PDA

View Full Version : New Computer hardware just arrived at work....drooling

YeOldeStonecat
05-28-03, 01:58 PM
The first of my hardware just rolled in.

Asus P4P800 865 (Springdale) motherboard
WD Raptor 10,000 rpm HD, 8 meg cache
Intel P4 2.6C CPU
2x 512 sticks of Crucial PC3200 memory (2xCrucial tee shirts inside box also...guess they're promo'ing the tee's)

Tomorrow hopefully my Antec True 430 power supply will arrive, and ATI Radeon 9800p 256meg.

Then I can build away Friday night! WOOHOO!!!

Ghosthunter
05-28-03, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
The first of my hardware just rolled in.

Asus P4P800 865 (Springdale) motherboard
WD Raptor 10,000 rpm HD, 8 meg cache
Intel P4 2.6C CPU
2x 512 sticks of Crucial PC3200 memory (2xCrucial tee shirts inside box also...guess they're promo'ing the tee's)

Tomorrow hopefully my Antec True 430 power supply will arrive, and ATI Radeon 9800p 256meg.

Then I can build away Friday night! WOOHOO!!!

WOW sounds real nice.

Can I ask what your total cost was and where did you buy it? I am getting really close to updgraing my dekstop but was trying to wait until end of year if possible.

Prey521
05-28-03, 02:19 PM
WHEEEW, I'm on da same boat, we just got our 1 TB NAS today!!!!!!!

YeOldeStonecat
05-28-03, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ghosthunter
WOW sounds real nice.

Can I ask what your total cost was and where did you buy it? I am getting really close to updgraing my dekstop but was trying to wait until end of year if possible.

Bought most of the the gear (mobo, CPU, PS, HD) from www.Essencompu.com (Essential Computers). 628 bucks.

Got the RAM from www.crucial.com. 160 bucks.

Got the Vid card from Newegg.com (only place that had a 256 meg version in stock last week)...that was 530 bucks. Normally I'd get that from GamePC or Essen, but nobody had the 256 megger in stock yet but Newegg.

Ghosthunter
05-28-03, 08:13 PM
I thought most here buy from Newegg? What is bad about them?

EDIT: Actually I just realized I have orderd from Essen before, I got my Gf3ti500 almsot 2 years ago from them, I do remeber they had very good service and when I had a question abotu my order they emailed me very quick.

YeOldeStonecat
05-28-03, 08:41 PM
I thought most here buy from Newegg? What is bad about them?

EDIT: Actually I just realized I have orderd from Essen before, I got my Gf3ti500 almsot 2 years ago from them, I do remeber they had very good service and when I had a question abotu my order they emailed me very quick.

Essen for me....place order online, regular UPS shipping gets it to me the next day. Plus their prices are usually very low. And can always speak to someone easily. Newegg I've ordered from a few times, but takes a week to get to me, plus once I cancelled a monitor order before it shipped...but they billed my CC within minutes, and I had to fight for several months straight to get a credit on my CC on a monitor that never even left their building!

Ghosthunter
05-28-03, 09:03 PM
Yeah Essen I think is in Queens, so would only take a day to get me as well.

Thanks for that Yeolde would never of thought of them again.

Norm
05-28-03, 09:06 PM
You make me so jealous YOSC.

Heck, your old PC's are 2 or 3 times the machines mine is.

I just can't keep up with the Joneses :(

Regardless of how I feel, I'm still happy for you :)

[under my breath] argh! Rub my face in it why don't ya

:D
:cool:

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 04:54 AM
Yeah Essen I think is in Queens, so would only take a day to get me as well.

Invoice says College Point, NY 11356.

Dunno if that's just where they bill from, or it's all one building? I remember reading they were in Jamaica NY. Anyways, yah, NY, one state away from me, quick shipping!

twwabw
05-29-03, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Norm
You make me so jealous YOSC.

Heck, your old PC's are 2 or 3 times the machines mine is.

I just can't keep up with the Joneses :(

:rotfl: Mine would make you feel better then.... like my screamin' P3-500! Hahahaha

Norm
05-29-03, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by twwabw
:rotfl: Mine would make you feel better then.... like my screamin' P3-500! Hahahaha My P3 600 runs circles around your P3 500 lol Ya right.

YOSC just paid out $530.00 just for a vid card .....sheesh.
That same card will cost me 10 bucks.

Ok, I'll have to wait a few years for it, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks :D

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 11:17 AM
My P3 600 runs circles around your P3 500 lol Ya right.

Ok, I'll have to wait a few years for it, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks :D

Heehee..I have a few spare PCI S3 Virge's I'll sell you ! And an incredible Numbe 9 Reality card....woooo.....Virge "GX" with 4 megs of RAM...big back in it's day.

