PDA

View Full Version : CMOS checksum error

Jstyr
06-05-03, 06:55 PM
Trying to get the new P4 setup going but I'm having a problem. I'm able to POST into BIOS under defaults. However I get a CMOS checksum error. Here is what the readout looks like.

Main Processor Intel Pentium 4 (R) 1.20Ghz (100x12.0)
Memory Testing 524288K OK
CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40 Ghz
Hyper Threading Technology CPU Detected

Now, when I go into CPU Softmenu it shows

CPU Operating Speed 2400(200)
Estimated New CPU Clock: 2.4Ghz

Now, when I try and reboot it won't post. No error beep, just blank screen. I've tried manually defining the CPU to run at 2.4Ghz but same thing. Also you can see my memory test states 524288K but I have 2 512 sticks in the system. Funny thing is duel channel DDR comes up activated...as the stick are in slots 1 and 3 (which is how manual says to activate duel channel). I'm just fookin confused..can't understand why the thing won't POST.

I do have one case fan hooked up to the Motherboard..could this be drawing too much power from the 400watt PSU? I have 3 60mm fans total.

Plz help muh!!

Brk
06-05-03, 06:59 PM
Clear your CMOS via the jumper.

When you boot again, REload the defaults and reboot.

Jstyr
06-05-03, 07:18 PM
Allright Burke your a freaking GENIUS!!! Processor is being detected properly after loading fail safe defaults. Kinda weird cause i cleared CMOS via jumper several times and could of sworn I'd restarted PC without changing defaults. Anywho, THANKS AGAIN!!

Problem #2 My Mushkin DDRII 512 modules are showing up as 256!!! What in the sam hell is up with this??? I've checked the RAM and it's clearly labeled 512. Any ideas?

Brk
06-05-03, 07:26 PM
Mushkin DDRII?

Jstyr
06-05-03, 07:27 PM
Yea

Jstyr
06-05-03, 07:29 PM
Ok something weird. before I did as you suggested I took out my PCI network adapter and the second stick of DDR. I also unplugged the case fan that went into the mobo. I got a post on fail safe defaults like you suggested but now that I've plugged evrything back in (memory, pci card and fan) it won't Post again. Not even after clearing jumper manually and load defaults.

Jstyr
06-05-03, 07:55 PM
Well I tested POSTs unplugging things one at a time. Finally got it to load the defaults after taking out the second stick of Mushkin. So I'm fairly sure it's the memory. I also swapped the sticks in DIMM 1 (still keeping only 1 stick total) and it did POST. Now I'm really confused because not only is the memory reading wrong (each stick reads 256mb's), but it seems with both sticks in the system won't POST.

Ken
06-05-03, 08:23 PM
Specs, what mobo? Which BIOS? Did you flash?

Brk
06-05-03, 08:37 PM
ABIT board, right?

Jstyr
06-05-03, 08:56 PM
Abit IS7-E. I haven't flashed but I may look into it. I'm having all kinds of problems. I finally got the board to boot with both sticks of memory in but it still shows only half the total(512mb).

I'm trying to get the SATA HD's into a RAID format but it's damn confusing. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to install windows first and then set up the RAID or vice versa.

Tried installing windows XP Pro and got an error. Blah..I'm frustrated...

Enabling the SATA is a pain. I'm only showing 1 drive. Now I think my mobo manual says if I enable both SATA controllers I lose my IDE capability. Can't have that cause then my drives won't function. I'm really confused atm.

Jstyr
06-05-03, 09:09 PM
Tryinf to install windows and getting unable to copy file errors. Also get a page fault error when I quit out of setup. Page fault error is memory right? I think it's this CRAP-ASS Mushkin.

I'm going to try flashing the BIOS if A-Bit has a new one at their site.

:(

EDIT* no new BIOS for this board on A-Bit's site.

LT-73
06-05-03, 10:08 PM
The board isn't even listed:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_search_process.jsp?pTYPE=Bios

Brk
06-05-03, 10:53 PM
What speed are the Mushkin sticks? The IS7-E uses the Springdale-P chipset, which doesn't support the 800 MHz FSB and only supports Dual DDR333...but I don't see why that would cause any problems.

Brk
06-05-03, 10:55 PM
You need to go to the ABIT USA site for this board.

Official Page
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=80

Downloads
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/biosdriver.php?categories=1&model=80

Brk
06-05-03, 11:01 PM
Are you sure both sticks are fully seated in the DIMM sockets?

Have you tried them in DIMM 2 and DIMM 4?

Jstyr
06-05-03, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Burke
You need to go to the ABIT USA site for this board.

Official Page
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=80

Downloads
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/biosdriver.php?categories=1&model=80

Those are the very pages I used to research the board and have been looking at lately. According to those pages it should support DDR 400. BIOS showed it as 400 as well.

The big smack in the face is....the specification page has been changed. I cannot prove this but, as little as a week and a half ago that board was listed as ICH5-R and supporting RAID 0 only. I remember it clearly because not only did I write A-Bit an e-mail AND post on their forums asking them to clear it up but I clearly remember reading the "supports RAID 0" and thinking how glad I was since a strip format was what I was wanting.

The reason why I posted on the forums and wrote an e-mail (no response) was because the ambiguity on the specification page. The top "blurb" says it is a board "for those without the need for onboard RAID". However the specification sheet showed otherwise. Seeing the ICH5-R and serial RAID 0 support I went ahead and bought it.

Well it doesn't support onboard RAID. And I've already sent the RMA request in for it and the Mushkin RAM as well. No idea why that Mushkin was only showing up as 256 but I'm not going to waste my time. I'll wait for the RMA to process and then decide whether I'll buy my new board and RAM from Newegg or not. I'm fairly pissed at having to pay hefty restocking charges because of someone else's mistakes.

Here's a link to Newegg's product description on the board. Notice the last line "Onboard SATA: 2 channels Serial ATA 150MB/s RAID"

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-127-156&DEPA=1

What a hassle....but this machine will get built.

Brk
06-06-03, 12:55 AM
The specs that show DDR400/800 MHz support are for the IS7, but not the IS7-E.

Jstyr
06-06-03, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Burke
The specs that show DDR400/800 MHz support are for the IS7, but not the IS7-E.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=80

scroll down to the memory section...it says

Memory
- Four 184-pin DIMM sockets
- Supports 4 DIMM Single/Dual Channel DDR 400 memory
- Supports 4 DIMM DDR400 up to 4GB

This is for the IS7-E model.

Jstyr
06-06-03, 01:18 PM
On a happier note...I just called Newegg tech support and they agreed to waive the re-stocking fee.