PDA

View Full Version : memory

nov0798
01-24-03, 11:55 AM
I recently replaced my ram. I had 512 total of ram (dimm, pc133) 2x256 modules and the computer worked fine. I replaced it with 2x512 modules and am now having a problem. The giga-byte mother board says it will support up to 1g of ram. I have flashed the bios with the latest software from giga-byte, and updated all drivers and such. The problem I am having is that sometimes the computer will not boot, it will hang on the first screen. Now if I turn it off and boot it back up again it will boot with no probs and run fine. Do you think the problem could be the extra 24 mb of ram, over 1g. Any input would be helpful. Oh also I checked to make sure that the DIMM's were seated into theor slots correctly. Thanks

Brk
01-24-03, 12:34 PM
1 GB of RAM is actually 1024 MB (512 x 2), so if the board supports 1 GB, then you're fine. But which Gigabyte mobo are you talking about?

YeOldeStonecat
01-24-03, 03:14 PM
Can you try just a single 512 module at a time....see if it behaves fine with one module for a few days, then swap out with the other module. Perhaps one of the modules is bad, and this may show which one if that's the case.

You bought the RAM brand new? Handled it properly?

Shagster
01-24-03, 03:26 PM
Maybe the mobo didnt auto adjust his dram voltage?

When it says 1GB ram does it mean registered or unregistered?

nov0798
01-24-03, 04:55 PM
the mobo is a ga6-veml. the memory was bought new, and handled properly. I will try to run one stcik at a time and see what that does, thanks.