PDA

View Full Version : new rig

Soldier
04-11-03, 07:43 PM
i'm planing on getting a new computer soon and I was wondering what would be better, AMD or Intel? Il be using the computer mostly for gaming and encoding.

Brent
04-11-03, 07:44 PM
uhhhh

personal prefference, heh

both are worthy

encoding? what kind of software? if you really do encode a lot some apps can use SSE2 to help with performance, and only the P4 can do that, and even better a HT P4 would help even more in those regards

both cpu's are excellent in gaming really

Cypher
04-11-03, 07:49 PM
I predict this thread has much flame potential. It's almost like asking which Linux distro is the best. It does bear alot of relavence, but Brent summed it up. Pick your poison and how much you want to throw down will fill in the rest.:D

Brk
04-11-03, 08:00 PM
Read LOTS of reviews and then narrow down your choices.

Soldier
04-11-03, 09:11 PM
well i don't know what software im going to use for encoding yet. MY friend is going to get me the software and show me how to encode n stuff.

I just wanted to know what would be better in performance right now. xp3000 or pen4 3.06. Also what kind of ram would be better ddr or rdram?

oh yeah, i don't mean to start a amd vs intel thing :)

Cypher
04-11-03, 09:13 PM
I'm partial to AMD myself;) as fo RAM I'd go DDR either way if you can.

extreme
04-11-03, 10:10 PM
how much are you willing to spend?

Shagster
04-11-03, 10:21 PM
AMD = cheaper and better HIGH overclocks but not many techno goodies like sse2 and HT.

Intel = a bit more cost and better LOW OCs and has tons of techno goodies and really really good motherboards to choose from (aka...damn good chipsets). And it runs cooler.

Soldier
04-11-03, 10:28 PM
Im willing to spend whatever.

Im going to give intel a try and go with the 3.06. What motherboard do you guys recommand me? And should I go with DDR or RDRAM ?

Brk
04-11-03, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Soldier

Im going to give intel a try and go with the 3.06. What motherboard do you guys recommand me? And should I go with DDR or RDRAM ?

The new Intel chipset boards that support 800 MHz FSB and 400 MHz Dual-Channel DDR (read: beats RDRAM) are supposed to hit Monday. I'd wait and read some reviews of them first.

DDR is the way to go.

Other Personal recommendations:

- Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 7.1

- 1024 MB (512 MB x 2) Corsair PC3200 DDR "TwinX" matched DDR

- Western Digital Special Edition hard drives

- ATI 9800/9700/9500 Pro video card

- Power Supply: Antec or Enermax, as high as wattage as you want.

Shagster
04-11-03, 10:33 PM

dont go yet. Intel is releasing its new canterwood chipset in a few days. In a few more days or weeks the 800mhz quadpumped chips are coming out.

I think a lot of us intel people are getting the Abit canterwood board. Go ahead and get two sticks of identical corsair xms pc3500 ddr.

And get a 9700 pro

And a enermax PSU, at least 430w

And a 52x liteon cdrw and a liteon 16x dvd

and a chieftec case

and 3 wd 80gig se's and a promise tx2000. put two in raid 0 and the third is used for backup.

and..........you want lcd or crt?

:D

Soldier
04-11-03, 10:44 PM
Hey Burke,

Il go with the DDR ram since you say it's faster :)
I already have an antec 450watt psu, 80gb hd 8mb. Il look into the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. :)

Hi Shaggy,

Il wait few weeks or whatever and see what new hardware comes out. as far as the video cards go, I want to get a GeForce FX.

Im not worried about monitors right now, since I already have one ;)

TEH WIN
04-11-03, 11:00 PM
get a cirix :D

Brk
04-11-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TEH WIN
get a cirix :D

Or a Cyrix, even! :p

Brk
04-11-03, 11:04 PM
Hey Burke,

Il go with the DDR ram since you say it's faster :)
I already have an antec 450watt psu, 80gb hd 8mb. Il look into the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. :)

Hi Shaggy,

Il wait few weeks or whatever and see what new hardware comes out. as far as the video cards go, I want to get a GeForce FX.

Im not worried about monitors right now, since I already have one ;)

DDR is faster if you're either overclocked or are running a Dual-Channel DDR capable board. Otherwise, RDRAM is faster. DDR is the future, though. Stick with it.

The M-Audio card is the best sound card I've ever purchased. You can't go wrong with it.

As for the GeForce FX, prepare for noise! :D

Shagster
04-11-03, 11:52 PM
Would you consider watercooling?

The thing burke has is a good deal, the exos or whatever.

Or you can go all out with a danger den setup... www.dangerden.com

The nvidia card is something like 50Dba. Its at least 40Dba which is a little louder than a delta aka a dustbuster.

But Im right with you. I prefer nvidia. Im waiting for the nv35 :D I think ATI has stability issues.

Soldier
04-12-03, 12:06 AM
noise isn't an issue, but If it pisses me off after a while il get watercooling. LoL

LT-73
04-12-03, 12:09 AM
Hmm, should I, or should'nt I ? ........................ nahhhhhhh, i leave this one alone ;)

Shagster
04-12-03, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by LT-73
Hmm, should I, or should'nt I ? ........................ nahhhhhhh, i leave this one alone ;)

damnet LT, put your two cents in.

LT-73
04-12-03, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
damnet LT, put your two cents in.

nahhhhhh, you guyz got it pretty much covered ;)

Brk
04-12-03, 07:04 AM
noise isn't an issue, but If it pisses me off after a while il get watercooling. LoL

Keep in mind that some watercooling setups can actually be as loud as air cooling, though. With this Koolance EXOS I have, if you put the fans on high, it's VERY loud.

My opinion...fan noise should be "whooshy," not "whiny."