PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive issue

Riptide
05-30-03, 08:57 AM
Right i have two hard drives one is new and one old

The new one is a 80Gb Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP 7200rpm

The old one is a quantum fireball 20gig (have no other info on this drive)

When i have my main 80 gig hooked up on its own windows boots fine and fast but when i attach the other 20gig drive my pc takes almost 3 mins to boot up

Any ideas ??

Thanks.......

LT-73
05-30-03, 10:18 AM
Could be the quantum is a ATA66 or maybe a 33 which is alot slower so it takes more time for the pc to boot.

1) check and make sure you have the jumpers set right

new drive master

old drive slave

Also make sure you have a new IDE ribbon.

Riptide
05-30-03, 02:21 PM
Yep done all that i bought brand new IDE cables for this purpose as the ones i had were ata100 and my new drive is ata133 the jumpers are set but still the problem

LT-73
05-30-03, 02:41 PM
if without the old drive the pc boots up normally (fast) and with the old drive attached it takes up to 3 minutes to boot, then my guess is that drive is gonna meet it's maker very soon.

My advise: get whatever files you have installed of importance, then deep six the drive. Nuttin else you can do but give it a burial.

Riptide
05-30-03, 02:44 PM
Ok thanks for the info ill will transfer my files and get a new one :)

YeOldeStonecat
05-30-03, 03:23 PM
You'll see that when you installed older, slower HD's on systems mixed with newer faster HD's.

Reason? The IDE controller has to slow down to the speed of the slowest drive connected to it.

Example, your mobo has ATA-100 IDE controllers...and you have an ATA-100 HD connected to it all alone...the controller and the drive will work together at 100 speeds.

You pop in an old Quantum ATA-33 HD on that system, and the IDE controller has to kick down to 33 speeds...so the ATA-100 drive is wasted.

Add to that, you'll get a performance drop if you mix hard drives on the same bus, even if different speeds...if you have different brands....BIOS don't always get along optimally if different.

Suggestion, copy what you need off of that old 20 giger...and remove it.

Riptide
05-31-03, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info YeOldeStonecat

I will do that:D