PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to hardware...are you a loyalist?

JawZ
04-08-03, 04:36 PM
I am. I've been a big fan of AMD for some time and even now as P4 prices come down and AMD prices go up...I still stick with them (or at least try to).

I've been a big fan of most of the hardware that was in my first real home built PC.

So where do you stand on brand loyalty?

extreme
04-08-03, 04:39 PM
AMD!!

Nivida!!!

Western digital!!!!

Corsair!!!!!

Shagster
04-08-03, 04:44 PM
I used to be AMD for life and Nvidia for life. Now I am getting an intel because of their tremendous reputation. Which means if the hype is big enough ill take the risk. As for nvidia, they arent on top and the hype is huge for ATI but I see too many problems with them so Ill just wait for nvidia to come out with a new chip, like the nv35 because they make them stable.

I also stick with nvidia because I have tremendous respect for Gainward.

Rivas
04-08-03, 05:27 PM
INTEL !!!
NVIDIA !!!
MAXTOR !!!
NEC !!!

I had amd only once.K6 2 300 mhz "few" years ago.It was worst than my intel P 200mhz mmx so i returned it .Even if i could get amd for free i rather pay huge $$ for intel.Why ? cuz intel = quality and i can always count on it.

Brk
04-08-03, 05:30 PM
I stick with whatever consistently gives me the best performance and the fewest headaches. I just bought my first AMD CPU and have yet to test it out, and although it's only going to be Folding, you never know.

YeOldeStonecat
04-08-03, 06:51 PM
Traditionally Intel, although last year gave AMD a chance with the Palomino XP, but only because of nVidia's nForce chipset....can't pay me to use any other AMD chipset.

Graphics...have been nVidia since the first TNT, although about to give ATI a chance once their 256 meg 9800 comes out.

Traditionally I've been IBM Deskstars for IDE hard drives, I have a fleet of them that have given me not a single hiccup. Also love WD and Seagate drives.

Crucial for memory, also have Viking, Centon, Mushkin,

Motherboards....used to like Abit, love Asus now, starting to like MSI.

Power supplies...only Antec and Enermax.

tHE_0ne
04-08-03, 06:58 PM
AMD
WD
LINKSYS
M$ intelli mouse

Brent
04-08-03, 07:03 PM
I'm not brand loyal

I go with what is best at whatever given time

Whether that be AMD or Intel, or NVIDIA or ATI or whatever

There are a few components though that I feel have a bit higher quality

PSU's - Enermax
RAM - Corsair

maybe others

But I give everything a fair chance before I decide I like this over that

Shagster
04-08-03, 07:23 PM
Ok...

AMD and Intel
Nvidia
Corsair and Crucial
Gainward
WD
Epox and Abit
Enermax
Chieftec
Microsoft
Liteon
NEC
Hercules sound
And I hate all networking devices, hate hate hate

A_old
04-08-03, 08:32 PM
newp i just buy what's good.. i suppose w/ hdds i'm stuck on wd tho..

McGee
04-08-03, 08:56 PM
Processor: Intel
Ram: Corsair or Mushkin
Hard drive: Western Digital
Cd/DvD drives: Lite-On
Monitors: Preferrably Samsung, others if cheap
Speakers: Logitech z___.
Motherboard: Soyo
Power supply: Enermax
Case: Ahanix
Water cooling: Ahanix
CD-R: Memorex
Keyboard, webcam, mouse, etc: Logitech
Printer: Usually Hewlett Packard, Canon sometimes if good deal.
Tv Tuner: ATI
Video Card: ATI (currently on Radeon 9500 Pro, no problems yet. :))
Games: Whatever the **** I can get my hands on :P.
Console: Nintendo
Router/Hub/Switch: Linksys
Operating System: Use Windows, prefer Linux Mandrake.
Soundblaster sound card
Modem, pci card, all internet stuff doesn't matter as long as it is good quality and works well.
That's it for now.

deksecurity
04-08-03, 09:00 PM
amd
wd
antec ture
Corsair
netgear
3com
liteon
promise
ati/nvidia
msi/abit (for amd)

nepenthe
04-08-03, 09:46 PM
Since quality can vacillate, I cannot stay loyal to any particular brand.

shant,
david

Cypher
04-08-03, 10:00 PM
I've had both Intel and AMD and AMD amazes me. Nvidia for graphics. In fact they were the deciding vote when I built this rig. Money is a big factot too. I can't fully pledge my aliegence to any one brand. Technology moves far to rapidily.:D

LT-73
04-08-03, 10:42 PM
Hmmmm, is this a trick question? You guyz already know where I'm at :D

Shagster
04-08-03, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
Hmmmm, is this a trick question? You guyz already know where I'm at :D

Yeah, hows that new Radeon?

