PDA

View Full Version : Nasa reporting lost communications with shuttle...



Pages : [1] 2

Indy
02-01-03, 09:23 AM
Breaking news on cnn right now...

Needlefreak
02-01-03, 09:25 AM
Was just coming here to type that...Bastid!!!!

Indy
02-01-03, 09:26 AM
They just showed a video over texas of multiple trails... :(

ScottE
02-01-03, 09:27 AM
:(

Needlefreak
02-01-03, 09:31 AM
Was this the flight that went up with the Israeli Astronaut??

downhill
02-01-03, 09:32 AM
They have lost all tracking of it also.....that's more worrisome.

Indy
02-01-03, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Needlefreak
Was this the flight that went up with the Israeli Astronaut??

Yes...


The shuttle looked like it just started disintegrating on reentry :(

This is not good...

Roody
02-01-03, 09:33 AM
someone just told me they reacquired communication with it. not sure though :(

Indy
02-01-03, 09:34 AM
CNN is reporting accounts of a loud impact about 100 miles south of Dallas...

Mark
02-01-03, 09:35 AM
this is not good news :(

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 09:38 AM
///silence///
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif

SeedOfChaos
02-01-03, 09:38 AM
This would be a nightmare if true... *switches on CNN* :(

Indy
02-01-03, 09:39 AM
Nasa's declared an emergency...

Roody
02-01-03, 09:41 AM
keep me updated guys im in class right now, and it looks like internet news is running behind what you guys are seeing.

Indy
02-01-03, 09:42 AM
CNN is reporting that the Bush administration is convening...

Very, very bad...:(

SeedOfChaos
02-01-03, 09:42 AM
They advised anyone in Texas, especially Dallas Ft.Worth area to stay away from debris because it could be toxic and to alert your local authority about it!

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 09:49 AM
Moment of silence for family and friends of the 7 onboard.

JawZ
02-01-03, 09:52 AM
We can't seem to catch a break can we?

I can't even imagine what their families are going through right now. The families were in mission control when it happened. when NASA figured that something was wrong, they hurried the families into private rooms.

porkchop
02-01-03, 09:52 AM
*shakes head* Sad... just sad...:(

porkchop
02-01-03, 09:53 AM
Moment of silence for family and friends of the 7 onboard.
I second that

Indy
02-01-03, 09:53 AM
From an AP report:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/space/02/01/shuttle.landing.ap/top.shuttle.landing.jpg


SPACE CENTER, Houston, Feb. 1 — NASA declared an emergency after losing communication with space shuttle Columbia as the ship soared over Texas several minutes before its expected landing time Saturday morning.

FEARING THE WORST, NASA ordered flight controllers to pull out emergency procedures and ordered them to retain all their records.
Columbia was aiming for a touch down at 9:16 a.m.
It was at an altitude of 200,700 feet, traveling at 12,500 mph when mission control lost contact. There was no further communication and no further tracking data.
Reporters at the landing strip were ordered away 7 minutes after the scheduled touchdown with still no sign of the shuttle.
In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit. In 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after liftoff.
Security had been tight for the 16-day scientific research mission that included the first Israeli astronaut.
Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel’s air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia’s Jan. 16 launch, but also for its landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.
On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said as late as Friday that the damage to the thermal tiles was believed to be minor and posed no safety concern during the fiery decent through the atmosphere.

porkchop
02-01-03, 09:57 AM
Nasa error? or Terrorist bastards?

Indy
02-01-03, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by neowing_zero
Nasa error? or Terrorist bastards?

I doubt it was terror related just due to the fact that it was up at 200,000 feet when it happened...

I'd say it's more likely due to what was reported in the AP report from my last post...

porkchop
02-01-03, 09:59 AM
I'd say it's more likely due to what was reported in the AP report from my last post...
ur probably rite. it just said on cnn that no missile is fast enough to catch that flying brick at 12500 mph...

Indy
02-01-03, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by neowing_zero
ur probably rite. it just said on cnn that no missile is fast enough to catch that flying brick at 12500 mph...

