PDA

View Full Version : Asus mobo's - Which one ?

westy
06-01-03, 09:35 AM
I've narrowed my mobo search down to two different models and am looking for opinions on which is the best choice and why. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two in common terms ?

Asus P4S8X-X

ASUS P4SDX

I've been reading over all the sheets on these two and can't seem to see much difference. Also, what's the -X mean on the Asus P4S8X-X ? I see they have a Asus P4S8X model too.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated !

YeOldeStonecat
06-01-03, 10:43 AM
Any reason you're not peeking at the Springdales?

Cypher
06-01-03, 11:09 AM
This one by far as Cat said.
http://www.insightcomponents.com/ic/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=asup4p8009
You can get a great price on one of these.

westy
06-01-03, 11:27 AM
I don't think I'll be buying a HT P4 anytime in the near future, so I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and save some cash. I have a WD 120 GB 8MB cache HD I'm waiting to put in, and figured I'd add a new mobo as long as I'm reinstalling windows. I want something less expensive but reliable and overclockable.

YeOldeStonecat
06-01-03, 11:40 AM
Asus P4B533 is pretty inexpensive, the nice solid 845 chipset.

Cypher
06-01-03, 11:47 AM
Well how do you feel about AMD? You can get an Asus A7N8X-DLX for $79.00 and a XP 2500 for $96. Thats what I'm using now. The MB has the best on board sound I've ever heard and alot of other features. My 2500 has been running at 2.31 GHz for months rock solid with a SLK-800 HS on it. It will bench right up there with a 3.06 P4 in many areas. I'm not trying to start a flame war here. Thats just the best bang for your buck from my own personal experience.;)

koldchillah
06-01-03, 01:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the SiS chipsets.. IMO, they kinda suck... Springdale is where its at now.. As much as I hate to say it, and I've always regarded Asus as my first choice (and still do for the most part), the Abit IC-7 is absolutely smokin' and a majority of the reviews I've read place it a step above its Asus counterpart.. may be worth a glance if your still open to other brands.. either way, asus still makes a kick a$$ board and if ya really want to save and go for the SiS chipset, then I suppose Asus would be the way to go..

Mehmet
06-01-03, 01:20 PM
if i were you my friend, i would get a springdale and just sit on it.. with a NON HT enabled CPU.. or a non 800 mhz CPU..

YARDofSTUF
06-01-03, 01:40 PM
i woul recomend going with the springdale boards as well.