PDA

View Full Version : adding hard drive help

ralphie13
04-09-03, 01:13 PM
ok 1 ? is it best for me to do a clean install on a new hard drive or can i copy the one i have on to the new one... and if i have to do a clean install what is the best way to get all my window xp home setting on to the new hard drive? thanks..

Brent
04-09-03, 01:16 PM
are you replacing your current hard drive? or are you going to just add this new one on as an extra?

if you are replacing it you can simply copy everyting over to the new one, there are ghosting programs, third party programs, you can download or buy that will let you do a discopy or clone of your hard drive

ralphie13
04-09-03, 01:22 PM
sorry i am adding this one the origenal i want to use for storage and the new one i want to use for the os and run the programs from the new one cause its alot faster or should i just use the new one and put the programs i want on it? i would actualy like to do clean install get all the **** out of the old one but does that mean i have to reinstall all the drivers and settings?

fastchevy
04-09-03, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ralphie13
does that mean i have to reinstall all the drivers and settings?

Yeah if you do a clean install

ralphie13
04-09-03, 01:24 PM
sorry also i just picked up a seagate serial ata and i am looking at it, it has no jumpers for master,slave just wondering does it set itself?

fastchevy
04-09-03, 01:27 PM
just to be safe, I'd have it as the master (of course) on the primary IDE all by itself...dont use a slower ATA HD or CDROM as the slave on that channel, it will slow down your faster HD. Have your old HD and CDrom on the secondary IDE

ralphie13
04-09-03, 01:29 PM
is there anyway to copy the old setting or should i just copy the whole drive

Mehmet
04-09-03, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ralphie13
is there anyway to copy the old setting or should i just copy the whole drive

BTW, tell us how that serial ATA drive is :)

Anyway, if you wanted to copy your OS and everything on to your NEW disk, you couldnt do it simply by Copy/paste..

you have to use a program called ghost, which, mirrors one drive over to another. Should work fine for ya :)

Norm
04-09-03, 02:04 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313348

xxcopy at www.xxcopy.com is free and will copy a drive including ALL files (in use, and page file)

EG:

xxcopy c:\ d:\ /clone

Brent
04-09-03, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Norm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313348

xxcopy at www.xxcopy.com is free and will copy a drive including ALL files (in use, and page file)

EG:

xxcopy c:\ d:\ /clone

he lives!

YeOldeStonecat
04-09-03, 03:02 PM
Most Retail boxed hard drives will include a utility from the manufacturer for cloning over your old hard drive to the new one. OEM boxed hard drives usually do not include that software, but you can find it for download from their website.

Other solutions....more robust software such as Symantecs Ghost, which you purchase.

You do not need to re-install your operating system to a new hard drive, clone it over, and you're fine. Re-installation is necessary if changing motherboards, or several other major components, but not for simply cloning from one drive to another. I can't count how many hundreds and hundreds of clones I've done, I think I've had just one of two blow up...but just due to the image going bad somehow due to various reasons.

Then, boot up to the new hard drive only...to test it. Once fine, plug in your "old" hard drive as the slave...go into Disk Manager....blow away the partition...create a new one..format it...all set.