How to disable the Windows Vista search indexer ?
Tags: Windows Vista
Windows Vista builds an index for faster file searching. This is done in the background, and at a low priority. It is still sometimes useful to turn off the search indexer to speed up your machine and reduce the load on the hard drive. It can be disabled by following the steps below:
1. Click Start, choose Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative tools
2. Double-click Services (if asked for permission, click "Continue")
3. Scroll through the list and find "Windows Search"
4. Right-click Windows Search, choose "Properties", click "Stop"
5. Click the dropdown box next to Startup Type, set it to "Disabled", click OK