PDA

View Full Version : John Carmack comparison of R300 to NV30 with Doom 3

Ghosthunter
01-30-03, 09:02 PM
http://www.webdog.org/plans/1/

YARDofSTUF
01-30-03, 09:09 PM
theres some good news for the card at least, with the 7db gainward version and better drivers it might actually hold out in the end.

Massa
01-31-03, 03:37 AM
I sweaer its a stopgap ... the next gen Nvidia card wil be out by May ... i bet they are just trying to make ATI condifent

IMO of course :D

vc_wannabe
01-31-03, 04:08 AM
So the ATI card that is already in the works/ready to go incase the FX is faster will be out in no time to stom Nvidia once again:) ?

BTW, I miss 3DFX:(

Brent
01-31-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by vc_wannabe
So the ATI card that is already in the works/ready to go incase the FX is faster will be out in no time to stom Nvidia once again:) ?

BTW, I miss 3DFX:(

The R350 is rumored to be released in March or April

Ghosthunter
01-31-03, 12:44 PM
One thing John does say and I still agree with and main reason giong to stick with Nvidia, is thye do make better stable drivers, with more comaptibility.

I will pass on the FX for now, since I wont have my new machine till the summer, hoping by then Geforce takes their crown back, just in time.

Brk
01-31-03, 03:03 PM
John Carmack always reminds me of Alan Cumming's character from "Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion."

Massa
01-31-03, 03:25 PM
Actually, i love 3dFX ... i miss them sooooo much and for one reason

NO COMPANY HAS EVER BEEN MORE COMMITED TO THE GAMER, AND LESS TO THE BANK ACCOUNT!

I think that is the kind of stance we need to see Nvidia or ATI adopt.

Brk
01-31-03, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Massamune
NO COMPANY HAS EVER BEEN MORE COMMITED TO THE GAMER, AND LESS TO THE BANK ACCOUNT!

And you know what happened to it...

YeOldeStonecat
01-31-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Massamune

I think that is the kind of stance we need to see Nvidia or ATI adopt.

I dunno, I'd give credit to nVidia for that.....have you ever seen a company with such aggressive driver updates? Overclocking utilities built right into them?

nVidia weaned me off my SLI Voodoo II's with the first TNT1...fired up Quake 2 in true OpenGL...and my jaw hit the floor.

YARDofSTUF
01-31-03, 04:46 PM
3dfx were the masters of GPUs ati is mastering memory and nvidia has mastered drivers, but ati and nvidia are both a bit off on making a quality multigpu processor like 3dfx did.

Lightstream
01-31-03, 08:55 PM
As always, better cards are coming soon.

I wonder if he means better ATI cards on the way before the NV30 hit the stores?

A_old
02-01-03, 12:35 AM
3dfx never made a full blown gpu..and their muliproc systems were slow compared to cards like the gf3/8500..even compared to the gf2...they were smart and kept the market alive..but they aren't gfx gods. trust me. glide was a plague. still wish they were around tho..so no--multiproc doesn't mean better...why not just make one VERY power proc? save $$ and make it faster.

Amro