PDA

View Full Version : my computer building question thread ...

mountainman
04-09-03, 08:39 PM
Hey guys. I'm finally working on this, and I have a question about the pins on the mobo:

The book says the pins #s from 1-8 and what they all do. #8 is a NC (no contact) and shows there is no pin there. However, on the actual mobo, the #1 pin is not there.

What do you think I should do ?

Thank you. :)

zooner
04-09-03, 08:59 PM
what pins are these in relation to?

mountainman
04-09-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by zooner
what pins are these in relation to? FireWire port that is on the front. :)

Question #2: For those Cobra round cables, the plugs are (in order) red (one end), grey (middle), and black (other end). Which one goes into the mobo ?

zooner
04-09-03, 09:19 PM
question 2

compare length!

X-----X------------X

The distance is the least between the plugs meant for the devices, while that third one is to be plugged into the mobo.

question 1

that sounds more like a USB plug then, which is always missing the first pin. could be wrong, since I didnt hook up firewire on my abit board.

mountainman
04-09-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by zooner
question 2

compare length!

X-----X------------X

The distance is the least between the plugs meant for the devices, while that third one is to be plugged into the mobo.

question 1

that sounds more like a USB plug then, which is always missing the first pin. could be wrong, since I didnt hook up firewire on my abit board.

Thanks for the question 2. I'll check that out.

As for the #1, I have already hooked up the USB ones. Hmm...

zooner
04-09-03, 09:22 PM
i'll get my book, hold on.

zooner
04-09-03, 09:28 PM
hmm... seems like they gave me a firewire cable for nothing.

I guess the be7 doesnt support it.

anyways, might want to make sure you didnt put the firewire into the usb. I could hae happened easy enough.

mountainman
04-09-03, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the USB cables were lining up just right.

The problem isn't the NUMBER of cables, it is that the pin the book said shouldn't be there is in another location. I don't really know what to do about that. LOL

That cable works much better with the RED side plugged into the mobo. It faces away from ram/cpu. :)

I can't wait to use this !

:)

zooner
04-10-03, 12:16 AM
so what are you running in that monster powerhouse of yours??

terrancelam
04-10-03, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mountainman
Hey guys. I'm finally working on this, and I have a question about the pins on the mobo:

The book says the pins #s from 1-8 and what they all do. #8 is a NC (no contact) and shows there is no pin there. However, on the actual mobo, the #1 pin is not there.

What do you think I should do ?

usually if you dealing with the case connection stuff (i.e the power switch and reset switch connector), just check the first of the line (i.e if your pin #2 is the first and it is for the speaker connector) check to see the charge it should be (will be either + or -). Once you have done this, all the others should easily fall into place. If your still confused and can't determine which is + and which is -, the best way to check is to physically look underneath the board and see the bottom of the pins. The majority of them should be circular at the base, but the first on one of the rows should be a square base, this will represent the + charge;)

This also applies to putting on USB connectors to a internal board connector. The red/colour lined always goes to the + or powered connector first. The order in which these are installed are:

Power, -1,+1,Ground
Power, -2,+2,Ground

There might be a spare pin that remains unused, which is usual, so don't stress over that.

mountainman
04-10-03, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the tips. :)

I'll try that today after work.

Zooner - see this thread: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111131

:)