PDA

View Full Version : preliminary analysis of my 9700 Pro

Jstyr
05-30-03, 04:35 PM
Well it justa rrived this morning and I've been running a few benchmarks and playing some games. I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed. It's sort of hard to explain why. My favorite FPS is Army Operations so I've been comparing it mostly using that. My old card was a GeForce3 ti200.

In some ways I like the card because it seems as if I'm seeing enemey's faster. Maybe they are being rendered faster and I never realized the lag before. BUT, my big concern is Frames per Second. It just seems this card will drop to 30, 20 and even lower frames per second whenever I'm outside and an in a fire fight..or inside a large room and in a fire fight. It definitely happens when people are firing. Sometimes even if they are behind me and I can't see them. Maybe this is the fault of the game engine...but my old Geforce3 didn't experience quite as much slow down in active environments. Also I don't notice any frames per second improvement under normal conditions. If anything sometimes my old Ge3 had better FPS than this Radeon. I'm using the latest catalyst drivers and have set all the options to performance mode. I'm just stumped as to what it can be. :(

Brent
05-30-03, 04:39 PM
1.) Do you have the latest chipset drivers for your mobo installed? (4n1's for your mobo)

2.) Do you have the Catalyst 3.4 drivers installed?

3.) Do you have the control panel installed?

4.) Are you sure AA and AF are disabled in 'normal' conditions you are testing?

Those are my first questions

Also realize your system is not fully utilizing the 9700 Pro, you are very system limited right now with your mobo/bus. But still you should be getting frame rates then you are getting now. Go ahead and answer my questions first though.

The Goog
05-30-03, 04:52 PM
Is this on your new system with the springdale or the system in your sig?? If it's the one in your sig then I venture Brent is right in that the system is not fully utilizing the Radeon.

On a side note I played Army operations for like a few weeks before returning it but when I had it it was running silky smooth.

Jstyr
05-30-03, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Brent
1.) Do you have the latest chipset drivers for your mobo installed? (4n1's for your mobo)

2.) Do you have the Catalyst 3.4 drivers installed?

3.) Do you have the control panel installed?

4.) Are you sure AA and AF are disabled in 'normal' conditions you are testing?

Those are my first questions

Also realize your system is not fully utilizing the 9700 Pro, you are very system limited right now with your mobo/bus. But still you should be getting frame rates then you are getting now. Go ahead and answer my questions first though.

1) I don't have the latest Via 4 in 1's. I have the 4.46 and the latest is 4.47. I'll go ahead and upgrade that.

2) I do have the 3.4 Catalyst's installed. Installed them directly WITH the control panel as soon as booted up with the Radeon.

3) Control panel is installed

4) According to control panel the lowest setting for AA and AF appears to be 2x. There is also a setting for "application preference but I haven't used that. I have them both set at 2x.

Everything else is set to performance mode.

Yes I thought it might be my bus speeds. I'm running a duel pumped 133Mhz bus with only AGPx4. I'll have to see how the new 4 in 1's work out tomorrow. Going to have to go to work this evening. Or maybe I'm missing something in the control panel.

*EDIT Goog- This is the system in my sig.

Brent
05-30-03, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Jstyr
1) I don't have the latest Via 4 in 1's. I have the 4.46 and the latest is 4.47. I'll go ahead and upgrade that.

2) I do have the 3.4 Catalyst's installed. Installed them directly WITH the control panel as soon as booted up with the Radeon.

3) Control panel is installed

4) According to control panel the lowest setting for AA and AF appears to be 2x. There is also a setting for "application preference but I haven't used that. I have them both set at 2x.

Everything else is set to performance mode.

Yes I thought it might be my bus speeds. I'm running a duel pumped 133Mhz bus with only AGPx4. I'll have to see how the new 4 in 1's work out tomorrow. Going to have to go to work this evening. Or maybe I'm missing something in the control panel.

*EDIT Goog- This is the system in my sig.

Update the 4n1's, but i doubt that will do much. Always good to have the latest chipset drivers though, can't hurt.

The setting "Application Preference" if checked disables that setting.

So for Anti-Aliasing if you check "application preference" so that the slider is grayed out that means AA will be OFF (or more accuretly controlled by the app, but for all intents and purposes, off)

Same thing for Anisotropic Filtering.

When you set the AA to 2X and have the application preference un-checked then you have 2X AA enabled.

For Anisotropic Filtering you can crank that up to Quality 8X. That should provide an excellent balance of texture quality + speed. But you can adjust it as neccassary.

What you might want to try since you are having performance issues right now is to disable both AA and AF. Set both to Application Preference.

Then go play games and see what happens.

Also make sure to DISABLE VSYNC.

Its a slider in both the D3D and OGL tabs, pull it all the way to the Left, disabling VSYNC. This will help your framerate, you won't be limitted to the vsync of your monitor. It will also help the minimum fps because it will no longer be a multiple of the refresh rate. Or you could force Triple Buffering in a game if it has the option and keep vsync enabled. But if no tripple buffering option in game then disable vsync.

And thats another thing, don't forget, there are two tabs. One for Direct3D and one for OpenGL. The settings are set seperatly for each, so keep that in mind for what game you are playing.

Jstyr
05-30-03, 06:45 PM
Thanks Brent, I'm going to get working on those suggestions.

By the way....have I told you lately that your sexy? :D

Brent
05-30-03, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Jstyr
Thanks Brent, I'm going to get working on those suggestions.

By the way....have I told you lately that your sexy? :D

buttsecks = no

Blisster
05-30-03, 09:39 PM
I'm not so sure about Americas Army, but I was very dissappointed in the performance of my 9700Pro while playing Rainbow Six:Raven Shield, which uses the same engine as AA. I was getting like 25-35FPS at 1024x768 with everything set to high+AA and AF and Vsynch. I tried everything and still didn't get the results I expected out of a $300 video card. However they released a new update for RS:RS and my framerates sprung up to 65-75 at same settings, so it COULD be that AA hasbn't been properly tweaked yet to support the ATI next gen (and 9700) cards??? just a guess.

On the same note, I was at the same time getting 100FPS on BF:Desert COmbat at 1280x??? with everything set to high, AA and AF crancked way up too (beautiful textures, not a jaggie in sight!) so I knew that the card didn't suck.

good luck man

Jstyr
05-31-03, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Blisster
I'm not so sure about Americas Army, but I was very dissappointed in the performance of my 9700Pro while playing Rainbow Six:Raven Shield, which uses the same engine as AA. I was getting like 25-35FPS at 1024x768 with everything set to high+AA and AF and Vsynch. I tried everything and still didn't get the results I expected out of a $300 video card. However they released a new update for RS:RS and my framerates sprung up to 65-75 at same settings, so it COULD be that AA hasbn't been properly tweaked yet to support the ATI next gen (and 9700) cards??? just a guess.

On the same note, I was at the same time getting 100FPS on BF:Desert COmbat at 1280x??? with everything set to high, AA and AF crancked way up too (beautiful textures, not a jaggie in sight!) so I knew that the card didn't suck.

good luck man

Thanks for the info man. I kind of had a feeling it was the game engine. Nothing I can put my finger on but it's my hunch. The card just seems like it's working harder than it has too. Perhaps rendering things offscreen or that are blocked from view. I'm going to install some other games and see how they run. peace-