PDA

View Full Version : PSU - ECS mobo question

mountainman
04-10-03, 12:40 PM
Have any of you guys heard that ECS boards won't run very well with less than 400w of power ?

A buddy of mine told me that and I find it VERY odd. That seems like an awful lot of of power for a mobo to run stable.

Thoughts ?

mountainman
04-10-03, 12:42 PM
The reason I ask is because I think I'm going to buy an Abit board for my new system instead of using this ECS, but it's too late to return via RMA.

I am thinking of making a game/file server for BF1942 !

:)

What do you think ?

Jstyr
04-10-03, 12:42 PM
No way just the mobo needs that much power. The peripherals and drives actually eat up most of the power I believe.

Jstyr
04-10-03, 12:43 PM
***Cough*** Army operations ***Cough***

ub3r_n00b
04-10-03, 07:39 PM
thats bull Sheyat... im using an ASUS mobo ( far better than the jumper overclocking nightmare ECS ) and a 300 watt PSU and im running FINE!!!

but 300 watt is the bare minimum

-Preet

Set
04-10-03, 08:06 PM
Id say no but keep in mind if ya wanna build a server thers gonna many HDS and etc on it maybe RAID etc so id go at lest 400W

The last place ya wanna cut corners is at your PSU

terrancelam
04-10-03, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by mountainman
Have any of you guys heard that ECS boards won't run very well with less than 400w of power ?

A buddy of mine told me that and I find it VERY odd. That seems like an awful lot of of power for a mobo to run stable.

Thoughts ?

This is not true, no motherboard on the market needs a 400w to be stable. Some are asking that you get a 350W at the standard to get maxium stability, but 400W and + is pretty much for server related stuff.