Thread: Internet speed problems

Internet speed problems

Hoping someone here might be able to answer a few questions but first Ill start off with the problem/story.

Day 1 (1-24-2017)

Gaming around 6pm central time noticing some bad lag. I tried the speed test and I was only getting 5mbps download ping at 80ms. (Normally my ping is 30ms and download 81mbps)
    I did the first step of unplugging the modem for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Ran another speed test, still sitting at 5mbps. Started a chat with century link, they tested the lines they said everything looks good on their end. I told them I would just call tomorrow if the problem prosiest.

Day 2 (1-25-2017)

Ran a speed test in the morning. Ping was at 32ms and download at 81mbps. Everything is running great! Go to work and come home start gaming again noticing some lag.... Do speed test, back down to 5mbps. This time I start a chat and call at the same time. Wanted to see which one would answer my questions faster. First we did the unplug for 30 seconds and try speed test again. Then we did a hard reset and tried another speed test. Nothing. The person on the chat tested the lines everything looked good and she wanted to send me a new modem to see if thats the problem. I said sure so they were working on sending me a new one (They were going to charge me for sending me a new one $22... Im leasing and it was still under warranty. Only reason Im telling you this part is because after I was done chatting with them I figured I would call back and ask someone else if that was normal for them to charge me for shipping. Which I was able to ask this new person a few things and they said they wanted to send a tech out to look at it.

So long story short for day 2. I talked to someone from centurylink that wanted to send a tech out to look at it on 1-26-2017 between 4pm-7pm and that they would be bringing a new modem. (I was going to have them cancel the modem that they were sending out but the guy couldn't find an order for a new one.)

Day 3 (1-26-2017)

Ran a speed test in the morning.... Again everything is working perfect! Go to work get a message during the day that the tech came and checked the outside line at 11am. Said he re ran the line outside but everything looked good. Around 4pm my wife got home and I told her to run a speed test. Everything is still running perfect! I finally get home around 5pm run another speedtest and its back to 5mbps. I call them back ask why the guy didnt come around 4pm-7pm they didnt really have an answer. Then I also asked to check for the modem that was suppose to be coming out this time it did show up and that it would be on its way.

Then I asked the main question why is it that my speed runs great in the morning and bad when I get home from work. She said because of congestion on the line at night.... Ok well I was told I am guaranteed I think it was 70% of the speed or something (also I am hard wired to the pc) She said just wait for the new modem to come and try that and see if it works.

Day 4 (1-27-2017)

Another speed test in the morning and works great.... Surprise surprise. Now I am working writing this still wondering why it works great in the morning. Modem is suppose to come to day so I will try that out and let you guys know if that fixed the problem.

So my main question in this story is.. Why does it work so great in the morning and not when I get home from work. What other steps did I miss? Or what should I do if the modem doesn't solve the problem?

Blog Entries
    Residential internet is oversubscribed, it is a shared medium and ISPs over-sell it by several orders of magnitude (same available bandwidth is typically sold to 20+ people). Peak usage times are usually between 5PM and midnight, and that is when "congestion" occurs, that is typically when it all comes into play. Everyone comes back from work and starts streaming video, browsing, chatting, gaming, etc. The main bandwidth hog being video streaming, especially HD content.

Your modem signal levels play some role in how good your connection is, and it may be more pronounced in peak times. It is sometimes possible to get a better connection with a newer modem, but not very likely. It is also possible to get a different, less congested route if simply your external IP changes. You can sometimes prompt this by changing the MAC address of the NAT router connected to your modem (and rebooting both the modem and the router).. But it requires some time doing traceroutes, testing and noting IP addresses/routes/latency.

I have had the same connection for the past 3 years. I just find it weird that it just started happening these last 4 days. Also The area I live in is really small compared to lets say the area my parents live in. 1000 population vs 30,000 population.

Maybe someone new hooked up is what you are saying and is taking it all? And also if they guarantee at least 70% of the connection I should get money back for not getting the speed I should at least be getting.?

Blog Entries
    I would tackle the possibilities one at a time, a new modem may solve the issue, traceroutes (during the day and evenings) may give some insight as to what is the difference, etc.
    As to getting reimbursed, if you complain they may give you a one-time partial credit, but that does not resolve the problems.

Right. The modem said it delivered so Ill try that out when I get home. I will do a speed test on the modem thats hooked up first then I will hook up the new one and give it a try. I will let you know what I come up with. Thank you for the fast response!

So I did a speed test on the new modem. Still about the same.. The only difference now is that the speed jumps around a little bit. One speed test it will be 10mbps another might be 23 mbps. Im on hold to speak with a manager now.

So they finally had a tech come out and check some stuff out. Everything is good on my side. He said there is no reason why it should be running at such a low speed (4mbps) at 5pm. "congestion" would not be the problem in his words. The tech is coming again tomorrow to change some things and even move me to a new board. Ill keep an update if anything changes.

Blog Entries
    Moving you to "a new board" may help. If it is only happening at peak times, and it is consistently repeating every weekday it sounds like congestion.

Traceroutes, and modem signal levels both at times when your connection is good and when it is bad can possibly give you some insight.

Its not only weekdays, weekends also. Same time everyday.

Problem is solved. It was the board they had my on. Switched boards and everything runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by madmuttmatt View Post
    Problem is solved. It was the board they had my on. Switched boards and everything runs great.
    Those boards can really slow things down.