I will have to admit that the terror aspect of it did flash thru my head first off when I heard this breaking, due to the fact of the Israeli astronaut on board...

porkchop
02-01-03, 10:02 AM
ya... they said somethin bout extra security at launch site.

mikemean
02-01-03, 10:03 AM
:(

Indy
02-01-03, 10:05 AM
I'd never thought I'd see the loss of one shuttle in my lifetime, much less two :(

Roody
02-01-03, 10:06 AM
Is there anymore new news guys?

JawZ
02-01-03, 10:10 AM
Indy,

I'm sure that the debris from the launch damaged the left wing.

WE'll probably see pre-entry inspections now....spacewalks specifically to check the outer shell of ceramic tiles.

Indy
02-01-03, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Roody
Is there anymore new news guys?

They've got some new photos of multiple pieces of the shuttle up on CNN right now...

Nothing new other than that..

Indy
02-01-03, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by UOD
Indy,

I'm sure that the debris from the launch damaged the left wing.

WE'll probably see pre-entry inspections now....spacewalks specifically to check the outer shell of ceramic tiles.

Yep, they showed the launch a few minutes ago and you could see pretty clearly the debris falling from the external tank during takeoff...one of the engineers said it was of 'no grave concern'...ominous words if I ever heard any :(

mwkirchner
02-01-03, 10:15 AM
This is so sad http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/jpshakehead.gif

Talking to an eye witness that said he heard what sounded like a sonic boom. Said he had just gone out to see if he could see the shuttle because this was the closest that he would ever get to seeing the shuttle return to Earth. He said he would have been able to see the vapor trail as it landed. He saw the trails but thought that maybe that was the way it looked ... since he had never actually seen one land before.

The news is reporting that they do NOT feel that terrorist has anything to do with this.

JawZ
02-01-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Indy
Yep, they showed the launch a few minutes ago and you could see pretty clearly the debris falling from the external tank during takeoff...one of the engineers said it was of 'no grave concern'...ominous words if I ever heard any :(

Those were almost the exact words that the engineers used when describing the problems with the "O" rings prior to the Challenger disaster.

:(

Indy
02-01-03, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by UOD
Those were almost the exact words that the engineers used when describing the problems with the "O" rings prior to the Challenger disaster.

:(

Almost 17 years to the day...

I've got the same feelings running thru me right now as I did that day as a senior in high school watching it in our AV lab on CNN :(

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 10:22 AM
Every launch, ice and insulation breaks off...it's normal. It's a matter of if pieces big enough hit critical spots and do any damage to the ceramic tiles. Some spots being more critical than others. Ceramic tiles always have fallen off on all prior shuttles...it's a matter of which ones, where, what they were covering component or structural wise.

Indy
02-01-03, 10:26 AM
Nasa is officially reporting the shuttle lost :(

Indy
02-01-03, 10:39 AM
msnbc's got a better video up of the shuttle:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/857733.asp?0cv=CA00

Needlefreak
02-01-03, 10:44 AM
Their finding debris is the streets of Nacogdoches Tx...

Indy
02-01-03, 10:45 AM
Is it me, or does anyone else find it ironic that this shuttle flight, with an Israeli onboard, explodes and debris is falling in Palestine, TX?

:(

Needlefreak
02-01-03, 10:49 AM
Lotta that stuff...The Israeli on board also flew in the attack on Iraqs nuclear reactor..

cybotron r_9
02-01-03, 10:54 AM
Shuttle takes first Israeli into space (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/01/16/shuttle.launch/)


Ilan Ramon (Colonel, Israel Air Force)
Payload Specialist (http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/PS/ramon.html)

Terrorists? You bet. IMHO

and even if it were terrorists do you think the government would tell the truth or say it was just a misplaced heat tile or some other BS :(

Needlefreak
02-01-03, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by cybotron r_9
Shuttle takes first Israeli into space (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/01/16/shuttle.launch/)
Ilan Ramon (Colonel, Israel Air Force)
Payload Specialist (http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/PS/ramon.html)

Terrorists? You bet. IMHO

and even if it were terrorists do you think the government would tell the truth or say it was just a misplaced heat tile or some other BS :(

I think is this day and age they'll probally say is was sabotage by (insert whoever we hate) just to not admit they fudged up on the sheild..

nepenthe
02-01-03, 11:08 AM
damn........ <sniffing back tears>

shant,
david

JawZ
02-01-03, 11:11 AM
If anything...we need to spend money on safety.

