PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between "DC DDR" and "DDR2" ??!??!

Thor Walez
06-01-03, 05:59 AM
I know the nforce2 uses dc ddr ... (which is not that performance up I wanted it to be...)

Also geforce FX use DDR2 (e.g. 1000mhz speed [2*500=4*250] ???) -->ddr2 = quad dram !?

:confused: *confused*

-Thor

YARDofSTUF
06-01-03, 06:58 AM
DDR2 is a newer technology, cant tell u the real deal on it tho, cuz i dont know lol

Cypher
06-01-03, 11:01 AM
This might help:
http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20020325S0065

Brent
06-01-03, 11:51 AM
DC DDR is Dual Channel DDR, it allows dual memory bus's to operate to increase bandwidth. For example instead of just one 128bit memory bus, you can now use two 128bit memory bus's. Two memory controllers on the northbridge.

DDR2 is an evolution of DDR. It runs cooler, uses a higher voltage and allows higher clocked speed. However, the timings are SLIGHTLY slower then DDR, so clock for clock DDR is better with faster timing. But the advangtage of DDR2 is the higher clocks it can achieve. It still is calculated just like DDR, x2. It is not QDR. Instead of 400Mhz DDR2 it is actually better to have 400Mhz DDR (since the timing is faster), which Hynix just came out with I believe. But to get higher speeds 500Mhz + you have to use DDR2.

DDR2 chips could be used for DC DDR. But right now it is still too expensive really for RAM on mobo's.

el bob
06-01-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Brent
DC DDR is Dual Channel DDR, it allows dual memory bus's to operate to increase bandwidth. For example instead of just one 128bit memory bus, you can now use two 128bit memory bus's. Two memory controllers on the northbridge.

DDR2 is an evolution of DDR. It runs cooler, uses a higher voltage and allows higher clocked speed. However, the timings are SLIGHTLY slower then DDR, so clock for clock DDR is better with faster timing. But the advangtage of DDR2 is the higher clocks it can achieve. It still is calculated just like DDR, x2. It is not QDR. Instead of 400Mhz DDR2 it is actually better to have 400Mhz DDR (since the timing is faster), which Hynix just came out with I believe. But to get higher speeds 500Mhz + you have to use DDR2.

DDR2 chips could be used for DC DDR. But right now it is still too expensive really for RAM on mobo's.

Thanks for the explanation.

You just saved me a google'ing experience.

Brk
06-01-03, 02:13 PM
Not to mention DDR2 will not work on current chipset/mobos. All new stuff ya gotta get.

Brent
06-01-03, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Burke
Not to mention DDR2 will not work on current chipset/mobos. All new stuff ya gotta get.

thats not true, ddr2 is just the chip on the ram module, nothing about the motherboard has to support it

its just like ddr according to the mobo, there isn't any inherint difference

think of it as 'faster ddr' thats all

oh, i guess it does have to support it for new voltages and stuff

so yeah, mobos have to support it, my bad