PDA

View Full Version : Are the performance gains from OC'ing worth it?

X-Nemesis
05-30-03, 04:44 PM
Hey there...I've never OC'd before and just wondering if it's worth it for the performance gains in gaming and other application tasks such as video encoding and such? For example...I'm wanting to build my first system...I'm gonna go with the new intel p4 800mhz cpu's...probably the 2.6 or 2.8. If I OC one of those to say 3.0 or higher will I see huge gains in speed all around?

This is probably a dumb question...I know obviously it'll be faster...just curious if it's a very noticeable difference?

Brent
05-30-03, 04:49 PM
yes

LT-73
05-30-03, 05:09 PM
Yup, what he^ said :D

Cypher
05-30-03, 05:56 PM
Trust your instincts than. The answer is yes. When you raise your FSB on an OC you are increasing the bus speed where data is transfered throughout your system. The Intels @ 800mHz are actually running four 200 mHz busses. This in turn eliminates bottlenecks and data collisions in most cases. Your core frequency multiplyed by your FSB determines the speed of your proc. Increasing this value increases the systems performance. Voltage is than increased to supply more current for the higher demand on these components. This adds to increased heat and the need for better cooling. Memory is also a major factor here too. It will limit how far you can push your FSB.
Plain and simple I have an AMD 2500 with the FSB @ 200mHz, the multi @11.5 and the voltage @ 1.775 (1.650 is stock). It opperates at 2.3GhZ rather than 1.85. Thus this chip has all the attributes of a 3200+.:D

X-Nemesis
05-30-03, 07:35 PM
so what quality parts would I need to add to a regular system for cooling and such in order to take advantage of oc'ing and keep the system safe?

And is it pretty simple to oc if you've never done it before or is there are large learning curve?

:rolleyes:

Blisster
05-30-03, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by X-Nemesis
so what quality parts would I need to add to a regular system for cooling and such in order to take advantage of oc'ing and keep the system safe?

And is it pretty simple to oc if you've never done it before or is there are large learning curve?

:rolleyes:

getting your first small overclock and subsequent increments thereof is easy, just a few tweaks. It's once you start really trying to push it that it gets trickier managing heat and voltage issues. for starters I would say just to get a good HS/fan combo (like an SLK or ThermalTake Volcano9) and see what you can get. Remember, baby steps grasshopper!!!

Also, pick either the video card or CPU and start with either one or the other. Once you find the ceiling on the one, then bring it back down and go to work on the other. (Don't forget to take lots of notes on your settings!) Once you figure out the linitations of each seperately, then you can got for the dual OC's where it will realyl start to show. Also use benchmarking programs like 3Dmark or games like UT2K3 so you can see the 'real-world' results(or lack thereof) of your efforts.

good luck and keep us posted.

Cypher
05-30-03, 08:56 PM
Great advice.:D Reading is crucial so you have a better understanding of what you're doing. SG is the right place to learn. We'll help you out as much as we can. Here are a few good links on this subject to get you started:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/community/forums/
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=267
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1 (Best site for BIOS info.)
http://www.hardforums.com/index.php?

Do some reading and go grab some benchmark utilities. I use Futuremark 2001 & 2003, WCPUID, and Sandra. Go little bits at a time than run a bench to test for stability. Keep a log of your settings and their results, as this data is vital. When you find your max inch it back like 5% than do some real world testing (ie game and run folding). Also keep an eye on your temps. I would suggest MBM5 or whichever utility came with your MB.

;)

Lightstream
05-30-03, 11:01 PM
It is worth it but it shortens the life of your CPU.

nepenthe
05-30-03, 11:15 PM
I would say...... maybe.

Consider the financial outlay of additional funds to coax the last bit out of a CPU. I sometimes wonder if just simply buying the better chip and not spending the additional cash for the high end fan, RAM etc.

For ten or fifteen percent, I do not think it is worth spending any additional money. The neat thing is that some CPU's have some fine o/c capabilities with nil to marginal outlay.

shant,
david

Brent
05-30-03, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Lightstream
It is worth it but it shortens the life of your CPU.

yes it shortens the life of the cpu

no it doesn't matter

it doesn't shorten it enough to make any difference because you will not be using that CPU in a die hard server situation where stability is paramount, also you will not have that cpu long enough for it to matter

Norm
05-30-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Brent
also you will not have that cpu long enough for it to matter A few seconds if you make the wrong mistake :D

Blisster
05-30-03, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Norm
A few seconds if you make the wrong mistake :D

LOL.........paging LT....

LT.........anyone?

loop2kil
05-31-03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Blisster
LOL.........paging LT....

LT.........anyone?

lol :)

sorry LT it was funny

Humboldt
05-31-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Brent
also you will not have that cpu long enough for it to matter

Why is this ALWAYS assumed in these discussions?

Not singling anyone out, but there are lots of us here with sub 1GHz systems that we've kept for years.

Brent
05-31-03, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Humboldt
Why is this ALWAYS assumed in these discussions?

Not singling anyone out, but there are lots of us here with sub 1GHz systems that we've kept for years.

and those years still aren't as long as the 'shortened life span' by overclocking

again i will say, you won't have the cpu long enough to matter

YARDofSTUF
06-01-03, 12:38 AM
OCed or not, whens the last time anyone had a cpu die of old age? lol

dont think anyone has, i still have a 15mhz 286 amd chip in working condition!