First, the shuttle needs an ejection module. We have combat aircraft that have ejection modules. Expensive...but necessary imho.

Second, we need a space station....it can serve as a safe haven. If something is detected on launch then the astronauts can go to the station, dock, and inspect. If something is wrong. They stay there until it can be fixed.

Third, we need advanced AI systems/troubleshooters. If engineers say that something is good...let the AI computers run it through a barage of tests and models to see if their theories can hold up. We need to focus on outcomes. AI can help us chart these possibilities.

YARDofSTUF
02-01-03, 11:16 AM
that really sucks :(


ya know theres a risk of it happening but u just dont think it ever will.

Indy
02-01-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by UOD
If anything...we need to spend money on safety.

First, the shuttle needs an ejection module. We have combat aircraft that have ejection modules. Expensive...but necessary imho.

Second, we need a space station....it can serve as a safe haven. If something is detected on launch then the astronauts can go to the station, dock, and inspect. If something is wrong. They stay there until it can be fixed.

Third, we need advanced AI systems/troubleshooters. If engineers say that something is good...let the AI computers run it through a barage of tests and models to see if their theories can hold up. We need to focus on outcomes. AI can help us chart these possibilities.

Yep, these are all needed...

The unique situation here as compared to the Challenger explosion is the fact that there are still astronauts up in space that depend on the shuttle to get back to earth. We can't just suspend the shuttle missions...

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 11:31 AM
Those are probably near impossible though.....the CNN guy started hinting in on that, harping on "why wasn't there one"...but if you think of it, try ejecting something while the main object is traveling 'tween 15k and 20k mph, it would be even more catostrophic. They were in a transitional state speedwise, and in the atmosphere, were I really think an ejection capsule would be an impossible feat.

ScottE
02-01-03, 11:32 AM
The ejection module would only be effective during launch. I don't think it would be feasable to be able to eject this pod from the craft at 200,000+ ft traveling at 17,000 mph. Keep in mind that you still have to maintain a precise angle of attack in order to keep from burning up. Not saying that it's a bad idea I just don't think it would have helped in this instance.

JawZ
02-01-03, 11:39 AM
An ejection module would not have been practical in this scenario...that is why I suggested 3 things.

They should have never attempted re-entry if damage was discoverd post launch. They should dock with a space station and investigate.

Dakota
02-01-03, 11:44 AM
I just got up and read this on the news. Had been watching cable TV channels and had no idea this had happened. This is so, so sad. I am in shock as I watch all this. Looks like the damage to the wing on takeoff will be the ultimate cause. The thought that it's terrorism of some sort is just ludicrous.

Indy
02-01-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Dakota
I just got up and read this on the news. Had been watching cable TV channels and had no idea this had happened. This is so, so sad. I am in shock as I watch all this. Looks like the damage to the wing on takeoff will be the ultimate cause. The thought that it's terrorism of some sort is just ludicrous.

Yep, given the conditions at which it happened, I'm inclined to believe that the shuttle suffered a structural failure (perhaps because of the debris from the launch), and something gave. Perhaps the wing (the first large piece of debris that shows on the video) broke off, causing the shuttle to go into an uncontrollable spin, breaking off other parts of the shuttle...

Ghosthunter
02-01-03, 11:47 AM
I just woke up, and saw the news.



My condolences go out to the families.


I dont think it was terrorism at all, just an accident, which is a always a very high risk when doing space travel.

