PDA

View Full Version : Is this HD bench a little low?

Massa
06-01-03, 11:32 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/111834/hdbench.JPG

This is a Western Dgital SE 80gig with the 8mb buffer. I have it running on a Promise Ultra133 TX2 ATA/133 PCI contoller card. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

Massa

Faust
06-01-03, 11:49 PM
drive is partitioned (more than one partition)? recent drive defrag?

honestly, Sandra's HDD benchmarks are notoriously unreliable. varies every time you benchmark, and if you have multiple partitions, it can monkey with the results.

looks like you are running winXP (?), so HDTach wont work for you (it;s probably the best and most relaible out of all the synthetic benchmarks).

you can also try ATTO to benchmark the drive.

don;t have the link offhand, but i am sure one of the other helpful guys around here can help you out with that.

loop2kil
06-02-03, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Faust
drive is partitioned (more than one partition)? recent drive defrag?

honestly, Sandra's HDD benchmarks are notoriously unreliable. varies every time you benchmark, and if you have multiple partitions, it can monkey with the results.

looks like you are running winXP (?), so HDTach wont work for you (it;s probably the best and most relaible out of all the synthetic benchmarks).

you can also try ATTO to benchmark the drive.

don;t have the link offhand, but i am sure one of the other helpful guys around here can help you out with that.

I use HDtach with winxp and it seems to work ok....or are the results just fubared because of xp?

Faust
06-04-03, 04:35 AM
I use HDtach with winxp and it seems to work ok....or are the results just fubared because of xp?

i was under the assumption that you needed to buy/register HDTach for it to work with a NT-based OS (which you probably have). but since he (Massamune) hadn;t used it, i assumed he didnt have the full version.

loop2kil
06-04-03, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Faust
i was under the assumption that you needed to buy/register HDTach for it to work with a NT-based OS (which you probably have). but since he (Massamune) hadn;t used it, i assumed he didnt have the full version.

Mine is registered, so that might be it then :)

Dan
06-04-03, 09:52 AM
I have the same HDD & a promise controller .
and using WIN2k pro,here is what I get. :)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1t0wl/sandrafilebm.jpg
very similar score,I have no partitions on this drive.
my promise controller is built in to my mobo and it's ata100.
and I'm using 2003 sandra standard v 9.44

and remember also,that this drive is ata100 not 133.