PDA

View Full Version : Tv tuner card

ctodd
01-31-03, 12:53 PM
Guys I would like to buy one. What are some good ones to look at? ATI has one usb. Has anyone heard about this one?

Ghosthunter
01-31-03, 01:07 PM
What do you want to do with it?

Just watch pure tv?

Then get this card:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=260799&pfp=SEARCH

Or do you also want to capture and make realtime mpeg?

then get his one, makes the best realtime mpeg2 from all the cards I tried:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=292415&pfp=SEARCH

Dont get USB if you planning on doing any capturing, or audio alsmot always goes out of sync

zooner
01-31-03, 01:14 PM
leadtek tv/fm 2000 is the ONLY card to get. that thing is amazing and you can get it for 59 from newegg.com

loop2kil
01-31-03, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by zooner
leadtek tv/fm 2000 is the ONLY card to get. that thing is amazing and you can get it for 59 from newegg.com

I have that one too and love it...comes with a remote and you can capture realtime DIVX as well as many other formats.

YARDofSTUF
01-31-03, 01:46 PM
i just ordered the leadtek one yesterday!

iaus10
01-31-03, 02:15 PM
I'm thinking of getting a tv card too. Does the leadtek allow you to display to a TV as well? Or is it on yer PC only?

Ghosthunter
01-31-03, 02:30 PM
I dont think the leadtek has a realtime mpeg encoder like the huappauge.

I never tried that one, but of all the cards I tried the hauppauge pvr 250 gave the best quality in capturing any mpegs and converting straight to vcd/svcd/xsvcd, especially if I was converting any my vhs tapes.

With the realtime mpeg encoder, I can do multiple things while not taking away from cpu utilization.

Here is a review of the pvr 250

http://steve.kittelsen.com/pvr250/

Only thing that I dont like is the native software wintv2000. but I can overlook it for the quality.

loop2kil
02-01-03, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by davy19
I dont think the leadtek has a realtime mpeg encoder like the huappauge.

I never tried that one, but of all the cards I tried the hauppauge pvr 250 gave the best quality in capturing any mpegs and converting straight to vcd/svcd/xsvcd, especially if I was converting any my vhs tapes.

With the realtime mpeg encoder, I can do multiple things while not taking away from cpu utilization.

Here is a review of the pvr 250

http://steve.kittelsen.com/pvr250/

Only thing that I dont like is the native software wintv2000. but I can overlook it for the quality.

Yep it does realtime mpg2 and mpg1 as well as divx(which is the most compressed) and ive never dropped a single frame. In fact, i just recorded a 6 hour block of the super bowl in Divx5 and the whole thing is only 2.91 gb @ 640x480. I wanted those cool commercials.
http://home.attbi.com/~loop2kil/capture.JPG

drdoug99
02-01-03, 02:14 AM
man, i'm SOOOO tempted to click yes right now on that Leadtek card.....it has exactly everything I need....for the same price as the Happuage WInTV toGO card...(well like 10 bucks more) but unfortulanly I got these stupid bills to pay....GRR...:mad:

Just to confirm, the leadtek card has the S-video input...the input will let me hook up my PS2 correct? I can configure all that through the tv cards settings or whatever?

and hooking up TV....can I run a splitter from my cable modem's cable line, and make 2 lines from the modem to the TV card? or do I need to have a seperate TV cable line ran to the computer?

loop2kil
02-01-03, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by drdoug99
man, i'm SOOOO tempted to click yes right now on that Leadtek card.....it has exactly everything I need....for the same price as the Happuage WInTV toGO card...(well like 10 bucks more) but unfortulanly I got these stupid bills to pay....GRR...:mad:

Just to confirm, the leadtek card has the S-video input...the input will let me hook up my PS2 correct? I can configure all that through the tv cards settings or whatever?

and hooking up TV....can I run a splitter from my cable modem's cable line, and make 2 lines from the modem to the TV card? or do I need to have a seperate TV cable line ran to the computer?

Mine is split...just get a good splitter

and yes it has svideo, cablein, and composite in as well.

cy
02-01-03, 03:05 AM
I heard that the MSI one is good as well ;)

Ghosthunter
02-01-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by loop2kil
Yep it does realtime mpg2 and mpg1 as well as divx(which is the most compressed) and ive never dropped a single frame. In fact, i just recorded a 6 hour block of the super bowl in Divx5 and the whole thing is only 2.91 gb @ 640x480. I wanted those cool commercials.

I meant a hardware mpg encoder. The leadtek is using realtime software encoding which will never be good as a hardware encoder. unless you capture first as a an AVI, then use something like TMPGNEC and encode it, but that takes forever to get the best qaulity.

I dont do divx so that dont matter to me.

How is the qualiy when burning it to VCD/SVCD/XSVCD?

Is there any blockiness or artifacts?

ctodd
02-01-03, 12:28 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll check out the links.

loop2kil
02-01-03, 01:14 PM
no, its smooth as any other...the hardware based card would be better but its also a little more expensive. As long as you have a fast pc, the software based cards will work very good.

Cameron203
02-01-03, 01:47 PM
I'm confused I thought the Leadtek MyVIVO edition allowed you to record video signal coming in?

zooner
02-01-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Cameron203
I'm confused I thought the Leadtek MyVIVO edition allowed you to record video signal coming in?

it does...

I have one and it does a damn fine job I might add.

Cameron203
02-01-03, 04:34 PM
OK so how would I connect my cable tv to it, it only has rca plugs and the cable tv is coxial cable

Ghosthunter
02-01-03, 04:43 PM
I connect my cable by connecting it first to my vcr, and then my vcr into my PVR 250

and use my vcr remote to control the channels.

Cameron203
02-01-03, 05:14 PM
ANyway to go straight from a coaxial into a rca like do they make an adapter?

Basically I am trying to see if I need a tv card if I have the My vivo edition

YARDofSTUF
02-01-03, 05:31 PM
somethign like this?

http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/rcacoaxialconnectors.htm

Cameron203
02-02-03, 02:03 AM
SO would I not need a TV tuner card with the video card I have?

loop2kil
02-02-03, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Cameron203
SO would I not need a TV tuner card with the video card I have?

You do need something to tune tv stations for you video in. you could run it from a vcr or dig cable box and use the remote for it to change channels.

zooner
02-02-03, 02:21 AM
i have the my vivo too...

another advantage to using the vcr is that you can also watch tapes. Still yet another advantage is that you can take those tapes and then capture and encode them into vcd's.

:)

Cameron203
02-02-03, 02:21 AM
I don't have a vcr though

So it would probably be better just to the get tv tuner card from newegg while its cheap eh...

zooner
02-02-03, 02:25 AM
i kinda disagree here...

instead of spending the money on a tv tuner card, spend it on a vcr. you might catch a sale where the vcr is actually CHEAPER then the tuner. Plus, the vcr will serve multiple purposes.

YARDofSTUF
02-02-03, 09:25 AM
ya u could get a vcr for like 30-40 bucks i'd think

Cameron203
02-02-03, 11:56 AM
Yea but buying a vcr would be worthless to me since I don't buy vhs tapes.

Does the tuner card have alot of apps that run in the background?

YARDofSTUF
02-02-03, 12:04 PM
i dont think so, hope not.

zooner
02-02-03, 02:03 PM
Does the tuner card have alot of apps that run in the background?

leadtek doesnt... at least only what you let run.