A_old
02-01-03, 11:49 AM
This sucks. :(

A_old
02-01-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by davy19
I just woke up, and saw the news.



My condolences go out to the families.


I dont think it was terrorism at all, just an accident, which is a always a very high risk when doing space travel.

me too

A_old
02-01-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by John
I highly doubt terrorist involvement. NO way IMHO.

i agree there too..how could they have with that kind of security?

Norm
02-01-03, 11:57 AM
Very sad :(

Not a good morning so far :(

mwkirchner
02-01-03, 11:58 AM
They just made an "OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT" on TV and have said that the shuttle did indeed explode.

I realize that we all knew this ... but now they have made it official.

This is a very sad day in America as well as around the world.

I feel so sorry for the families who lost their loved ones in this terrible tragedy.

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 11:59 AM
Gotta check the tube again, are they showing any major debris found yet? Wondering what kind of area large debris may have fallen in.

JawZ
02-01-03, 12:00 PM
I agree. To even suggest terrorism is just ridiculous.

Space exploration is a dangerous business.

We need to pick up and press on.

cybotron r_9
02-01-03, 12:02 PM
The experiments involve a menagerie of specimens: cancer cells, fungi, rodents, spiders, bees and silkworms, as well as the astronauts themselves. They will have sensors to measure their physiological changes in orbit.

maybe it was some sort of Physiological metamorphysis that caused the rodents to rebel against there captors and eat through some wiring that brought the shuttle down...just a thought

RoundEye
02-01-03, 12:02 PM
This is such tragic event. :(

We can give up ever having a nuclear powered space program. Opponents will use this as a prime example of the dangers, and what would happen if the space craft blew up.

Just think what it would be like right now if that shuttle was nuclear powered and had spread radiated waste all over Texas and Louisiana.


The poor families of the astronauts.


:(

ScottE
02-01-03, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Indy
Yep, given the conditions at which it happened, I'm inclined to believe that the shuttle suffered a structural failure (perhaps because of the debris from the launch), and something gave. Perhaps the wing (the first large piece of debris that shows on the video) broke off, causing the shuttle to go into an uncontrollable spin, breaking off other parts of the shuttle...



From the video the shuttle looks pretty stable during reentry. I think it's either a failure of the reentry computers causing the shuttle to enter at too steep and angle thus causing the shuttle to burn up. Or Enough of the tiles fell off during the launch phase that during reentry the heat cause a ripple effect that caused more tiles to fall off (The first sign of breakup on the video) causing the shuttle to break up (second sign of debris) then the whole thing just goes up( the final part of that video when there are multiple burning trails of debris) Just specualtion at this point though. It wasn't terrorism the shuttle was over 3x higher than the highest SAM is capable of shooting. And was going way to fast for any SAM to keep up with it.

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye

The poor families of the astronauts.


:(

Yeah, I couldn't even begin to fathom the moment down there....families joyous and excited about a triumphant return of their loved ones...then something appears to be wrong. Now imagine the NASA official who had to quickly usher the awaiting families into a room elsewhere...when the chaos began.

Oh man...oh man.

Set
02-01-03, 12:06 PM
Man :(

I had to turn it off they where showing ther pics and going on and on about the them exploding 2,000 + feet

What a terible thing my Heart gos out to the love ones

ScottE
02-01-03, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Gotta check the tube again, are they showing any major debris found yet? Wondering what kind of area large debris may have fallen in.


Yeah they showed a piece of debris on a road somewhere in Texas.

Dakota
02-01-03, 12:14 PM
Latest is they say debris has been reported from Mexico through Arkansas.

RoundEye
02-01-03, 12:18 PM
http://www.nasa.gov/ :(


NASA STATEMENT ON LOSS OF COMMUNICATIONS WITH COLUMBIA

A Space Shuttle contingency has been declared in Mission Control, Houston, as a result of the loss of communication with the Space Shuttle Columbia at approximately 9 a.m. EST Saturday as it descended toward a landing at the Kennedy Space Center, Fla. It was scheduled to touchdown at 9:16 a.m. EST.

