PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever hear of this??

Travlin_Man
02-01-03, 07:43 AM
I am not sure if I have a problem or if it was a card problem.

I have a compaq presario notebook 1800 XL190. I have had this notebook since new(3yrs) and have had no significant problems. I have upgraded the memory to 328 meg (max for this model),, upgraded the hard drive and also upgraded to win xp pro.

I have been thinking of putting in a wireless access point on my home network. Last week while on the road,, my customer was running a wireless network and the IT guy there gave me an air card to use for the time I was there. It was a cisco card I believe. Anyways after putting it in my pcmcia slot, my computer started making a strange kind of static noise,, it looked like when the card was showing traffic. The IT guy said he had seen this before with older presario models and in fact it could fry a motherboard. Out came the card... heh heh Can't afford a new notebook right now :-)

has anybody ever heard of this before? No sense setting up a wireless access point here if my pcmcia slot is bad. Maybe it was the cisco card, but I dont know......

A_old
02-01-03, 07:54 AM
did u have it plugged into the wall? if so try w/ out.. i've had issues w/ power and similar problems b4 w/ toshibas tho..2 series ago

Travlin_Man
02-01-03, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the reply...

No I was running on battery,,, no wires. Hell I was getting excited.. had thought about running out the building with access..heh heh...

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 08:14 AM
Is the PCMCIA slot nice and clean? No junk in there to mess you the connection when you insert the card? It's a new enough computer that one, if not both, of the card slots should be 32-bit cardbus, which I'm sure the wireless card requires, instead of the old 16 bit bus.

If it is hosed, USB wireless is inexpensive.

Travlin_Man
02-01-03, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply YE,,,

I'm not to sure about what the pcmcia slot is... never really had the need to explore it. I am not sure if it is 32 or 16,, but i would assume it is 32.. the notebook is only a few years old. I will check the slots for dirt and such.

Thanks again..

whats the sccop on usb wireless??

YeOldeStonecat
02-01-03, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Travlin_Man

whats the sccop on usb wireless??

Well, it works, and they're inexpensive little adapters.

Don't worry about the USB bus being your bottleneck, since wireless will realistically be 1/3 of that anyways...the wireless is your bottleneck throughput wise.