PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 Pro BIOS shows as 4x AGP ?

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 09:01 AM
OK, my infinite loop lockups have come back - thought I had this biotch fixed.
I d/l'ed the ATI Inspector and BIOS finder and the card shows as 1x/2x/4x. (?!?!?!)

http://www.speedfreek.net/pix/RADEON%20BIOS.jpg

I have my mobo set to Auto/8x which could be causing the problems. I have decided to get rid of this mobo anyway and get something a little more stable.

But my question is: why is my Radeon not showing 8x? I have read that you can flash the BIOS on these things, but have yet to find the ATI BIOS flash utility or any standard Radeon BIOS files - just files that let you overclock from a 9500 to a 9700 etc.

It could be the mobo that is causing the results to show wrong, but I wanna be really sure this vid. card is doing what it is supposed to.

Any Ideas?

Brk
04-06-03, 09:10 AM
What driver version are you using?

I had problems with my old 9700 Pro like that, and uninstalling the drivers and updating fixed it. It kept bumping the card to either 4x or no AGP at all.

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 09:10 AM
..... but SiSoft Sandra shows it as 8x capable............

http://www.speedfreek.net/pix/Sandra%20Radeon.jpg

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 09:13 AM
Catalyst 3.2s - been running fine till yesterday ............. 5 lock-ups in one hour - I was starting to think it was the board, and it may very well be, but I still want to straighten this out.

Hey Burke, what's a good, fast, stable board for my set up? I was thinking Asus or MSI (the MSIs aren't that fast, but all the one's I've had are rock-solid)

LOL - a buddy of mine told me "Hey ANYTHING'S faster if it doesn't lock up :D .....guess he's right.

Brk
04-06-03, 09:16 AM
You know, I had major problems running AGP 8x on both the 8INXP and the P4G8X boards...I think Granite Bay is simply not ready for prime time. Hopefully Canterwood/Springdale will be.

As for a new board, the Canterwoods are rumored to hit the street on April 14, but as far as 845PE boards go, the ABIT It7-MAX2 v2.0 I'm using now is pretty sweet. Very stable and very fast. The ASUS P4PE is another good option.

Brk
04-06-03, 09:26 AM
I found this over at the HardForums, in a thread by "keto"

Also, install order is SUPREMELY important with 8INXP (and I believe all GB). I always do NIC drivers first so I can grab the rest of the net/network but the suggested order that has worked successfully for me is:

NIC (which you should prolly do last if you can)
SP1
Intel chipset drivers & App Accel
DX9
ATI drivers & control panel
Sound

Then, disable fast writes in the ATI Control Panel GART.

Doing it this way, I have a very stable system on an 8INXP. The most critical step is SP1 then chipset, never Intel drivers first. Some people say do DX9 AFTER ATI but I don't agree based on personal experience.

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 09:50 AM
That's pretty much the order I installed - my copy of XP is slipstreamed w/ SP1., and I installed the chipset drivers right after XP - I always do that right after the OS. Last time I reinstalled, I did DX9 before the Cat drivers, and sound was last.

I've always heard good things about ABit, but I've never tried one. I think I need to go w/ a proven board (which hopefully will eventually get a BIOS upgrade to cover 8x AGP), rather than the "latest, greatest" - ah, what a little extra $$ will do to your brain

:)

Brk
04-06-03, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Claude_Ballz
That's pretty much the order I installed - my copy of XP is slipstreamed w/ SP1., and I installed the chipset drivers right after XP - I always do that right after the OS. Last time I reinstalled, I did DX9 before the Cat drivers, and sound was last.

I've always heard good things about ABit, but I've never tried one. I think I need to go w/ a proven board (which hopefully will eventually get a BIOS upgrade to cover 8x AGP), rather than the "latest, greatest" - ah, what a little extra $$ will do to your brain

:)

I don't believe a BIOS update can provide AGP 8x capability to a board. It's either supports it or it doesn't.

Brent
04-06-03, 12:44 PM
there is a current problem with granite bay and agp 8x

its a mobo problem, not a vid card problem

remember, GB was meant for the workstation market segment, not the home user

springdale and canterwood is for the home market

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 03:45 PM
Thanx for the info Brent - uh, what is Sprindale? I haven't heard of that one.

.... going to go google now :)

Brk
04-06-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Claude_Ballz
Thanx for the info Brent - uh, what is Sprindale? I haven't heard of that one.

.... going to go google now :)

The chipset after Canterwood.

Canterwood = 875
Springdale = 865

YARDofSTUF
04-06-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Burke
The chipset after Canterwood.

Canterwood = 875
Springdale = 865

if springdale is after canterwood then why is its number earlier than canterwood's? :p

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 03:54 PM
ahh yes - just came back to edit my post after googling, and Burke beat me to it.

If this chipset is to hit the streets the 14th, shouldn't there be some linkage to mobos w/ it?

* heads back to google*

Brk
04-06-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
if springdale is after canterwood then why is its number earlier than canterwood's? :p

Beats me, just is.

Brk
04-06-03, 03:55 PM
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110767

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 03:58 PM
woah ...........

http://www.speedfreek.net/pix/news_abit1000fsb.jpg

1000 MHz FSB :eek:

YARDofSTUF
04-06-03, 04:03 PM
i'd love a 1ghz fsb

Brent
04-06-03, 04:12 PM
Canterwood is better then Springdale, they are numbered appropriately.

Canterwood is coming out either BEFORE springdale OR they are both coming out at the same time.

Just because Canterwood is coming out maybe first doesn't mean its the lower end model. The opposite is true.

Springdale = 865
Canterwood = 875

Canterwood is the top product.

Jamie_R
04-06-03, 06:43 PM
...... any links for pre-order? I've been reading lots of specs, lots of reviews, but no one is admitting they're gonna get em :(

The ABit and Asus boards look really good - Gigabyte has one too, but I'm REALLY frustrated w/ this G-Byte I have right now. When I was researching it, all I heard was great things, but now that I've got it in, it seems like all I see on the 'net are people complaining about problems w/ it.
I know, sometimes you just get a bad one, but I don't wanna have to go through all this again .............

Brk
04-06-03, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't pre-order it, since most stores aren't reliable in getting them in stock. I'd wait for April 15 or 16 and hit your favorite stores then to see.

Brent
04-06-03, 07:18 PM
there won't be any pre-orders on a product that hasn't been announced yet

once its announced then pre-orders and stuff will show up

SLK
04-06-03, 08:31 PM
GB doesn't meet AGP 8x spec.