Norm
05-29-03, 11:23 AM
Heehee..I have a few spare PCI S3 Virge's I'll sell you ! And an incredible Numbe 9 Reality card....woooo.....Virge "GX" with 4 megs of RAM...big back in it's day. I have a couple of old Virge cards too. I like them, and all I really need. They were nice cards, installed so easy. I use them for testing now, and keep them on hand when I go out.

I lucked out with a free ATI Expert 2000 32 mb ram card a few months ago.

Now I can open Dos windows in less than a second lol

Wait till you're married big spender, just wait :D

Better stock up now.

twwabw
05-29-03, 11:23 AM

I hear ya- I didn't pay $ 500.00 combined for the last 2 HP servers I bought ! :rotfl: In fact, I didn't even spend half that much (the 2 in the back)

http://home.rochester.rr.com/twwonline/files/Servers.jpg

Come to think of it, I didn't spend that much on the 2 servers (54 & 175) the switch (45) the UPS (10) the 4-port Raritan KVM (25) the 2 port (8) the roll of cable to wire the basement (35) and the 2 extra scsi HD's I bought for the Proliant (25 ea.) :D

Hey- if I was into games, etc., I'd spring too I guess. I just end up spending it on E-Bay! Last guy's junk is my treasure!

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 11:27 AM
I have a couple of old Virge cards too. I like them, and all I really need. They were nice cards, installed so easy. I use them for testing now, and keep them on hand when I go out.

I lucked out with a free ATI Expert 2000 32 mb ram card a few months ago.

Now I can open Dos windows in less than a second lol

Wait till you're married big spender, just wait :D

Better stock up now.

Yup, getting my last spendings in! Ya nailed that one on the head....why else you think the big rush these last few months! LOL.

(hope she doesn't read this)

Stocking up on those old S3 Virge PCI cards, yeah, great to carry a few in your bag of tricks...use them for temp loaners when someones vid card fails. Came in handy a couple of years ago when Matrox was having those BIOS guard issues all the time, the G-100 and G-200 AGP models were quite popular in business desktops, and always blowing out. I was loaning out Virges like crazy til Matrox warranty ones came back.

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by twwabw
2 extra scsi HD's I bought for the Proliant (25 ea.) :D

Can't tell ya how many of them I've worked on and installed. Have to PcA into one in a few minutes, it's in New York matter of fact, having backup issues.

ps...I see that Linksys in the back there....

twwabw
05-29-03, 11:34 AM
ps...I see that Linksys in the back there....

Yep- needed another switch to move servers into the basement. They're kind of hard to beat for the price- (8) 10/100's for 50 bucks works for me.

I like the Proliants too. Have 2 of them actually- moved the other to a buddy's office. They were my "high dollar" buys... 1st one (P3-Xeon 500) was $500 a couple years ago. The 2nd one (P3-Xeon 550) was $325.00 Added Smart/2-DH raid controllers to each. Bought them for 25 bucks. LOL. $900 raid card for 25 dollars. Bought a 3-channel Raid for the HP for 15 :D

JawZ
05-29-03, 11:39 AM
Cat, just curious as to your choice in Ram. Not knocking you by any means, just trying to understand the method to your madness.

As for me, I'm going to enjoy this new rig (Big Mommathlon) for a few months before I build the Mother of All Machines (think Opteron) lol. Hopefully by Q1 2004...prices will be just right for me to dig into another project.

That ATI card of yours is massive.

Norm
05-29-03, 11:40 AM
I've been rather lucky with the free stuff. Even though I'd love a brand new system with all the latest, I really don't need one, and can't afford it anyway.

Free stuff

Printers galore
Scanners (Umax 1200s brand new, and an HP)
WebCam
HD's 10 Gb and under (lots)
Keyboards and mice (too many)
All kinds of adapters (serial to ps2 etc etc)
monitors (at least 10 over the last 2 years)
Ram (a few hundred meg, mostly edo, but some sd)
CPU's ( a couple of Celery's and P 3's, Tons of 166's)
cases galore
speakers galore
vid cards (lots)
sound cards (lots)
cables (wow, I could start a store lol)

Most jobs I do give me the left overs. I just save them for the people who can't afford new stuff like me, and replace their faulty hardware real cheap.

It's amazing how much good harware ends up in the trash. The people throwing it away don't realize that it's still worth a few bucks to the poor peoples.

twwabw
05-29-03, 11:50 AM
It's amazing how much good harware ends up in the trash.

It sure is.... "Clean that old junk out of here!" "What do you want me to do with it?" I don't care... throw it away!"

"OK"

Off to my car it goes. :p

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by UOD
Cat, just curious as to your choice in Ram. Not knocking you by any means, just trying to understand the method to your madness.

