PDA

View Full Version : psu dead with brief flicker?

Jeremy
04-11-03, 08:53 PM
my second power supply has stopped working i think. I swap it between my knex case (cel 333) and normal case (p2 350), and the last time i swapped, the power led flickers and immediately turns off; nothign spins up. It does this in both motherboards. the case/psu is only 1-2mo old, but has it been fried? i recall my friend having this problem and solving it somehow.

Massa
04-11-03, 09:05 PM
you could just have a short .... check for touching wires

Jeremy
04-11-03, 09:13 PM
what shorts? in the connector itslef? i'm ont sure where to look.

Massa
04-11-03, 09:16 PM
Just make sure the ground wires arent in contact with the hot wires, and check all the molex connectors, also, try making sure the PSU is set to 110V and not 220V, try remocing power with the PSU switched off, then plug it in and trun on the power on the PSU, then try the comp. It could also just be the fuse tripping on you ..

A_old
04-11-03, 11:59 PM
Test the PSU on its own. Take a case fan and plug it (alone) into your psu outside of the case. Next, take a paper clip and bend it into a "U" shape.. make sure nothing is plugged into the psu (no power cord) and that the switch on the back is flipped to (o) off. Now hold the main 20 pin atx connector with the notched side upward...then slide one end of the U shaped paper clip into the third hole from the left on the top row, the other into the fourth hole from the right on the bottom row..now plug the power cable into the psu..(with it set on a hard surface)...not on carpet or paper or something heh.. anyway flip the power switch on the back..if the case fan spins up -- ur psu is functional. to test full functionality, use a multimeter on a molex and test the 12v and 5v rails. please understand, however that u shouldn't touch the paper clip..and that the voltage readings will be slightly higher than when it is in your computer at full load since there is very minimal power draw.

Shagster
04-12-03, 12:02 AM
Power off while doing it Amro? Wheres the fun in that? :rolleyes:

If we have a Gerogia meating Ill probably get us killed. :D

A_old
04-12-03, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
Power off while doing it Amro? Wheres the fun in that? :rolleyes:

last thing i need is a law suit over free tech tips i give..i'm tired..have to work tomorrow. i think i'm going to sleep. night all

Norm
04-12-03, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Amro
Test the PSU on its own. Take a case fan and plug it (alone) into your psu outside of the case. Next, take a paper clip and bend it into a "U" shape.. make sure nothing is plugged into the psu (no power cord) and that the switch on the back is flipped to (o) off. Now hold the main 20 pin atx connector with the notched side upward...then slide one end of the U shaped paper clip into the third hole from the left on the top row, the other into the fourth hole from the right on the bottom row..now plug the power cable into the psu..(with it set on a hard surface)...not on carpet or paper or something heh.. anyway flip the power switch on the back..if the case fan spins up -- ur psu is functional. to test full functionality, use a multimeter on a molex and test the 12v and 5v rails. please understand, however that u shouldn't touch the paper clip..and that the voltage readings will be slightly higher than when it is in your computer at full load since there is very minimal power draw. Amro, thanks for the tip. It will come in handy for me.

Saved as a text Doc on my next tech CD :)

Brk
04-12-03, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy

Or severely injured.

A_old
04-12-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Norm
Amro, thanks for the tip. It will come in handy for me.

Saved as a text Doc on my next tech CD :)

np, sorry for the mess. it was like 1 am and i was NOT very functional.. one side note, this will only work with standard atx 20 pin connectors.. i.e. the dell PSUs with the wires switched around have a different config..i don't know it offt he top of my head

Jeremy
04-12-03, 01:35 PM
i'm such an idiot. who would know that a floppy power connector connected one pin to the left would screw the system?

Norm
04-12-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
i'm such an idiot. who would know that a floppy power connector connected one pin to the left would screw the system? Ummm, I would :D

I did that once and melted the connector :o

Norm
04-12-03, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Amro
np, sorry for the mess. it was like 1 am and i was NOT very functional.. one side note, this will only work with standard atx 20 pin connectors.. i.e. the dell PSUs with the wires switched around have a different config..i don't know it offt he top of my head Again, thanks for the update.
Added to my text file :)