Communication and tracking of the shuttle was lost at 9 a.m. EST at an altitude of about 203,000 feet in the area above north central Texas. At the time communications were lost. The shuttle was traveling approximately 12,500 miles per hour (Mach 18). No communication and tracking information were received in Mission Control after that time.

Search and rescue teams in the Dallas-Fort Worth and in portions of East Texas have been alerted. Any debris that is located in the area that may be related to the Space Shuttle contingency should be avoided and may be hazardous as a result of toxic propellants used aboard the shuttle. The location of any possible debris should immediately be reported to local authorities.

Flight controllers in Mission Control have secured all information, notes and data pertinent to today's entry and landing by Space Shuttle Columbia and continue to methodically proceed through contingency plans.

News media covering the Space Shuttle should stay tuned to NASA Television, which is broadcast on AMC-2, transponder 9C, C-Band, located at 85 degrees West longitude. The frequency is 3880.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical and audio is monaural at 6.8 MHz. Reporters can also go to any NASA center newsroom to monitor the situation.

New information, including the times and locations of press briefings, will be posted to this page

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 12:27 PM
I just found it ironic we were talking about the camcorder on model rockets on a thread earlier this morning.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104867

Had pics from the rocket down to earth. Now were are all watching pics from the earth looking up at the re-entry of the space shuttle and the following catastrophe.

RoundEye
02-01-03, 12:35 PM
Local AM radio is reporting that body parts have been found in Sabine Parish Louisiana.

This is so horrible.

:(

In fact some of you may be able to hear it, WWL 870 AM. It's one of the strongest stations in the US.

njeddiek
02-01-03, 12:38 PM
This is a terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to the families of the astronauts. With so many successful launches and Landings people forget how dangerous space flight is.
I was a senior in high school in Florida and witnessed the Explosion of the Challenger. Something I will never forget.

JawZ
02-01-03, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
I just found it ironic we were talking about the camcorder on model rockets on a thread earlier this morning.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104867

Had pics from the rocket down to earth. Now were are all watching pics from the earth looking up at the re-entry of the space shuttle and the following catastrophe.

Not only that....last night I was reading multiple articles on space flight....I'm always intrigued by the subject. The "For Alll Mankind" video which is stickied re-ignited my interest.

I found a beautiful pic of the Earth being viewed from the shuttle.:( I posted it as my desktop background.:(

Then, i went to bed for the night. Woke up this morning after having a horrible nightmare of a fire.

this happened right before I woke up and came to SG......:(

Very sad day.

I still consider their mission a success though. They went to space and did their jobs. Hopefully the data they collected was sent back to Mission control and will one day be used in the advancement of mankind in space.

I don't think they died in vain.....

Randy
02-01-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by cybotron r_9
maybe it was some sort of Physiological metamorphysis that caused the rodents to rebel against there captors and eat through some wiring that brought the shuttle down...just a thought

YA... blame it on the rodents... pfft
i just saw some amature video and it looked like it impacted another object IMO

sorry for the loss of life and loss to space program

:(

Krazy Kraut
02-01-03, 12:49 PM
hopefully the millions of dollars spent on crew safety after challenger

the crew might still be alive

YARDofSTUF
02-01-03, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
This is such tragic event. :(

We can give up ever having a nuclear powered space program. Opponents will use this as a prime example of the dangers, and what would happen if the space craft blew up.

Just think what it would be like right now if that shuttle was nuclear powered and had spread radiated waste all over Texas and Louisiana.


The poor families of the astronauts.


:(


i do feel bad about it but i really hope with do head to nuclear power still.

RoundEye
02-01-03, 01:02 PM
NASA stated that we would lose one in every seventy-five shuttles.

This was the 113th shuttle mission and the 28th flight of the Columbia.

Not the best record.

