PDA

View Full Version : Buy p4 800 system now or wait a bit?

X-Nemesis
05-29-03, 07:08 AM
Since the intel 875 and 865 chipsets is relatively new, would it be wise to wait a month or so before buying a system based on it?

Brk
05-29-03, 07:15 AM
The prices aren't going to take much of a tumble (if at all) in a month's time, so if you have the cash and want the hardware, go for it now.

X-Nemesis
05-29-03, 07:17 AM
Hi Burke...I was mostly wondering about the stability of these new boards...bios and all, and should I wait for updates as was seen, I think, with some of the n-force2 boards with the 2nd revisions?

Ghosthunter
05-29-03, 07:20 AM
Both these bords have gotten great reveiws from what I seen, and I think YOSC just bought 865 platofrm

I am real tempted to get one myself

Brk
05-29-03, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by X-Nemesis
Hi Burke...I was mostly wondering about the stability of these new boards...bios and all, and should I wait for updates as was seen, I think, with some of the n-force2 boards with the 2nd revisions?

I haven't noticed any stability issues whatsoever. The Granite Bay boards had major problems with AGP 8x and AGP 8x cards, but Canterwood/Springdale has none. As long as you go with a solid brand (ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, etc. no FIC or any of that garbage), you'll be fine.

The increased memory bandwidth is immediately noticeable and the greatest feature IMHO. But don't try and skimp out and use an old 533 MHz FSB CPU, go for a 2.4C and overclock it if you wish; if you have the resources, get the 3.0C and run it stock...just like meeeeeee.

X-Nemesis
05-29-03, 07:23 AM
I'm drooling already....My budget's looking at the 2.8 and if I'm feeling brave I'll try oc'ing it....never done it before so lot's of reading ahead for me.:D

Thanks for the quick replies

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 07:58 AM
The 865 "Springdale" boards will become Intels most legendary chipset so far...incredible performance for the price. Only about 5% slower than the high end 875 "Canterwood" boards, which cost about 40-45% more.

Recommended reading at GamePC (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=springdale&page=1)

What's nice for keeping the budget low, is you can now get any P4"C" and enjoy hyperthreading, a feature not found in the prior P4's..only in the top 3.06. So a P4 2.4c, or 2.6c, 2.8c, or 3.0c according to budget. 2.6c's have been reported to OC well past 3.

Hardware has been arriving for my new system. Asus P4P800...128 bucks. 1.0 gig of Crucial RAM for 160 bucks...how can you go wrong? I went with the 2.6C...I'm trying to keep on a budget since I'm so swamped with expenses this summer (new house stuff, ski boat, etc).

Should be building my system tomorrow night soon as my ATI 9800 arrives.