Mehmet
04-08-03, 10:56 PM
Im not brand loyal, at all really.

ive got an AMD right now, but, i want a p4 setup.
ive got an nvidia card, but wouldnt mind a radeon 9700 pro.
Ive got corsair, but, samsung would probably do me good too.
Ive got a Turtle beach, and a game theather would do me good too. ( although i prefer the TBSC)
Ive got volcano 9, but, a swifttech water cooling kit would do me good too..

yah, brand loyalty is pretty damn IMO.

"Ill only buy coolermaster rounded cables!!! THEY ROCK! YAH, the ones from - insert company name here - Suck because i dont have them.. YAH!"

Hopeful
04-08-03, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by UOD
I am. I've been a big fan of AMD for some time and even now as P4 prices come down and AMD prices go up...I still stick with them (or at least try to).

I've been a big fan of most of the hardware that was in my first real home built PC.

So where do you stand on brand loyalty? well... hardware hasnt been much loyalty yet... but im that way when it comes to gaming... only nintendo products grace my television screen

Jstyr
04-09-03, 01:06 AM
WD Harddrives..always used em always liked em..although my old 20GB WD HDD crapped out on me about 3 months back. Granted I bought her in the summer of 99' and ran her ragged :)

A-Bit mobo's. Ever since I went to custom rigs I've always used A-Bit..never used anything else. I've got an old A-Bit Bh(x), I think... that I got in 99 and she still runs fine. I use the KR7A now and have been completely satisfied with it.

Processor-well here I'm not partial. I'll use Intel or AMD. I like AMD because their prices are cheaper and I know they used to design their chips with gamers in mind. I currently use an AMD.

RAM-Crucial baby :)

Graphics- gotta say Nvidia...my buddy uses ATI solely and I'm always disapponted by what I see. Slower framerates, incompatiblity, and driver issues. I've never had any problems with my Nvidia cards and I've been using them since the Riva TNT2 days.

Sound-I'm totaly impartial on this. I'll use whatever gives me the most bang for my buck. although I have to say..as much as people badmouth Creative...I've never had any problems with their stuff.

terrancelam
04-09-03, 01:16 AM
used to be a Intel man because of their simplicity, now I'm an AMD man simply because of two things, price and performance. I can't get a 2.0ghz processor for $160CAD. XD

Plus ever since I went to AMD, I haven't regreted it.

So here is my list:
AMD
Samsung (For ram only.)
Viewsonic ( I owned a Optiquest back in the day now a nice E70FB)
Maxtor is o.k, but trying to save up for Western Digital.
Creative Soundblaster/Inspire, no other.
Pioneer for DVD drives, no other.
Burner varies, Liteon is nice, but then again I like LG.
Enermax, no other.
Linksys, no other.
3Com no other.
Abit no other.
Nvidia for life.

LT-73
04-09-03, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
Yeah, hows that new Radeon?

:eek: You will die for your insolence, peasant! :p

Guards !!! off with his head!!!

Shagster
04-09-03, 01:41 AM
Your new board come yet LT?

loop2kil
04-09-03, 02:50 AM
Whatever is the best is where i'm at...honestly I think brand loyalty is silly IMHO...right now i have good things to say about ati, intel and asus, but in a couple of months it could be totally different....why would you want inferior product just so you can stay loyal to a brand....We are all(for the most part) performance freaks so whatever performs the best with fewest hiccups/headaches should be the way to go.

Almost like the Ford vs Chevy crap from high school...b/c we all now know Toyota is King :)

BaLa
04-09-03, 04:49 AM
up to a point; yes..

I basically stick with well known brandnames