PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 and Ethernet card

Brandon_k_W
05-31-03, 06:19 PM
i am using win95 on an older computer of mine, and i can't seem to get to the internet. i cannot even find internet explorer on windows 95, do i need to download it?

are there certain settings i have to put in for my NIC card?

the NIC card is a 3com 3c905c-tx

YeOldeStonecat
05-31-03, 06:33 PM
Pretty much not different than Windows 98, except 95 if I remember right will add all the protocols (TCP, NetBEUI, and IPX) when you install a NIC...you can remove NetBEUI and IPX.

Internet Exploder 3.0X is with 95...the early versions, unless you have Win95 C or D, which came with 4. It'll be in the programs menu...just not a big blue "E" like you're used to, but this little globe icon.

Brandon_k_W
05-31-03, 07:11 PM
Found that, Thx.

i am mostly having trouble trying to configure it all. it's not reading my NIC i believe, and i set up all the options to automatically give me an IP, and i enabled DHCP.

YeOldeStonecat
05-31-03, 07:13 PM
NIC showing up properly and healthy looking in Device Manager?

TCP/IP bound to the NIC?

WINS disabled in TCP properties?

Brandon_k_W
05-31-03, 07:23 PM
NIC is showing properly in device manager.

it says under the bindings tab that tcp/ip is bound with Client for MS Networks

Wins is disabled.

i also have DNS disabled, IP address is obtained automatically, and everything is cleared in the gateway

YeOldeStonecat
05-31-03, 08:19 PM
Try downloading and installing the DUN 1.4 (Dial up networking)...it upgrades the TCP stack and Winsock files. Small enough to download via modem, or on another computer and transfer via floppy disk.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUNetworking/dun14win95/Default.asp

Other times, completely removing all clients, adapters, and protocols...rebooting, and letting them load again, can help clear it up.

Brandon_k_W
05-31-03, 08:53 PM
does that program also work for using a cable modem? because i do not have the dial-up on it

YARDofSTUF
05-31-03, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
does that program also work for using a cable modem? because i do not have the dial-up on it

ur dust dling it to get an updated winsock and tcp stack

YeOldeStonecat
06-02-03, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Brandon_k_W

Yes, upgrading TCP also covers NICs since TCP can be bound to a NIC.