PDA

View Full Version : Just got my raid card.

RoundEye
01-27-03, 01:56 PM
And this thing is HUGE. I can't wait to get in installed in my server here at home. Loaded it up with 256megs of cas2 Crucial ram.

I can't believe I'm actually stoked about a piece of hardware.

Four Western Digital 100gig drives in a raid 5, with a total of 264 megs of cash. Zoom...Zoom....Zoom.... :D

http://members.cox.net/roundeye/raid1.jpg

Now I have two other Promise raid cards for sale soon.

YeOldeStonecat
01-27-03, 02:00 PM
Wow....4x WD's RAID 5....heh....she gonna cook! And all that cache!

Good luck, and enjoy!

Immortal
01-27-03, 02:10 PM
now that's what I call overkill.. :D hehe...

dang nice tho..

RoundEye
01-27-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Immortal
now that's what I call overkill.. :D hehe...

dang nice tho..

Immy, why has that package I sent you not moved in the last four days or so? I've been tracking it, and it hasn't moved for days.

Immortal
01-27-03, 02:28 PM
I'm probably gonna get taxed by the customs.. heh..

mark it gift or something... them stupid customs going through every piece of crap..

Mehmet
01-27-03, 02:28 PM
now if i got one of those roundeye, but set it up the same way as you except with no raid...

would i see a performance increase?

RoundEye
01-27-03, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mehmet
now if i got one of those roundeye, but set it up the same way as you except with no raid...

would i see a performance increase?

I don't think you would see much increase, if any. Mostly because of the hardware and what's called a parity bit. The parity bit wouldn't be used if you wasn't doing a raid 5 though. This is my first raid 5 at home and with IDE drives, so I really don't know how fast it'll be. The main reason for the raid 5 for me is protection of my data, the speed is just an added benefit. :D
I'll post some benchmarks soon, I'm about to dive into it now.

Originally posted by Immortal
I'm probably gonna get taxed by the customs.. heh..

mark it gift or something... them stupid customs going through every piece of crap..

I don't know how to mark it as a gift, but I did label it as "used computer parts", and a value of $50 US. I wish I had know more about this before hand.

YARDofSTUF
01-29-03, 05:33 AM
damn roundeye u better post some benchmarks!

RoundEye
01-29-03, 07:57 AM
As soon as I get all my apps installed and data moved I will. Takes a little longer to boot because of the card, but once I'm in windows, it's flying. :D

A_old
01-29-03, 11:03 AM
RE, how much was that and what type/model is it?