PDA

View Full Version : Would this Kill my Videocard?

SLK
04-06-03, 12:37 AM
My fan died out on my Evga GF4 Ti4200 so I replaced it with my Palit cooler. I Bought a new one for my palit

Right here http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/g4.htm

Since its a 3 pin instead of a 2 I took the plastic header from the videocard so it just has the bare 2 pins and connected it to the 2 Pin. Of course the 3 pin is for fan rpm detection (Dont know why for a videocard cooler) But the stock cooler puts out .9 amps as this new one puts out .28a. Could I damage anything by doing this?

Thanks,

SLK

dj_tigger1982
04-06-03, 05:50 AM
emmmmm....

it should be OK, i have a Geforce 4 440 MX and the fan on that went tits up, soo i needed to get a replacement fan, the one i got was similer to the one u bought, the one that came on the card originally was a 3 pin one with a rpm detection, i replaced mine with a cooler, and quiter one, and it only had two pins. I have been running it like that for 6 mths + now, and it has not had any problems. The Rpm detector just tells you if the fan is spinning and how fast, it also shows if there is an increase in the fan speed due to excess heat.

hope this help....

Brk
04-06-03, 08:24 AM
Just plug it into a motherboard fan header and you'll know the next time the fan dies.

The Dude
04-06-03, 09:45 AM
When my Voodoo 5500 died I took the fans off and saved them. I used one for a chipset cooler for my mobo. They had three pin headers but they were 5V fans. I made an adapter and connected it to an unused floppy power plug. I gave up on trying to use the speed sensor. Sounds like all your vid cards use 12v fans.

Cypher
04-06-03, 11:02 AM
Nope. Thats exactly what I have on my Ti. I used the adapter it comes with to hook it up to 4 pin. I was gonna rig it so it could use the onboard header, but I did'nt want to stress the card with a higher voltage demand.:D