PDA

View Full Version : overclocking software

Humboldt
05-30-03, 12:34 PM
I'd like to get a modest oc on a P3 500 chip in a Zida BX98-3D running XP with 384 MB RAM.

If the clock ratio is locked on P3's my only option is to change the FSB, no?

The next jump up from 5x100 is 5x112...it'll reach the splash screen but then puckers.

Question: Can anyone suggest programs similar to SoftFSB or CPUFSB?

I've tried both of them, one doesn't have the correct motherboard or PLL IC...the other has a similar PLL IC but not quite the same.

I have a Cypress/ICW W127H and it lists W127x, but it doesn't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas on similar programs I'd be grateful. Thanks

Humboldt
05-31-03, 12:57 AM
whump

Mehmet
05-31-03, 02:59 AM
what are you options through the bios humby?

if you can hit 112 and still reach the splash screen, i think if you raise the voltage to the chip a tad, you could hit it. i think..

Ken
05-31-03, 08:12 AM
Humby,
Overclocking software is a toughy...
First, unplug the power source, then strip off a molex connector and skin the plastic coating coating off the wires. Next, you will need to lay the hard drive on the floor of the case. Take the striped wires and insert them into the screw holes on the harddrive. (*tip* some tape will help to hold them in place!) Next, go to your electrical breaker box and throw the switch to turn off power to the electrical outlet that you will be plugging you computer in to. Then head back to computer and plug it into wall. Grab a cellphone (*tip* You must have a cellphone in hand!) then go back to breaker box. Press 911 on cellphone, then throw the breaker back on and at the same time hit send on your cellphone. When they ask you what is your emergency, tell them you need some firetrucks immediately... :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl:
WARNING-This method is for 100% IDIOTS! Do not try this at home! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Humboldt
05-31-03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Mehmet
what are you options through the bios humby?

if you can hit 112 and still reach the splash screen, i think if you raise the voltage to the chip a tad, you could hit it. i think..

That's what I was thinking too...it'll get to the desktop even, then freeze.

Any idea where I could find the information on how to change the voltage? I assume it's motherboard specific.

Ken...:nope:

Ken
05-31-03, 09:57 PM
Humby,
Increasing the voltage was the only way I could think of to overclock software... Just a problem with getting the extra voltage inside the harddrive! :p :D Now I have heard of tweaking software! :D :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(Sorry bud, just being a SA! :D )

Mehmet
06-01-03, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Humboldt
That's what I was thinking too...it'll get to the desktop even, then freeze.

Any idea where I could find the information on how to change the voltage? I assume it's motherboard specific.

Ken...:nope:

um... it should be near the clock adjustments in the BIOS.

if not, pick up your manual and look for Core voltage adjustment..

Humboldt
06-01-03, 02:29 PM
um... it should be near the clock adjustments in the BIOS.

if not, pick up your manual and look for Core voltage adjustment..

Nope and...nope.

On my Abit it's there in the BIOS, but not this Zida.

Could've sworn I saw something where a guy was changing it on the board itself.

Mehmet
06-01-03, 04:02 PM
Nope and...nope.

On my Abit it's there in the BIOS, but not this Zida.

Could've sworn I saw something where a guy was changing it on the board itself.

hrm, thats interesting to say the least.

maybe there are jumpers for it? check to see if there any jumpers on your board, and try and find out what they do.

good luck man.

Humboldt
06-01-03, 04:34 PM
hrm, thats interesting to say the least.

maybe there are jumpers for it? check to see if there any jumpers on your board, and try and find out what they do.

good luck man.

No jumpers, all auto

I've given up on this, it's at 500 MHz and I do believe it's going to stay at 500 MHz:D

Mehmet
06-01-03, 04:39 PM
No jumpers, all auto

I've given up on this, it's at 500 MHz and I do believe it's going to stay at 500 MHz:D

hehe, well, its probably a board like the shuttlepcs have, FSB adjustments but no voltage..

dont worry humboldt, you probably learned a lot just by upping the FSB and messing with things.. no?

Humboldt
06-01-03, 05:05 PM
hehe, well, its probably a board like the shuttlepcs have, FSB adjustments but no voltage..

dont worry humboldt, you probably learned a lot just by upping the FSB and messing with things.. no?

Heh.........no:D

I'm no hardware wiz by any means and DID learn a lot putting the system together, but it stopped there when the frustration kicked in.

All I've been able to do is up the FSB and watch it pucker, lower it and watch it run...nothing that informational (if that's not a word then it should be:D).

I get your drift though, and I guess if nothing else I learned you can't oc a Zida:nope:

Mopwr2u1
06-02-03, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Ken
Humby,
Overclocking software is a toughy...
First, unplug the power source, then strip off a molex connector and skin the plastic coating coating off the wires. Next, you will need to lay the hard drive on the floor of the case. Take the striped wires and insert them into the screw holes on the harddrive. (*tip* some tape will help to hold them in place!) Next, go to your electrical breaker box and throw the switch to turn off power to the electrical outlet that you will be plugging you computer in to. Then head back to computer and plug it into wall. Grab a cellphone (*tip* You must have a cellphone in hand!) then go back to breaker box. Press 911 on cellphone, then throw the breaker back on and at the same time hit send on your cellphone. When they ask you what is your emergency, tell them you need some firetrucks immediately... :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl:
WARNING-This method is for 100% IDIOTS! Do not try this at home! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ROFLMAO ken that was the funniest thing ive seen in a while