PDA

View Full Version : My buddy is having a problemm..

Gibbs
05-29-03, 09:54 PM
like every 10 min his comp freezes up. We were playing games and it just freezes up. Hes running XP Home , GF4 ti 4600 and 512 ddr ram. Really cant find out whts wrong with this thing =[ , can anyone help?>

Norm
05-29-03, 10:02 PM
Is it only freezing during a specific game? All games? Any ole time it feels like it, game or no game?

Gibbs
05-29-03, 10:06 PM
everything..not just games , desktop and all

Norm
05-29-03, 10:12 PM
hmm, could be a hardware problem. But have you scanned for spyware? Using Adaware, and Spybot?

Spyware will do that, but then again lots of things will. Bad ram, bad PSU, a seized fan on CPU etc etc.

Another thing too, if you have a patch installed #811493 go to add remove and get rid of it.

Gibbs
05-29-03, 10:13 PM
we had that patch in there...will that fix it if we delete it?

Norm
05-29-03, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Gibbs
we had that patch in there...will that fix it if we delete it? Don't know if will fix your problem, but that patch causes a lot of problems, slows the PC to a crawl, recommend removing it regardless. So does MS.
It may not be freezing up but rather running so slow it appears frozen. believe me, I waited 20 minutes for desktop icons to reappear after a screen refresh. Do it.

Let me know if it clears up the problem.

Norm
05-29-03, 11:09 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

Microsoft acknowledges certain problems with that patch, but ignores problems I have had first hand. Check the link above for the solution. They have an updated patch now.

If that doesn't fix the problem then it's most likely a hardware issue. If you're overclocking the CPU or ram, I'd set them to default settings as my first option.

Have a look in the event logs for any info on errors too. It may lead to understanding the problem hardware.

Post back too. Fixed or not, we like to know.

Gibbs
06-01-03, 09:40 AM
I believe its a hardware issue, but I'm not sure. Is there a program in my system that can check the status of hardware?!

Hopeful
06-01-03, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Gibbs
I believe its a hardware issue, but I'm not sure. Is there a program in my system that can check the status of hardware?! yes... theres something... id have to find it in order to navigate you to it...

Hopeful
06-01-03, 01:15 PM
i cant find it right now