The Dude
02-01-03, 01:20 PM
They are talking about a tire pressure problem. During the last bits of communication the space center acknowledged a message about tire pressure sent by the shuttle. They were having trouble understanding communications from the shuttle. Shortly after this they lost communication.

This is just so sad:(

Bouncer
02-01-03, 01:25 PM
Spaceflight is fundamentally a dangerous excercise. There will always be losses. There are so many forces conspiring against success on any level that every successful mission is almost a miracle.

This going to happen again and again. We cannot let it dampen our spirit for exploration. The astronauts themselves would insist on it. That is what truly separates mankind from the beasts in the forest. It's being willing to take that chance, to see what's over the next horizon.

God Speed Columbia.

Thomas Blakely

Dakota
02-01-03, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
NASA stated that we would lose one in every seventy-five shuttles.

This was the 113th shuttle mission and the 28th flight of the Columbia.

Not the best record.

Ahh but the Challenger was a technical faux pas and should never had been launched to begin with. Their 1-in-75 number is still good. If and only if you can even call that good.

My long-term fear is we'll be watching fat-cat congresspersons yakking about this for 18 months and they have not the slightest clue what happens in NASA.

We have people up there that need to be taken care of. Let's move on in a shortest time as possible. Yes find the reason, but move on and not let the Congress slow a process that we cannot afford to slow down.

That being said, Russia said they are sending up a re-supply mission to the Space Station tomorrow.

Ghosthunter
02-01-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Dakota
Ahh but the Challenger was a technical faux pas and should never had been launched to begin with. Their 1-in-75 number is still good. If and only if you can even call that good.

My long-term fear is we'll be watching fat-cat congresspersons yakking about this for 18 months and they have not the slightest clue what happens in NASA.

We have people up there that need to be taken care of. Let's move on in a shortest time as possible. Yes find the reason, but move on and not let the Congress slow a process that we cannot afford to slow down.

That being said, Russia said they are sending up a re-supply mission to the Space Station tomorrow.


Yep true, I already turned off the TV, I dont want to keep seeing the same thing over and over again, and the media just loves this...they are having a field day.

Dakota
02-01-03, 01:36 PM
"We must find what happened, fix it, and move on. We can't let their sacrifice be in vain."
-The families of the astronauts aboard Columbia
February 1, 2003

blebs
02-01-03, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by nepenthe
damn........ <sniffing back tears>

shant,
david
Exactly and your not alone.

ScottE
02-01-03, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Bouncer
Spaceflight is fundamentally a dangerous excercise. There will always be losses. There are so many forces conspiring against success on any level that every successful mission is almost a miracle.

This going to happen again and again. We cannot let it dampen our spirit for exploration. The astronauts themselves would insist on it. That is what truly separates mankind from the beasts in the forest. It's being willing to take that chance, to see what's over the next horizon.

God Speed Columbia.

Thomas Blakely


Well said.

fanta
02-01-03, 02:05 PM
Very sad day. I'm watching President Bush right now

:(

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 03:05 PM
They're showing quite a few debris fallout locations now.

Croc
02-01-03, 04:15 PM
A sad day. Woke up an hour ago to find this had happened.

Some brief notes on the crew:

Commander Rick Husband.
the 45-year-old mission commander, was a former test pilot selected for NASA's space program in 1994. Husband was a veteran of one previous space flight, a 10-day mission in 1999 during which the shuttle crew performed the first docking with the International Space Station.

Ilan Ramon, 47.
became the first Israeli to enter space when he blasted off with the ill-fated STS-107 mission. A colonel and fighter pilot in the Israeli Air Force, Ramon was approved by NASA in 1998 and began training as an astronaut later the same year.

Shuttle pilot William McCool, 40.
was a former test pilot who was making his first space flight with the 111th shuttle mission. McCool was selected by NASA in 1996.

Michael Anderson, 42.
was a former instructor pilot who had logged 211 hours in space on a previous shuttle mission in 1998. Selected in 1994, Anderson was a lieutenant colonel in the US Air Force and served as payload commander on the STS-107 mission.

