset and my manual suggests this to try.

I don't know what else to tell you...except unplug EVERYTHING..case fans all of it. Try moving the RAM around into different DIMMS..use some compressed air and blow those DIMM's AGP and PCI slots out good. Check any jumpers on the board (if it has them) and try different configurations. I had a friend whose Albatron board would not boot because the manual listed the jumper settings incorrectly.

If all these things don't work I'd try RMA'ing the board. Also I notice your board takes either DDR or SD-RAM...not sure if it auto-detects but make sure it's set for the proper RAM type if there is a jumper. Your video card uses DDR RAM I beleive...not sure if this could be a problem.

lansens
06-06-03, 08:11 PM
I had that board before. I had tons of problems! I think you might have a ram issue. I couldn't get post with some OCZ ram but got it with K-Byte. You might want to check the website to see if they have recommendations for ram.

Bastid
06-06-03, 11:02 PM
ok i got a post when i set the jumper for the fsb from 133 to 100 and used a stick of 256mb of pc100 ram, ok one hurdle down lol

THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big hugg ;)

Bone

Bastid
06-06-03, 11:28 PM
HAHAAAAAAAa its installing 2KPro wooooooooooooots

*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*
*doin the happy dance*

Bastid
06-07-03, 03:25 AM
wooots...coming to you live from NUMBER-2
lol thnx guys all of you....

big huggz? cmon

Bone

Jstyr
06-07-03, 02:12 PM
Glad it's up and running...see I told you to check those jumpers :p

Bastid
06-07-03, 02:32 PM
i had no clue....lol
i don like messin with jumpers...but now i gotta figure out why it wont run the ram fsb @133mhz.....
would the cpu have anything to do with that like if the cpu can only run @ 100mhz, would that make the ram also run @ 100mhz?

and if so how would i be able to find out what the cpu will run?

its an AMD 900 thats about all i know