PDA

View Full Version : My new toy! :D

Docsta
02-01-03, 02:33 AM
Just got my new toy up and running.

My Server/Gaming rig...running 238 gigs in all. Two 60GB WD's in Raid 0. Seperate 100, and 18GB HD's (All Western Digital of course :D) . 1 GB of Corsair XMS PC-3200. AMD XP 1900+ w/Alpha 8045U Heatsink and Sunon 80MM Fan. Sound Blaster Live! Value card.

Epox 8K5A2+ MB w/ usb 2.0 (see the motherboard HERE (http://www.epox.com/html/motherboard.asp?product=EP-8K5A2plus&lang=1) )

Geforce 3 Ti200, (soon to be Radeon 8500DDR) when I can get my hands on the R350 when it comes out, and pull the 8500 out of my main gaming rig, and switch it to the server/gaming rig.

Amro put everything together for me today at work while we were there together. He did a great job with the cabling, and what not. I took some pics with my digicam, and will post them later for all to see. Thanks a lot for the help bro! :cool:

Now I got both computers running awesome. Finally my dream setup is complete..im a happy man :D

LT-73
02-01-03, 02:40 AM
W00t! Congrats bro!! :D

Docsta
02-01-03, 02:43 AM
LT thanks bro!! ur the man. :)

A_old
02-01-03, 02:45 AM
any time bud. hey dino, how're ya man, sorry i haven't called lately..rediculous amount of crap to do. :\

HawaiianGhost
02-01-03, 11:08 AM
Congrats Docsta,

Is that HighPoint "on-board" RAID chip better than than the Promise on-board RAID??

I'm planning out a server rig in the future but want to try to shy away from a PCI controller RAID card and stick with on-board. But if everyone agrees that a PCI Card design is better, then I guess I'll go with that... I have never used a HighPoint chip before and this is my first dealing with Promise which seems decent.

A_old
02-01-03, 11:36 AM
i like highpoints..shrug. yea better for card cause u can move it to another machine---but i never game a damn about that .. lol :) i'd take neatness over it anyday...however..u can get some better pci cards...3ware and mid range promise cards..etc...u can add cache to(as u saw roundeye do)

HawaiianGhost
02-01-03, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Amro
i like highpoints..shrug. yea better for card cause u can move it to another machine---but i never game a damn about that .. lol :) i'd take neatness over it anyday...however..u can get some better pci cards...3ware and mid range promise cards..etc...u can add cache to(as u saw roundeye do)

ADD Cache?? Really...?? Definitely didn't know that, as you can tell I am still "touching-the-surface-of-the-waters" on RAID configs/hardware. I will do more research on advantages/disadvantages on RAID itself and then the different hardware options.
This on-board Promise is great for ppl like me trying to get into it...games load a lot faster and nicer, not mention my other apps such as sound studios when dealing with multiple wave and mp3 files. Made my first 3 minute looping cut with ease...

Thnx Amro...

A_old
02-01-03, 11:51 AM
np. yea.. u can add SDram to it (like 128MB pc133 etc)