US Navy Captain David Brown, 46.
was a naval aviator and flight surgeon on his first space flight, seven years after being selected as an astronaut.

Indian-born Kalpana Chawla, 42.
was a flight instructor who studied aeronautical engineering at Punjab Engineering College, India. With more than 376 hours already logged in space since her 1994 selection, Chawla was also the most experienced astronaut on the mission.

Laurel Clark, 41.
was a US Navy commander and naval flight surgeon selected by NASA in 1996. A zoology graduate as well as a doctor of medicine, Clark was on her first space flight.

Rest in Peace.

Croc.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
02-01-03, 07:30 PM
I just saw this thread and turned on CNN. :cry:

My all the astronauts rest in peace.

ScottE
02-02-03, 01:41 PM
Ken or someone in the apropriate possition archive this alongside the WTC thread? I feel it is worthy.

Indy
02-02-03, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by agentbeast
Ken or someone in the apropriate possition archive this alongside the WTC thread? I feel it is worthy.

I agree...

Before it is archived tho, I want to add this poem that I posted in the tribute thread:

HIGH FLIGHT

by

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.


Oh, I have slipped the surly bounds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a thousand things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,

I've chased the shouting wind along , and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark or even eagle flew.

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

ScottE
02-02-03, 09:11 PM
http://users.adelphia.net/~smevin/images/patch.jpg

Joint Chiefs of Staff
02-02-03, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by agentbeast
http://users.adelphia.net/~smevin/images/patch.jpg A mission badge. :( :(

ScottE
02-02-03, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
A mission badge. :( :(


Yep:(:(

I thought that this image was kind of touching.

Needlefreak
02-02-03, 09:49 PM
Our news reported they found all 7,they wont say where or how but they found em..

ScottE
02-02-03, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Needlefreak
Our news reported they found all 7,they wont say where or how but they found em..

NBC News said they found them in the woods outside of Noogadoches(sp?), Texas. In a large piece of the crew cabin. They also showed a helmet from one of the atronauts.:( Obviously nothing was in it and the glass was gone, it was a real erie sight. It is good that they found some remains for the families this way they will be able to have some closure.

Norm
02-02-03, 10:26 PM
Did they actually show pictures of that on TV?

Not necessary if you ask me. :(

Joint Chiefs of Staff
02-02-03, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Norm


Not necessary if you ask me. :( Agreed totally not necessary.

Dakota
02-02-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Needlefreak
Our news reported they found all 7,they wont say where or how but they found em..

NASA has since retracted that statement with the clarification that they have found partial remains of several of tha astronauts. It was a misstatement they said.

JawZ
02-02-03, 11:28 PM
I really think that we need to be able to dock with the ISS in case of an emergency.

all the NASA experts keep touting that nothing could have been done even if they found the damaged tiles.

Well...if we had the ability and if the ISS was outfitted to accept 7 additional souls, then all they would have to do is stay in orbit and dock with the ISS. then we send a rescue mission to either get the crew back or send a fixit team......dunno...but I do value the astronauts lives more than the shuttle itself.

The costs would be outrageous but I could live with a higher taxbill.

I think all missions should have a backup crew waiting on the ground should such an emergency arise.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
02-02-03, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by UOD


I think all missions should have a backup crew waiting on the ground should such an emergency arise. I agree.

Aircraft carriers have aircraft on standby ready on deck.

The only thing that comes to mind is the cost to have another shuttle fitted and an already trained crew standing by.

JawZ
02-02-03, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
I agree.

Aircraft carriers have aircraft on standby ready on deck.

The only thing that comes to mind is the cost to have another shuttle fitted and an already trained crew standing by.

Yup.

I think what we'll see in the coming weeks and months is that we have been living with a certain amount of risk. I can't ascertain whether the risk was acceptable or not. That risk just swam up and bit us on the ass and we lost 7 people as a result.

Still...we must press on. We must find solutions and we need to get back in the saddle ASAP.