I have tried the following and still getting the Generic Host error. Seems like my internet connection , sometimes sound and the fact that the computer won't shutdown are the problems that I'm seeing. Here are the things I've tried.
1. Download, install and run CrapCleaner to remove any temporary and junk files.
2. Download Ad-Aware SE 1.06 and set it up as shown HERE.
3. Download SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4 and set it up as shown HERE.
4. Download SUPERAntiSpyware, update and do a full system scan.
5. Download AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, update and do a full system scan.
6. Download and run CWShredder.
7. Do a FREE online virus scan from BitDefender Online Scan and remove all that it finds.
8. If you aren't currently using a firewall or anti-virus profram then I suggest you install Comodo Firewall and Active Virus Shield - (setup instructions HERE), both are FREE and offer excellent protection.
9. It is a good idea to use Sysinternal's Autoruns to make sure you have removed all of the malware.
10. It it also a good idea to run the Winsock Fix to repair your TCP/IP stack. (you will have to redo any tweaks for your connection if this is used)
11. If after doing ALL of the above and you are still having problems please scan with HijackThis 1.99.1 as shown HERE and post a log here in this forum for us to look at.
12. Download SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 and set it up as shown HERE to help stay spyware free.
13. Make sure you have ALL of the latest Windows Updates.
Any ideas what my next step is? Thanks