PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitors..... Grrr...

nepenthe
04-08-03, 10:23 PM
I have played with the new Princeton Graphic 19" monitor today. In my humble opinion, 25ms response time is unusuable for anything in motion. Apparently the Hitachi 17" is really the only choice I have, since no one can claim 18"+ and 16ms response time. sigh.....

shant,
david

Shagster
04-08-03, 10:39 PM
You sound kinda annoyed. Is the "less" deskspace worth it?

The Goog
04-08-03, 10:55 PM
Well if you do go with the Hitachi you're in for a treat. I have one and it's very smooth and I am fairly picky about monitors.

nepenthe
04-08-03, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
You sound kinda annoyed. Is the "less" deskspace worth it?

I have three, twenty one inch CRT monitors. I like the big picture, however for the family room, desk space is a premium.

If Hitachi had a slightly larger model with 16ms, it would be a no brainer.

The Goog
04-08-03, 11:25 PM
I think samsung is supposed to release an 18"er with a low response time.

nepenthe
04-08-03, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by The Goog
I think samsung is supposed to release an 18"er with a low response time.

They list the response time as <25ms. I was not impressed with their 19" models.

YeOldeStonecat
04-09-03, 06:19 AM
Besides Hitatchi, Planar makes the only other LCD with res times as low...but that's the 17" models.

GamePC like their 19" model too....listed as under 25ms, they found it quite playable.

Remember, many makers will list "under 25ms"...but some actually still perform better than others, even when specs are identicle on paper. I find my Viewsonic 18", with it's 25ms, quite superior to some others I've seen that boast 25ms.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=planar19&page=1

Check out the "Monitors" section, many other reviews.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/index.asp

nepenthe
04-09-03, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Besides Hitatchi, Planar makes the only other LCD with res times as low...but that's the 17" models.

GamePC like their 19" model too....listed as under 25ms, they found it quite playable.

Remember, many makers will list "under 25ms"...but some actually still perform better than others, even when specs are identicle on paper. I find my Viewsonic 18", with it's 25ms, quite superior to some others I've seen that boast 25ms.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=planar19&page=1

Check out the "Monitors" section, many other reviews.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/index.asp

Thank you for the feedback.
I am concerned that monitors on which I had positive information, had unacceptable ghosting (Princeton Graphics, NEC and Samsung). How can I be assured that Hitachi or Planar are good for gaming and video with similarly posted statistics. Perhaps I would have to wait for 16ms 19" monitors to be come available, but I am anxious to have one.

Oh to have the ultimate reliable source.

shant,
david

YeOldeStonecat
04-10-03, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by nepenthe
Thank you for the feedback.
I am concerned that monitors on which I had positive information, had unacceptable ghosting (Princeton Graphics, NEC and Samsung). How can I be assured that Hitachi or Planar are good for gaming and video with similarly posted statistics. Perhaps I would have to wait for 16ms 19" monitors to be come available, but I am anxious to have one.

Oh to have the ultimate reliable source.

shant,
david

Well, you may have noticed last year I did a lot of research on LCD monitors, often posting results here...as I was anxious to get one, but I'm very finicky with my gaming rig and it's performance...and at that time, the first generation monitors were way too sluggish. Late last summer/early fall, second generation LCD's were coming out (shooting for professional graphics users, and gamers...with 25ms response times). Most are quite acceptable....still very slightly noticable, some brands more than others. 25ms that brand A boasts may still perform truer and better than brand B's boasted 25ms monitor. Just like modems, memory, video cards, etc etc.

I like GamePC's articles, I've been getting hardware from there for years. They're all about power rigs and gaming rigs...and will usually give you a good heads up on real world performance. They look for gaming performance more than the average website.

Did you spend some time reading their other monitor reviews?

I'm probably going to get a Hitatchi 18" LCD soon to add to my Viewsonic 18" LCD. Planar I'm still wary about....it's a brand that I've seen sold in "Tiger" catalogs (super budget computer hardware catalog) for many years, so they have a "low end" reputation in my mind. But who knows, they may have gotten quite good. Hitatchi has had a pretty good reputation for years...so I'm giving that one serious consideration.

nepenthe
04-10-03, 09:14 PM
I did read the articles you linked, and again, thank you for posting them. They felt that the 25ms was not quite ready for "fast" games like quake3. I concur that one brands 25ms might not be equivolent to anothers. However, after looking at the Samsung which is supposedly a <25ms, I can say that I ould like better.

Brand quality can change quickly, so I am wary of even label I have come to trust (Read: Maxtor). I do already own 3 Hitachi CRT's and I do love them. The choice would probably be between the 16ms 17" or the 25ms 19". I am spoiled by the real estate, but my eyes like the speed.

I am not sure if Hitachi still makes the 18".

shant,
david

YeOldeStonecat
04-11-03, 05:12 AM
Even though his site isn't too well liked, he does have some some good reviews and roundups on many LCD monitors.

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

Would be worth some of your time.

nepenthe
04-11-03, 05:49 AM
Again, thank you.

As one last question, is there a 16ms 18 or 19 inch LCD monitor that is soon to be released?

TIA,
david