PDA

View Full Version : Can't change clock ratio?

Humboldt
05-28-03, 03:07 PM
I'd like to do a modest oc on a P3 500 chip in a ZidaBX98-3D running XP with 384 MB of RAM.

So far SoftFSB hasn't had support for the board, so I went into BIOS and attempted to change it manually.

It defaults to 100x5. I can change the clock speed itself no problem but it's only stable at 100. I was going to change the multiplier from 5, but it's not highlighted as changeable.

The manual for the board states that it IS changeable in increments of .5, from quite low to well above 5.

I've been looking for a function that disables or enables the ratio but haven't seen anything. As far as I know it's a jumperless board.

I'm not at home right now but can check anything you might mention up later this evening. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bunson
05-28-03, 03:47 PM
you can't change the multiplier for p3's, only the clock speed. Are you trying to jump to 133 or is there anything else inbetween?

Humboldt
05-30-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by bunson
you can't change the multiplier for p3's, only the clock speed. Are you trying to jump to 133 or is there anything else inbetween?

Hi Bunson, thanks for the reply.

It goes from 100 to 112...124 MHz.

It'll boot to the XP screen with either 112 or 124 but then is completely worthless...mouse is locked up and system doesn't respond.

Bump it back to normal 5x100 and it's fine.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 01:25 PM
So I'm s.o.l?

Zilog B
05-30-03, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, it doesn't have a 133 FSB setting, well i would say your are SOL, not to discourage you or anything

at 112 or 124 i don't think your pci bus is running in spec.

the best overclocks from that era are the 66->100 fsb or 100->133 fsb.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by schlurpee
Hmmm, it doesn't have a 133 FSB setting, well i would say your are SOL, not to discourage you or anything

at 112 or 124 i don't think your pci bus is running in spec.

the best overclocks from that era are the 66->100 fsb or 100->133 fsb.

Hi Schlurpee,

I've been reading as much as I can to try to figure this out.
Tried SoftFSB and CPUFSB.

Think I'd have any luck bumping it up if I increased the core voltage a tad? Not sure where I could find information on the Zida board for that.

Is there really no way to bump this up? Damn

Zilog B
05-30-03, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Humboldt
Hi Schlurpee,

I've been reading as much as I can to try to figure this out.
Tried SoftFSB and CPUFSB.

Think I'd have any luck bumping it up if I increased the core voltage a tad? Not sure where I could find information on the Zida board for that.

Is there really no way to bump this up? Damn

Most of those era boards aren't meant for overclocking, unless it's an abit or similar. I would just be happy with what you have, if its stable. If i read your post right, you only have 3 selections for FSB, if it won't work at 112 i would just hang it up. Software FSB adjustments i have never tried, i've always either used jumpers or bios adjustments.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 04:12 PM
Most of those era boards aren't meant for overclocking, unless it's an abit or similar. I would just be happy with what you have, if its stable. If i read your post right, you only have 3 selections for FSB, if it won't work at 112 i would just hang it up. Software FSB adjustments i have never tried, i've always either used jumpers or bios adjustments.

Oh well, maybe a BIOS update will give me a 133 choice.

Not a big deal, just a folding rig but it'd be nice to have it a little faster.

My other mobo, an old Abit BE6 ocs beautifully.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your help:)

Zilog B
05-30-03, 04:21 PM
Also, one more option since the board is a slot 1, is to buy a slot 1 adapter and an old celeron. I have an old 440BX chipset Dell Optiplex that originally came with a PII 350. I bought a celeron 600 and a slot 1 adapter. The adapter allows you to control FSB and voltage settings even if the motherboard and bios don't, the motherboard autodetects the settings of the adapter. I am able to run the celeron 600@900 easy. Been stable for over 2 years, just by bumping the fsb from 66 to 100.

Your welcome.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 04:25 PM
Also, one more option since the board is a slot 1, is to buy a slot 1 adapter and an old celeron. I have an old 440BX chipset Dell Optiplex that originally came with a PII 350. I bought a celeron 600 and a slot 1 adapter. The adapter allows you to control FSB and voltage settings even if the motherboard and bios don't, the motherboard autodetects the settings of the adapter. I am able to run the celeron 600@900 easy. Been stable for over 2 years, just by bumping the fsb from 66 to 100.

Your welcome.

Well, I do have a Celeron 850, but it's slot1 also, and I'm fairly certain the board wouldn't support it.

They have a damn iffy FAQ.

http://www.zida.com/eng/support/faqs.htm#BXseries

Zilog B
05-30-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Humboldt
Well, I do have a Celeron 850, but it's slot1 also, and I'm fairly certain the board wouldn't support it.

They have a damn iffy FAQ.

http://www.zida.com/eng/support/faqs.htm#BXseries

yeah, too high clock multiplier. You'd need a celeron 533 or 600, or some of the 633's pull it off too.

Humboldt
05-30-03, 04:31 PM
yeah, too high clock multiplier. You'd need a celeron 533 or 600, or some of the 633's pull it off too.

Damnit.

Ahh well, I guess 500 MHz is what I have and what I'm stuck with:)