PDA

View Full Version : Irq

m4a2t0t
04-10-03, 12:03 AM
Is there anyway to manually assign a IRQ to a device? I know you can reserve a IRQ so you should be able to do something with the reserved IRQ.

have tried everything to get a my TV card on its on IQ but every PCI slots seems to be sharing a IRQ with something. I mean there are like 5-6 IRQ not even being used but it has to assign 3 to the same one. I have disabled ACPI and I have all unused devices disabled. My only option I see left is the reformat and install with ACPI and maybe get lucky and ACPI will reassign it its own IRQ....ya right like I would get that lucky.

I have to have my TV tuner card on its own IRQ or the driver will not install correctly.

Im running windows XP and the PC is a dell dimension 8100

YeOldeStonecat
04-10-03, 05:45 AM
Yes it depends on your motherboard, and your BIOS. Many will let you insert a card in a specific PCI slot, and in the BIOS, you can specify the IRQ for that PCI slot.

Example, I have my RAID card in PCI 4. I have disabled my COM1 and COM2 ports, to free up IRQ 4 and 3. I told my BIOS to assign IRQ 3 to PCI slot 4....hence my RAID card is on IRQ 3.

m4a2t0t
04-10-03, 12:10 PM
All my BIOS allows me to do is to reserve a IRQ. It allows me to change the IRQ's also but every slot seems to be sharing a IRQ with something. thought if I disabled the serial ports it would allow me to the that IRQ but all it does is free up more IRQ's.

My BIOS doesnt even have the option for PnP OS. I cant believe that leadtek would put this POS out.

YeOldeStonecat
04-10-03, 01:19 PM
Depending on the motherboard, "usually" the first PCI slot will share an IRQ with the AGP card.

And, often the last PCI slot is often shared. But the 2nd, 3rd, and if there's a 4th before the 5th, they are usually not shared.

I've also noticed Intel chipsets seem to respond to manual IRQ setting better than Via chipsets.

Disable those COM1 and COM2 ports if you don't use them (IRQ 4 and 3). Disable that parallel printer port if you don't use it (IRQ 7), and if you are using a RAID or SCSI card for your drives, disable those unused IDE controller(s) (IRQ 13 and 14 I think).

m4a2t0t
04-11-03, 12:32 AM
PCI slot 1 is shared with the video card. slot 2 is shared with the NIC(onbaord). slot 3 shared with video card. slot 4 is shared with USB. slot 5 is shared with the NIC and slot 6 is shared with USB. I use 3 of the 4 USB ports.

Whats wierd is that the NIC is using IRQ 4 and its shared with the TV captue card, if I move the TV card to the 5th slot the NIC shares the IRQ with the TV card but the IRQ changes to like IRQ 5 or something like that.

zooner
04-11-03, 01:49 AM
why dont you disable the NIC and install the leadtek, then simply turn the nic back on??

I had that same leadtek for over six months and didnt have a single problem, when you get it working... you're going to love it!

m4a2t0t
04-11-03, 01:51 AM
Thx Ill give it a try

m4a2t0t
04-11-03, 03:47 AM
this is BS. It reboots during the WDM setup and then when it comes back up it asks to install the driver again. leadtek says it a IRQ problem. I disabled the NIC and it was on its own IRQ. Im pretty closing to returning this POS card. and they say this card is designed for windows XP:rolleyes:

zooner
04-11-03, 03:56 AM
this is very strange indeed...

I had reinstalled winxp a dozen times while I had it.

no problem, threw the disc and away I went.

loop2kil
04-11-03, 04:09 AM
I've used the same card with both the sis645dx and intel 850e chipsets and have not had any problems...hmm...come to think of it...i had static issues with my via kt133a chipset pc and this card b4 installing the same card on the sis and intel chipset boards....

I thought zooners idea might have worked though...

loop2kil
04-11-03, 04:11 AM
dumb question but you have downloaded the latest drivers for the card from leadtek right? sorry but i had to ask.

try re-enabling ACPI and see what happens if you havent already.

m4a2t0t
04-11-03, 02:03 PM
Ive tried installing the newest drivers but it dosnt work. it still reboots and asks to install them again. Ill have to reinstall for ACPI dont I

loop2kil
04-12-03, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by m0a2t4t
Ive tried installing the newest drivers but it dosnt work. it still reboots and asks to install them again. Ill have to reinstall for ACPI dont I

no, just go into device manager and update the driver for standard pc, and change to ACPI

m4a2t0t
04-12-03, 12:36 PM
well my PC was acting funny so I reformatted. Is there any way to just install the media center? If I install the new drivers by themself I can get them to install but I dont have player to watch with, I have tried to install the media center first then install the newer drivers but that doesnt work.

ACPI didnt change anything, they still use the same IRQ's

m4a2t0t
04-12-03, 06:25 PM
OMFG I got it working, what a hassle....sheesh!

thx for the help

its pretty nice