PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple of Q'z that need answering...

HawaiianGhost
01-25-03, 09:02 PM
First off, I've been updating some drivers and patches lately due to my latest catastrophe with my RAID array on my main rig. And I found that on the VIA website that there was a new 4in1 chipset driver something called Hyperion 4in1 v4.45'z but it only mentioned benefits for the latest KT400 mobo'z and not prior technology. Is this driver fully dedicated to the KT400'z or is it actually for all VIA chips? I already DL the pack but did not install it yet until this question is answered and validated. TIA

Second, can someone briefly define what the difference is between "Synchronous" and "Asynchronous" when talking about OC'ing? I think I have an idea of what it means but need verification - it deals mostly with the RAM right? TIA again...

SLK
01-25-03, 10:53 PM
Dont use the 4.45. Its unstable on older chipsets. My kt3ultra restarted on me all the time whe i had those drivers in and the scary thing is i didnt get the "mini dump" error

njeddiek
01-25-03, 10:58 PM
The Hyperion 4in1 are for all via chipsets. They are copying the universal driver concept from Nvidia so one driver pack works for all chipset.
Synchronous means running the ram at the same speed as the front side bus. Asynchronous is running the memory at a speed different than the front side bus. For best performance run in Sync mode.

HawaiianGhost
01-26-03, 06:42 AM
Thanx guys,
njeddiek, that's what I thought "sync" and "async" meant but I just had to be sure...