Crucial? I've been very happy with Crucial RAM for years. I just feel it's good quality stuff. Pick what's been tested and approved on your mobo...and you're guaranteed success. I'm not one who wants to sit there staring at my system wondering why it won't boot...if the RAM is incompatible. I'm not an extreme overclocker, I do moderate overclocking, so I don't need the super sick overclockers RAM.

PS...and I purchased this RAM clicking through our local Crucial banner ad....wink wink!

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 12:49 PM
Video card just arrived...FedEx girl just left. WOW...the heft....what a sexy card! Heat sinks on the memory, both sides. 16x chips 32 megs each.

Man-o-man, just need to wait for the power supply (UPS), then race on home...tear my rig apart, and build her!

Ghosthunter
05-29-03, 12:50 PM
yep i am a big crucial fan myself

use them in all servers and any desktops, never ever once had an issue

cyberskye
05-29-03, 12:56 PM
Video card just arrived...FedEx girl just left. WOW...the heft....what a sexy card! Heat sinks on the memory, both sides. 16x chips 32 megs each.

Only we geeks would be calling hw sexy as the Fedex lady leaves...:p

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cyberskye
Only we geeks would be calling hw sexy as the Fedex lady leaves...:p

LOL....this one is kinda "pastey" for me, and she...uhm, likes girls!

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 01:31 PM
Power supply just came...WOOHOO! System complete! Gonne have fun tonight!

All black connectors, molex, etc. Gonna look cool!

koldchillah
05-29-03, 02:09 PM
lucky bastard. ;)

I've got some fedex packages waiting for me too, but its just an intel P4 board, celeron 1.7 & 350W ATX case for $200 and I don't even get to make any money on it b/c its for my parents.. but it'll be foldin' for SG.

I almost added an Abit IC7-G board on the order but I'm low enough on funds as it is and I need to save up for my new 4WD vehicle soon. :p

Guess I'll be seeing you and your new rig on the battlefield soon.. :cool: with that kinda hardware you'll be runnin' around in BF like Neo in the matrix..

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 08:45 PM
The new rig is ripping through WinXP setup like there's no tomorrow.

Antec True Power, stock Intel HSF, and the Raptor HD...all very quiet. I'm impressed with the "lack of noise". Stealth system!

The 10k rpm Raptor drive...the high pitch, yet subtle, sound of the high rpms is very cool. SCSI like.

I'm on the 3rd reboot now of the XP setup. She's really flying.

nepenthe
05-29-03, 08:52 PM
The new rig is ripping through WinXP setup like there's no tomorrow.

Antec True Power, stock Intel HSF, and the Raptor HD...all very quiet. I'm impressed with the "lack of noise". Stealth system!

The 10k rpm Raptor drive...the high pitch, yet subtle, sound of the high rpms is very cool. SCSI like.

I'm on the 3rd reboot now of the XP setup. She's really flying.

I hear the sound of saliva over the internet...... :)

shant,
david

Norm
05-29-03, 08:58 PM
What was the total xp install time?

Cypher
05-29-03, 09:15 PM
Lookin' good there YoSc.;) I love new toys. I think my XP install ws like 10 minutes or less.

YeOldeStonecat
05-29-03, 09:35 PM
What was the total xp install time?

Well I just started over because I wanted to change some partition settings, so I counted. From inserting the XP cd, booting to setup, deleting and creating a new partition, formatting that partition in NTFS, cruising through XP setup...total time there until getting to desktop was 17 minutes. The formatting took about half of that time up, heh. And I did lose about a minute maybe two to replying to a PM, and making one run to the kitchen to refill my Sangria. Turned around to notice that it was waiting for me to hit "Next" at one point.

Norm
05-29-03, 09:39 PM
That's super time for an xp install. On my own P 600 it takes about 30 - 40 minutes without doing a format.

I'd like to see it in action. Any chance you could send it to me :D

lance-tek
05-29-03, 10:11 PM
can I just sit and drool? I hate reading up in this forum. I just need to break down and start using the CC. It has cobwebs growing on it because I am afraid to make new bills for myself.

I need new puters too, but then again I don't want the bills that come with em.

XP eh? I dunno I prefer 2K pro over XP, why is it that you guys like XP so much?

-lance

nepenthe
05-29-03, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by lance
can I just sit and drool? I hate reading up in this forum. I just need to break down and start using the CC. It has cobwebs growing on it because I am afraid to make new bills for myself.

XP eh? I dunno I prefer 2K pro over XP, why is it that you guys like XP so much?

-lance

Both of my duallie are running 2K.

loop2kil
05-30-03, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by lance

-lance

Well, I dont think(I could be wrong here) that win2k supports Hyperthreading so XP is the only logical choice...plus xp can be tweaked to run like 2k...and I suppose its just newer and just a stable as 2k