PDA

View Full Version : Video properties and display projectors ?

YeOldeStonecat
04-08-03, 09:02 AM
You know how on laptops if you plug in another monitor, or an LCD projector, you can hit a funtion button, and be able to use both the laptops LCD display, and/or the external monitor or projector?

How can you do the same on a desktop, with say a single or dual video cards? Anyone know if that's possible?

zooner
04-08-03, 09:08 AM
i'm slightly confused about the question...

are you asking how easy it is to use a dual monitor setup using one or more video cards?

Or, are you asking if there is a shortcut key to quickly enable a dual monitor environment?

If you run dual monitors from an nvidia, you can manage it right from the systray. The ati dual monitor controls are VERY easy to use.

Or, using a super cheap pci card... winxp pro will manage it for you.

i've used all three and like the nvidia the least.

YeOldeStonecat
04-08-03, 11:53 AM
XP and nVidia's nView I've played with, they seem to only stretch your desktop to the other computer.

I'd like what laptops do......most laptops have a video out on the back of them.

With that, you can....plug in an external monitor.

You can...look at both the laptop's built in monitor on the lid, and the external monitor, at the same time. Say you're at the head of a classroom....you're working on your laptop, looking at it through it's own built in screen. You also have some huge external monitor plugged into the the back of your laptop....that the people in the class are looking at.

Or instead of an external monitor, an LCD projector....shooting the image up to a screen.

XP or nVidia's nView, from what I've seen, will let you "widen" your screen...open up an application and move it over to the other monitor. It's more of an extension of the right edge of your desktop.

But I want both to be the exact same...both to have the desktops.

zooner
04-08-03, 02:08 PM
i'll be honest.

nvidia's dual monitor functions S*CK.

When I was using my radeon 8500 as a dual monitor card, it was VERY easy to do exactly what you're talking about. I've also used a super cheap 4meg pci video card and plugged in a monitor to that for a dual monitor setup.

Both worked fantastic. And BOTH allowed you to do what you're thinking of. Burke is selling a radeon8500LE for pretty cheap in the for sale section and I can assure you, it'd work perfect for what you're trying to do.