PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Failure?

Arsonist
06-04-03, 11:28 PM
I really REALLY hate asking for advice on a forum I have helped no others on but no others forums I frequent have been able to help at all...

For about the last 6 months my game has been unable to play a certain game: Morrowind. Crashing and restarting my computer constantly. Fortunately Morrowind is known for its crashing abilities so I assumed I was one of the many who got screwed on the purchase.

Anyhow, I recently purchased Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and had the same thing happen, but instead of an automatic restart, my computer went to a blue screen with the words Hardware Failure on it. I now have obvious reason to believe my computer has been behind my gaming issues all along.

Now I am going to have to somehow figure out what component of my computer is messed up. Hopefully with a little help from any of you computer experts who frequent this forum. Any advice on finding the issue or common problems that are similar to what I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Arsonist. )O(

Norm
06-04-03, 11:32 PM
Post your system specs and OS, it might help someone help you.

Have you checked your event logs? (If it's an NT based system)

Set
06-04-03, 11:42 PM
Up to date on your vid card and chipset drivers?

Need more specs

Norm
06-04-03, 11:46 PM
I'm off to sleep.

One quick guess before I go.

Sounds like it could be heat related. Check your fans and temps.

Arsonist
06-05-03, 09:18 AM
Ack. I probably should have stuck around for a little while. Sorry.

Post your system specs and OS, it might help someone help you.

Have you checked your event logs? (If it's an NT based system)

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+
ASUS A7N266-C (Nvidia Corp nForce Chipset)
768 DDR-SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti-4600
Creative SB Live! Value
XP Professional

Yes I have checked my logs, I don't know if the system dump is not allowing it to save information from the crashes but I see no info regarding them.

Up to date on your vid card and chipset drivers?

Absolutely everything is up-to-date. I have also tried various older drivers after a fress format in an attempt to fix the problem with no success.

One quick guess before I go.

Sounds like it could be heat related. Check your fans and temps.

You may be right. I haven't checked the heat during either game, but my system sits at: (According to SiSandra)

33.0 C/ 91.4 F - Mainboard
41.0 C/105.8 F - CPU

If you can reccommend a program that checks the temps during the games, I would be happy to check that out.

maroon
06-05-03, 10:19 AM
You may want to test your RAM. Use Google for memtest and try that.

kieofwoo
06-05-03, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Arsonist
You may be right. I haven't checked the heat during either game, but my system sits at: (According to SiSandra)

33.0 C/ 91.4 F - Mainboard
41.0 C/105.8 F - CPU

If you can reccommend a program that checks the temps during the games, I would be happy to check that out. [/B]

Your idle temps are fine.

You can set up SiSandra to log your high and low temps. Set this up, and play your game and see what telps the computer reaches.

Alternatively grab "prime" or folding@home (check teams forum) and run them to get your CPU to full load, and watch your temps increase

Arsonist
06-05-03, 01:52 PM
Allright, spent the last hour downloading a few mentioned programs.

As far as the RAM testing program, I ran it for an hour with no errors. It did about 600 cycles.

As for heating, the games crashed at various temperatures but both the CPU and board temps went up approx. 3.5 C before the computer restarted. 3 times.

YARDofSTUF
06-05-03, 01:58 PM
have u done a virus scan recently? do u have another videocard to test? is the ti4600 OCed?

Arsonist
06-05-03, 02:32 PM
Video Card is not overclocked. I have tried the games after a fresh format so I don't think a virus is the issue and the only other video card I have is too old to work with these games.

*edit* reboot = format.

Norm
06-05-03, 03:44 PM
I guess tempature isn't the problem. Those temps look ok, even with the 3.5 degree increase.

Is this problems with those games only, but ok in other apps etc?

Have you tried those games in compatabilty mode?
You can run them in compatability modes for dos, 95, 98 etc

You might want to reseat all your hardware like PCI cards AGP card, IDE cables etc. There may be a loose connection on something that only causes problems when stressed.

May even be a bad power supply, have you got one you could swap with?

SLK
06-05-03, 03:59 PM
PowerSupply maybe too weak for your hardware.

How big is it?

fastchevy
06-05-03, 03:59 PM
What version of DirectX do you have?

Arsonist
06-05-03, 04:38 PM
I guess tempature isn't the problem. Those temps look ok, even with the 3.5 degree increase.

Is this problems with those games only, but ok in other apps etc?

Have you tried those games in compatabilty mode?
You can run them in compatability modes for dos, 95, 98 etc

You might want to reseat all your hardware like PCI cards AGP card, IDE cables etc. There may be a loose connection on something that only causes problems when stressed.

May even be a bad power supply, have you got one you could swap with?

All other applications are fine. Even all other games. Have reset everything other than all things going to my hard drive. (bad past experiences) I have a 430 watt power supply but no other to swap it with. I also doubt that is the problem considering that I can play other somewhat new games for hours on end. (Neverwinter Nights for 9 hours straight a few weeks ago.

PowerSupply maybe too weak for your hardware.

How big is it?

430 watt. Should I upgrade?

What version of DirectX do you have?

I have tried both 8.1 and 9.0. Both after fresh formats.

Norm
06-05-03, 04:46 PM
How bout compatabilty mode?

Have you tried it?

Arsonist
06-05-03, 04:57 PM
*edited*

Okay, I tried every type of compatibility possible. Win95 let Hitman 2 last about 30 minutes which was quite suprising, but in the end it still crashed. All of the others either would not allow the game to load or slowed everything down badly.

Ken
06-05-03, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Arsonist
430 watt. Should I upgrade?

Depends... Is it a generic, no name? Did it come with the case?

I did read 1 article where a similar prob existed and was solved with a good psu. Bad psu's can cause many "unexplained" things to happen... I only buy Antec True or Enermax. (Not saying there is no other good ones, just my pref! ;) )

AGP slot on mobo could be bad. I remember ASUS had switched to a cheaper module some time ago, had probs and went back with the better one...

Cheap or incompatable RAM can also cause this type of prob...

Heat can cause this type of prob...

The mobo itself could be bad...

To be honest, substitution is a good way to solve this type of problem, however, on the occassion, certain types just won't play nice together...

Give this link a read...
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/2321/

Arsonist
06-05-03, 08:26 PM
It is an Enermax Power Supply.

The Dude
06-06-03, 09:21 AM
Might want to check this setting.
Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature:
Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab.
Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings.
Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

This may give you a chance to see an error message.
I think the Log settings are on the same panel.